Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Eating high fat and triglycerides

A few days ago, I had a diabetes check up appointment. It was at 2 pm so I was told not to eat past 10 am that morning. So, between 9:30 and 10 am I had a OMM fried in butter like a grilled cheese, with cheeses and deli meat on it. My doctors office does the finger stick that tests cholesterol etc. Well, I have never had any issue with my cholesterol or triglycerides. My total cholesterol was 140 something. My HDL was 64. My HDL is always around 90. My LDL was like 80 or something. My triglycerides were 250 or 280 I cant remember. It was supposed to be under 150. But my point is, the doctor said by looking at these numbers, she could tell I ate something fatty. She was exactly right. Does that mean when I eat high fat, that it is throwing my triglycerides out of whack? Does it mean that it was off for those hours of the day from 10am to 2? That cannot be good for my body. I had them look up what my triglycerides have been in the past and they were always around 90. Now, this day I was not really fasting, but I may have been fasting several times before where the number was 90. But, still, that would mean for hours of the day when I eat high fat, that it is elevated.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's interesting, but I have no idea how reliable those numbers are--or what they mean.

My doctors [endo and primary] regularly test my lipids, but always with a fast of at least 12 hours and a blood draw--not a finger prick. I've never had lipid results from a finger prick.

However, even with fasting, I've noticed that what I've eaten 24 hours before labs makes a difference in my numbers. That's why my endo relies on an A1C for my blood glucose rather than just the fasting number. It's too bad there isn't an equivalent test for lipids--i.e., averaging over months rather than a one time.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you are consistently eating low carb, I would say those triglycerides #s are too high and something is amiss.

I almost always have mine done in a fasting state and my trigs are always around 60 but when I took part in a study recently, I was not fasting and my trigs were higher (around 90). It seems logical as those are the mechanism which shuttle the various foods through our bodies and they should be higher than when fasting. I would just wonder why yours were so high.

I do know that triglycerides do become much lower when on a low carb woe but not immediately. So if the days before were not particularly good in terms of lwo carb eating, that may have been showing.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
You really should fast about 12 hours before blood tests like that. They are pretty meaningless, anyway, but even more so when you've eaten only 4 hours prior.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I know, she's a doctor and I am just me, but I gotta tell you, triglycerides are almost directly connected to carb intake, not fat.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I know, she's a doctor and I am just me, but I gotta tell you, triglycerides are almost directly connected to carb intake, not fat.
Well she was right about the fat. My OMM was dripping in butter when I ate it 4 hours before. There were not many carbs in what I ate.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
From what I can read and find out about the finger prick cholesterol test can only measure total cholesterol. I wonder if this is the case with what you were using? If that is the case, I would want to know where that triglyceride number came from? It really makes no sense to me.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Low-carb pretty much always comes out better in comparison studies with other diets when it comes to triglycerides.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When you eat fat, call it ingested fat, trigs are the way that fat is transported around the body to be burned. These only stick around a short time, then are burned or stored. You happened to be tested during that short window of ingested fat processing. Hence, your doctor commenting that you had eaten fat.

Stored fat, call it carb generated fat, also moves around the bod via the same vehicle (trigs). Hence carbs cause high trigs.

For a cholesterol test to be accurate (and we will not go into my opinion of the accuracy of such testing) you really do have to fast for 10 - 12 hours. (Chuckle, fast too long - and the time is dependent on your metabolism - and trigs will be high because visceral fat cells will be busy releasing stored fat to be burned for fuel.)
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-18-2014 at 11:52 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote