Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Eating makes me tremble with cold chills

I start feeling super cold and my skin even turns ice cold to the touch but its usually only one arm/hand or leg/foot actually feels cold to the touch within just a couple of bites of food. It happens with all food and drink I originally thought it must be food intolerance or food temperature but even warm plain water does this. Does anyone have any idea why it happens and why only one part of my body turns ice cold while the other will be warm feeling? is just the act of eating/drinking setting off something strange? All the Doctor has said is there is a definite noticeable coldness to my skin and that it is strange. really helpful! I feel like I am going to literally freeze and when it happens my cold extremity gets very hard to move like it really is frozen

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I see lots of suggestions when I google [freezing extremities after eating] and similar queries. Good luck with this.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Totally just guessing here: maybe when your "gut" starts it's processing, it's pulling blood from other areas, kind of like when you're cold and your body pulls in the blood to warm the core, your extremities get cold.
I'd suggest talking to a cardiologist(or whatever type of doc handles vascular medicine) just to rule out anything like that.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
I ran across this thread several days ago:
DD coldness
I don't have enough posts or time joined to LCF to message anyone, but maybe you can get with some of these folks to brainstorm since it sounds related?

Last edited by MsKitty; 04-10-2014 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarity since I'm a scatterbrainopottamus
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I've always heard it called the "lunchroom shakes". Literally, when your body starts digesting food all heat (or most of it) goes into the digestion process and your extremities will feel cold sometimes. Maybe not as extreme as you've been experiencing and I wouldn't expect it to happen after only drinking beverages...
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the replies. I understand how blood moves toward the stomach for digestion but this is just can't be normal,I have to change my shirts multiple times because I start profusely sweating ONLY in my stomach and low back when I get this cold feeling. We are suppose to sweat to cool off so why the heck am I soaking my clothes in sweat when I am freezing. it makes no sense!
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
I know that after a full meal my hands become cold to touch and the rest of me needs to put on a light jacket...but not sweating.
There could be many things, but since you associate it only with "after eating" the connection is clear.
Has there been any family history of thyroid, Raynaud's, glucose processing, gut microbiota, cortisol dysfunction, adrenal fatigue....?
Sounds like a "functional medicine" focused physician would be helpful.
Keep a journal/log of frequency of signs/symptoms so that you will have documentation to provide to the new doc.
Keep after it. We all are our own best advocate.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
I know that after a full meal my hands become cold to touch and the rest of me needs to put on a light jacket...but not sweating.
There could be many things, but since you associate it only with "after eating" the connection is clear.
Has there been any family history of thyroid, Raynaud's, glucose processing, gut microbiota, cortisol dysfunction, adrenal fatigue....?
Sounds like a "functional medicine" focused physician would be helpful.
Keep a journal/log of frequency of signs/symptoms so that you will have documentation to provide to the new doc.
Keep after it. We all are our own best advocate.
Not only after eating it happens all the time even outside in the 90 degree summer weather I will be in sweat pants and bundled in comforters and still trembling with chills and sweating but it gets significantly worse after only 1 or 2 bites or drinks its as if just something in my stomach starts it off. I have been checked for everything including endocrine tumors. No Doctor has been able to tell me what is wrong but they all say something is there they just can't figure out what. I am an anomaly I just went to urgent care for flu symptoms and they rushed me to the hospital for tachycardia,irregular beats,severe sweating and chills things I deal with every single day but all they could do was shake their head and say I should see a cardiologist because my enzymes didn't indicate a heart attack like they were orignially concerned about but I have been there and done that. I am so tired. I don't know if its just because I live in a small town and there are no competent Doctors or if I have something so rare going on it just can't be found. so so over it! I just drank some hot water and I am so cold even my tongue and jaw feel numb and I can barely talk and I could hold a cup under my rib to collect the sweat pouring off of me. I wish I could at least find someone else who deals with this. Not many hits on google and the ones I do come up with no one has answers. There is one thing I have a theory of but because I only had a minor concussion I don't know that it could be the reason but brain trauma can cause heart and body temperature dysregulation and all of my problems started 3 months after I slipped and hit my head on ice. But its just a theory. I am grasping at straws!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
MSN08, this person's symptoms sound a lot like yours. She doesn't get any definitive answers, but it might be helpful to read.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/sclero...-off-at-night/
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GirlKickinIt
Stats: I can't get no...satisfaction!!
WOE: Atkins-Bernstien-High FAT
Start Date: 9/20/2001
So sorry you're having such a rough time!!

I think I'd be inclined to ask your doc to check that you're not anemic.
GirlKickinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlKickinIt View Post
So sorry you're having such a rough time!!

I think I'd be inclined to ask your doc to check that you're not anemic.
I have been checked for that also.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
MSN08, this person's symptoms sound a lot like yours. She doesn't get any definitive answers, but it might be helpful to read.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/sclero...-off-at-night/
thank you.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

just checked my temperature to see if I am going into hypothermia and it is 95.6 its like my blood has been replaced with ice water
Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I'm a former RN. I would strongly suggest seeking out an internal medicine doctor and/or possibly one with specialty in endocrinology to help sort out your issues.
I would keep a temperature journal and even be prepared to eat when you get to the doctor's office to "prove" the hypothermia if needed. I also would not delay in seeking someone else to treat you.
I'm really sorry you're having these issues though.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty View Post

.... I also would not delay in seeking someone else to treat you.
...DITTO...!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Not knowing where you live at, if this is even an option but the mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota is known for the place to go when other doctors just can't figure it out, totally understand about small towns and their hospitals and doctors, frustrating.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
I would also suggest a higher level clinic or university. I wouldn't even begin to know what specialty to start with though.

Have you been tested for food allergies? I know you said it doesn't matter what you eat or drink, even water, but let me tell you my son's story.

When he was in high school, DS24 had horrible nasal allergy symptoms. Now, he had been diagnosed with severe allergies to almost all plants along with dust mites, but had never been tested for food. His symptoms (runny nose, watering eyes, sneezing) increased whenever he ate or drank anything, even water. We didn't know why. He decided to follow low Carb and his allergy symptoms improved. One day he tried a low Carb wrap - his symptoms came back immediately. They return anytime he eats gluten.

What I'm trying to say is if you do have an allergy to something, maybe your body is so overwhelmed by it that it reacts to whatever you put in your mouth, preparing to defend itself against that unknown allergen enemy.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, it sounds truly horrible.

My thoughts are my reality.
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengoddess View Post
I would also suggest a higher level clinic or university. I wouldn't even begin to know what specialty to start with though.

Have you been tested for food allergies? I know you said it doesn't matter what you eat or drink, even water, but let me tell you my son's story.

When he was in high school, DS24 had horrible nasal allergy symptoms. Now, he had been diagnosed with severe allergies to almost all plants along with dust mites, but had never been tested for food. His symptoms (runny nose, watering eyes, sneezing) increased whenever he ate or drank anything, even water. We didn't know why. He decided to follow low Carb and his allergy symptoms improved. One day he tried a low Carb wrap - his symptoms came back immediately. They return anytime he eats gluten.

What I'm trying to say is if you do have an allergy to something, maybe your body is so overwhelmed by it that it reacts to whatever you put in your mouth, preparing to defend itself against that unknown allergen enemy.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, it sounds truly horrible.
Excellent point! I am on a heart event monitor for 2 weeks to see if I am having enough heart related symptoms for an ablation but the cardiologist said he is concerned I could have something like stomach cancer and it is just involving my heart with its symptoms. I had 8 ulcers a year ago and I was suppose to have a repeat endoscopy to make doubly sure there was no cancer and the cardiologist said given all of my symptoms together he worries that is what could be going on and I should get that repeat scope done because blood test wouldn't show if I had stomach cancer. I am terrified naturally and I have the scope scheduled for june 11th and am on a waiting list to be called early if possible. I really do want to get to the bottom of this and figure out why no matter how healthy I try to be my body goes against me but stomach cancer!?!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Prayers for solutions...coming your way.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
...I am terrified naturally...

I'm sorry that this is happening with you. I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel.
Please keep us posted. I actually kept looking for you to post back because I was worried about you.

Last edited by MsKitty; 04-15-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
Prayers for solutions...coming your way.
Quote:

I'm sorry that this is happening with you. I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel.
Please keep us posted. I actually kept looking for you to post back because I was worried about you.
Thank you both.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

MSN08: How are you doing?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am still waiting on the scope, I definitely think my stomach is the root of this just don't know why. I also have an appointment in 1 week to discuss ablation for my arrhythmia so at least I get some help for that finally. thank you for asking.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I am still waiting on the scope, I definitely think my stomach is the root of this just don't know why. I also have an appointment in 1 week to discuss ablation for my arrhythmia so at least I get some help for that finally. thank you for asking.
Please do keep us posted. Hadn't seen any posts from you in a while and I was concerned for you, so thought to follow up. (I think I must have been some sort of shepherd dog in another life.)
Take it easy in the meantime! I'll be watching out for any word from you.