Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Runny nose and sinus?

So, it appears everytime I eat something ( trying to identify what it could be), I get a runny nose and stuffed up.

Today I had some eggs and eggwhites with lettuce, broc, asparagus. at 12.

About 1 hour later, I was a mess. stuffed nose

I was fine for the rest of the afternoon, but then I ate a salad with tuna, egg whites and olive oil. It happened again. I wish I could identify what it is.

What I did notice is last week- no eggs, no nuts and no butter at ALL and no issues with sinus.

When I say I have butter, I am talking half a teaspoon. Really??? I think it might be eggs.. which is sad cause I really thought I found another protein source.

Ok, going to investigate this further but right now, it looks like the only time I do not have a reaction to foods is lettuce, broc, and meat. (including tuna). Even almond butter seems to get me congested. Weird!

Well, good thing I have this introspective nature or I would be in big trouble. Looking at this as another opportunity to find what works best for me.

Thoughts?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Ok, people, I dont have much food in the house, so I attempted to have two egg whites for my snack as I am doing my research. Immediately starting sneezing after I ate them.

Done.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
What a bummer! I'm so sorry!

I know it eliminates many things, but at least you know now.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NanaMary
Stats: 167/138/135
WOE: Low Carb High Fat
Start Date: January 2014
Hi Peace, just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Some people actually release histamine when eating-eating anything-and it causes an allergic reaction such as sneezing. I have terrible allergies and this happens to me, it also used to happen to my father (he's passed) and it happens to my sister as well. With me I just get a runny nose, but my sister goes through sneezing attacks with every meal! lol it's not dangerous or anything, it's just a weird quirk. I also have this reaction when I exercise, I have to have tissues on me and I admit that I have at times just blown my nose into my shirt during a good workout. Oh well. Gross but it works. lol good thing I work out at home.
NanaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaMary View Post
Hi Peace, just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Some people actually release histamine when eating-eating anything-and it causes an allergic reaction such as sneezing. I have terrible allergies and this happens to me, it also used to happen to my father (he's passed) and it happens to my sister as well. With me I just get a runny nose, but my sister goes through sneezing attacks with every meal! lol it's not dangerous or anything, it's just a weird quirk. I also have this reaction when I exercise, I have to have tissues on me and I admit that I have at times just blown my nose into my shirt during a good workout. Oh well. Gross but it works. lol good thing I work out at home.
I seem to have the same thing...we sit down to a meal and I have to pull out the tissues regardless of what I am eating.
My children have the sam issue but not my husband so I think it can be hereditary.
I also get this way with changes in temperature...even going from room to room where temperatures vary quite a bit...not so much at home but at work a lot.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Well eggs is one of the most common allergens. But the whites are what contain the proteins that most people are allergic to. You can try a dish with just the yolks and see. You can also get a blood test to confirm/rule out.
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Ok-- I have heard of histamine elimination before, and I forgot about it. From what I understand, nuts, eggs, fish ( certain) are bad histamine foods. Wow! learning new things everyday.

So, today I had NO eggs and NO egg whites and not too bad so far.I had a bit of a sinus issue this am, but it went away as the day progressed. I do think that the change in temp might have something to do with it.

Good point regarding eggs and I did not know the egg whites were the issue most of the time.

So, eliminate this week, and we will see how it goes!

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
this happens to me when I eat too much nut butter or just far too much fat at a time. I never thought it might be a hystamine thing, I just assumed it was more of a physical issue of eating too much XD perhaps it is, though!
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote