Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
kinda bummed about my latest lipid panel :(

I recently got some lab work done, and despite my LC diet my total cholesterol and triglycerides are weirdly high! I'm just kinda disappointed and frustrated. I do put away a scary amount of guacamole/avocado, pecan butter, Walden Farms products and have a pretty huge salad with protein every night, but I guess I just expected better?

Cholesterol: 209 (125-200 MG/DL)
High Density Lipoprotein: 89 (> OR = 46 MG/DL)
CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO: 2.3 (< OR = 5.0)
Low Density Lipoprotein: 89 (<130 MG/DL)
Triglyceride: 153 (<150 MG/DL)
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL: 120
Target for non-HDL cholesterol is 30 mg/dL higher than LDL
cholesterol target.

This is my first test after going off the statin I'd been taking for years (and I started taking it very young), so I was expecting some fluctuation, but if triglycerides come largely from carbs and sugars, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong to fix it, I guess! Hopefully I can convince my doctor to just have us track these numbers for a few more months.

I don't count carbs, since I know I would get obsessive about it - I just do low carb in general and avoid all grains/starches/higher sugars, etc etc. I guess at least my HDL went way up from my last panel in December? (from a 51).

What's weird to me is that I've been losing weight pretty steadily for months now, so I know the LC is working. My most dramatic weight loss may have even been between this lab work and December's - so I guess the numbers won't always correlate!

Anyway this is definitely just me rambling now and being lame. If you've even read this far, I owe you a hearty handshake.
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Your numbers don't look bad to me. I'm not even sure why you were on a statin if these are your numbers off the med. You may be one of those people whose body makes a lot of triglycerides due to genetics. A high quality fish oil supplement (or krill oil) is very good at bringing down tri's. Your HDL is wonderful.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Your numbers don't look bad to me. I'm not even sure why you were on a statin if these are your numbers off the med. You may be one of those people whose body makes a lot of triglycerides due to genetics. A high quality fish oil supplement (or krill oil) is very good at bringing down tri's. Your HDL is wonderful.
Wow, Ronnie, that is SO incredibly sweet of you to say. You made me feel a bit better about the whole thing...I've been so down all day. I really, really appreciate it!

I think what got me is that triglycerides are almost a straight link to sugars and carbs, and it really seems like my diet is working (with all the weight loss!), so I'm not sure how they still ended up so high. I mean, both my parents are on statins, so there's definitely some genetic component involved. But I'm fairly youngish still (25) so it also worries me that if my numbers are this bad now...yeah. And most people around here seem to have trigs around like...55, so I was just letting myself get caught up in feeling like a loser.

But I will definitely look into taking some fish oil, I've been meaning to. Thanks again, Ronnie!!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm so glad you feel better about your numbers. My sister's tri's were very high, over 350, and she started on Krill Oil and her number is now under 100. So, it does work. I do know what you mean about eating well and how your numbers don't reflect that. I'm going through that now with my blood glucose. I cut way down on my carbs and starting testing myself with a meter and I thought I was doing great. But my latest blood test showed that my A1c is up to 6, which is pre-diabetic. So, that was a surprise, but who knows, if I had kept eating higher carb the way I was, I might be diabetic by now. Please keep up the good work. A healthy way of eating will pay off in the long run. I'm not an expert on cholesterol, but there are people here who are. Hopefully they'll post to give you more insight. But, again, tri's of 153 are not that bad at all.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Wait. You're 25 and been on statins for years? I'm sorry but that's insane.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Wait. You're 25 and been on statins for years? I'm sorry but that's insane.
I know, right? And honestly I was too young to really understand that it was something I could protest. I was like, ok. But then also, I could kinda see their logic? Like, this was a teenager with two parents on a statin and PCOS and insulin resistance eating a terrible diet, and my numbers were...not good, to say the least.

But now you can see why I'm bummed about THESE latest numbers. If I'm this bad now...urgh.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I'm so glad you feel better about your numbers. My sister's tri's were very high, over 350, and she started on Krill Oil and her number is now under 100. So, it does work. I do know what you mean about eating well and how your numbers don't reflect that. I'm going through that now with my blood glucose. I cut way down on my carbs and starting testing myself with a meter and I thought I was doing great. But my latest blood test showed that my A1c is up to 6, which is pre-diabetic. So, that was a surprise, but who knows, if I had kept eating higher carb the way I was, I might be diabetic by now. Please keep up the good work. A healthy way of eating will pay off in the long run. I'm not an expert on cholesterol, but there are people here who are. Hopefully they'll post to give you more insight. But, again, tri's of 153 are not that bad at all.
Again Ronnie, you are so sweet. Seriously, you're like a ray of sunshine! I started eating LC for the same reason - prediabetic with PCOS and a healthy dose of insulin resistance - and I got a meter too to keep my progress. I know when I bob up and down on my A1C I'm always like uhhh?? I swear, blood work is like my #1 for shaking my fists at the sky.

And exactly - if you hadn't made the diet changes you have, I'm sure you would have been worse off! In a way we're lucky that we caught this when we did and can take active steps. So you keep up your awesome work too!

And I'll check out the differences between krill oil and fish oil - either way, I've been meaning to start taking one of them. Good to know I have options with a good reputation to try out. I'm always researching supplements, haha!

Thanks again for the moral support, Ronnie!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
I agree that your HDL is awesome! That's what is driving up the total cholesterol numbers. So that's not a bad thing at all. Your LDL (which is the baddie) is way lower than the target and your ratio is great.

You Tri-G is high but perhaps the fish oil will help bring it down. Also sometimes things run amok a bit before settling down.

Last edited by webcrystal; 05-14-2014 at 09:57 PM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Those numbers are great! Nothing to worry about there.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Wow, you guys...thank you so much. All this helpful advice and reassurance...I'm honestly, like, moved. I was really down about this, so I can't say how much I appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Krill oil and fish oil are interchangeable, in terms of bioavailability, but krill oil tends to have much lower amounts of EPA and DHA (the stuff you want), while being less likely to have added soy (in the form of "mixed tocopherols"), which is a problem for me and some others.

I work hard to find soy-free fish oil, because my dog and I both take larger doses than would be financially reasonable via krill oil. If you're looking at an amount that would work for you in krill oil, go for it.

And remember, you're looking for fish oil or salmon oil, NOT cod liver oil. That's completely different.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

VERY helpful, Ntombi! Thank yoooouu!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You're very welcome.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote