Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Puffy eyelids

For the last few days, I've been waking up with swollen, puffy eyelids. I have to spend extra time in the bathroom splashing cold water on my face to get them to go down a little, and even then, they usually look puffy until about halfway through the day. I've been low carb again for about two weeks, and usually I have the opposite reaction with this WOE. This WOE usually makes my face lose fluid and look thinner.

Anybody else ever have this happen? Could it be the increase in salt since restarting LC eating? Or maybe it's just allergy season? Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep? Ugh. It makes me look horrible.

I just went for a well woman checkup last week, so I don't think it's anything serious. I'm going to see my regular doctor for my diabetes in a couple of weeks, too, so I guess I will mention it there if it's still an issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Hi seaofsand!
I'm not sure, it might be a salt or other nutrient imbalance, or allergies as you've said, but I think I would definitely mention it to my doctor so s/he can do the appropriate testing to rule out any other issues.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Yes I did have this happen, I thought I was getting an infection!!! I didn't do anything for them and after maybe 3 or 4 days I was fine again!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GS Fan
Stats: 358/221/160(-137 so far!)
WOE: WLS/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Jan2013/SurgeryJuly2013
For me, it is allergy issues and my opthalmologist recommends washing the eye area first thing in the morning with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and follow up with a warm compress for 3-5 minutes. It does seem to help!
GS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Puffy eyes can be a symptom of low thryoid, as well as the many other things - I'm glad you're going to the doctor! I hope you get to the bottom of it.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you find it's just puffiness, the best way to bring it down is using regular teabags. wet two with boiling water, just a tiny bit to hydrate them without much dripping. let cool, then put one over each closed eye. hold them on for a few minutes and check. a couple of rounds of this and they should be fine. rinse and go about your day. it can leave them feeling dry, so better only to do it when you really feel you need to look normal!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Thanks for the feedback and tips, everyone. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I just got a new laptop, and was without one for a few days.

I think whatever it was is getting better. My eyes have been less puffy. I think it's my allergies. Two days ago, my ears were plugged and ringing, my teeth were hurting, and I couldn't stop sneezing all day. Today, all of my symptoms have improved quite a bit. I still have to go to the doctor soon, so I'll mention it.

Thanks for the tips on how to deal with this when it happens!
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote