Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Low temp, exhausted?

Hi all, I've been doing low-carb for about 6 months now and last week I began feeling so tired like I have the flu, but I don't.
Today I took my temp and saw that it is a full degree lower than normal.
Since last week I noticed that I was so tired in the afternoon and slept three hours and then even went to sleep without problem at night.
I've read a little about Thyroid on these boards and don't understand any of it.
Does low Magnesium cause any of this?
I stopped losing weight a few weeks ago and don't know why. I have cheated once or twice but that's about it, Some sweet red cabbage once and another time BBQ sauce. I am doing 20-30g carbs now and am at 180lbs. now.
Anybody know if low-carb causes any of this?
Or have any idea what it could be?
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Low temp and difficulty losing weight are classic thyroid symptoms, but there are many others- dry skin, constipation, being unable to think of words you know well, feeling cold when others are not, losing more hair than normal and others I can't think of right now. Do you have any of those?

There are many sources that say very low carb will damage your thyroid's performance (what "very low carb" means isn't agreed upon). I never believed it. I always that figured people with under-active thyroids are usually heavy and heavy people go on diets- it was correlation, not causation.

Now I'm not so sure. We all know our bodies are genetically programmed to hold on to weight for a famine and try to regain whatever we do manage to lose- especially women (I imagine because we may be called upon to produce another little human). There must be some mechanism inside of us to make that happen. I have read in a few places lately (and I can't remember where) that the thyroid is what does it.

Is it low carb in particular or any diet? I don't know. I do know I gain weight back very easily that I have lost LCing (far more than just the "water weight"), but that could just be age too because I haven't done anything but LC for any length of time in 20 years. Even if I am calorie counting or cycling, I am still low carb compared to the SAD.

Thyroid is pretty easily treated, but it can be quite difficult to find a good doctor and get the proper testing done. Good luck.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I see in reading the threads that a good Dr. is hard to find. All of my old Dr.s have passed away or retired now. I don't really have any other of those symptoms but I do remember reading about the low temp on one of these threads. I think I might get more vigilant with Potassium and Magnesium supplements since I didn't take any the first three or four months like Adkins suggests in the book.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I see in reading the threads that a good Dr. is hard to find. All of my old Dr.s have passed away or retired now. I don't really have any other of those symptoms but I do remember reading about the low temp on one of these threads. I think I might get more vigilant with Potassium and Magnesium supplements since I didn't take any the first three or four months like Adkins suggests in the book.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You don't need ALL the symptoms for thyroid. My major problem was fatigue--exactly as you describe. Unfortunately, my PCP kept telling me that it was 'normal aging,' and I stupidly believed him. It was only when my fatigue got so severe that I couldn't function that I self-referred to an endo who immediately treated me even before seeing any labs!

She told me that often hypothyroid becomes symptomatic while the blood levels 'seem' normal. That's why it's often so difficult to get diagnosed, especially since most of the symptoms ARE the same as 'normal aging.'

On the other hand, my niece was diagnosed at age 20 when a basic physical showed her TSH was 13! Many of her symptoms seemed just those of a 'moody teen,' and she would never have asked for a thyroid panel if her doctor hadn't included it when he ordered her labs.

So I'd suggest you try to get your thyroid tested--but first be sure you have a good doctor. I've found that my local pharmacist is a good source for 'advice' about doctors. Also, if you have any friends with thyroid issues, you can ask them about their doctors. Only AFTER I was diagnosed did I learn that 4 women I know well are also hypothyroid!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
six months is the classic "window" for weight loss. by then your body has gotten pretty scared about the whole thing, thinking you are experiencing a famine. so it does what it can to conserve your body weight to keep you alive until food is abundant again. think about very early man and that is when we evolved this helpful strategy. but not helpful today when we have food all the time and we just want to lose weight.

yeah, could be thyroid. could just as well be a different kind of conserving energy your body is doing...

you can see its point. to keep you alive in a famine, your body temp falls a bit and you stop moving around any more than you have to.

it's not low carb, it's weight loss by any means that does it. some of our bodies are more difficult this way than others.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I have almost all of the thyroid symptoms and have had them for many years, including years before low-carbing.

In this period of time I gained weight and struggled with losing (until discovering low-carb).

My average body temperature is 96.8 and I often feel like I have the flu when I don't, especially in the morning.

I think it's correlation rather than causation.

It has been checked with blood tests but they never find anything. I've heard though that you can have a type of thyroid problem that does not show in these tests.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-19-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Mr. Geiri...
I think I am going to buy a new thermometer just to be sure.
I did start taking Magnesium and potassium a couple of days ago and I think it might be helping. I have to admit I haven't been eating the 1/2 Avocado that Adkins recommends so I could be very low in potassium and since this diet does deplete minerals hopefully that is it. Your temperature is even lower than mine.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
I have almost all of the thyroid symptoms and have had them for many years, including years before low-carbing.

In this period of time I gained weight and struggled with losing (until discovering low-carb).

My average body temperature is 96.8 and I often feel like I have the flu when I don't, especially in the morning.

I think it's correlation rather than causation.

It has been checked with blood tests but they never find anything. I've heard though that you can have a type of thyroid problem that does not show in these tests.
Mr. Geiri,
When you had your tests done and they came back normal, did the doctor have any other diagnosis about your temperature? Has it always been that low even when you were younger or did it just start during low-carb?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I haven't had a fever since I was a teenager so I think this might have been going on for years.

To be honest I don't really know for sure. I only did the 5-day temperature testing for the first time this year.

And no he didn't mention any other disorders that might be causing it.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-23-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
I haven't had a fever since I was a teenager so I think this might have been going on for years.

To be honest I don't really know for sure. I only did the 5-day temperature testing for the first time this year.

And no he didn't mention any other disorders that might be causing it.
Maybe it's just the low-carb diet? Our bodies run cooler now like a well running engine..lol
I don't have any of the other symptoms. Never cold, of course I live in a very warm humid climate though.