Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Anyone with adult ADD/ADHD had positive effects with LC? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/826279-anyone-adult-add-adhd-had-positive-effects-lc.html)

Mr_Geiri 03-21-2014 06:34 AM

Anyone with adult ADD/ADHD had positive effects with LC?

Just started reading "Grain Brain" (just few pages into it) and the main argument seems to be that high-carb diet is bad for brain disorders or even the cause of them.

So I'm curious if anyone here with ADD has had positive results. If so, at what point did you start feeling a change and at what point do you think you reached the full positive effects?

I've been doing this for 4 months now and I think it's mildly better, but I'm hoping to have more effects long-term. The medications have never worked well on me and I don't take any now.

solarpluvia 03-21-2014 03:02 PM

LC has had no effect on my ADHD. None. But it is generally easier to cope without the blood sugar crashes I used to get.

Spanilingo 03-21-2014 04:25 PM

No. As a matter of fact, as much as I love LC , I struggle much more with ADD when in long term Ketosis.

Many sensitivitiea to foods or food additives mimic symptoms of ADD so by removing the foods people assume they are helping their adhd when the problem was never ADHD to begin with or they only assumed they had it.

In my opinion and from my experience... It's unrelated

Mr_Geiri 03-22-2014 05:59 AM

Ohhh that's a shame. Thanx for sharing.

Hayek 03-22-2014 03:17 PM

Opposite for me. I noticed huge improvements as soon as I hit ketosis and all of those improvements remain as long as I stay in ketosis. Much easier to focus, none of that brain fog, easier to complete tasks in an order without getting distracted as easily. Also notice huge improvements in moods too as well as anxiety. The mental benefits alone are enough to make me stick with it.

aryn12205 03-22-2014 03:30 PM

I have had no improvements in my ADD through diet. I have more energy, and my moods are better, but I'm still as scatterbrained and forgetful as usual. What HAS helped, though, is ACV. My mental clarity seems to be heightened when I keep up with taking it 1-2x a day.

backseatadventurer 03-26-2014 06:34 PM

I don't think this is a strict relationship where carbs always do or do not influence ADHD. I think whether you have good results depends on how many carb related symptoms you were experiencing and whether that aggravated or even triggered ADHD symptoms. Then there is the issue of what ADHD symptoms you have and how severe they are.

My family on my father's side has ADHD and he and I both have attention related issues but not enough for a diagnosis. My uncles and cousins were diagnosed and put on meds which has helped them greatly. When my father and I went on LCHF with strictly no grain products at all, our head fog cleared and our ability to focus improved. One of my uncles has gone on a slightly less strict LCHF diet and has been able to reduce his meds. He is now trying to convince his daughter to give it a go.

Would going on strict LCHF allow my uncle to drop his meds entirely? I have no idea. For the sake of my curiosity, I'd love to see him try this and all my other family too. Sadly, they'd tell me where to shove my Dr Frankenstein tendencies :D

eclipse8787 04-03-2014 10:24 PM

Does anyone take meds for ADD and have successful weight loss?

I'm taking 36mg of Concerta daily for ADHD. I have been on induction for 5 days but haven't lost more than a pound. I'm wondering if the medication is stalling the weight loss.

This is my second time doing Atkins. I did it 6 years ago, and I remember the weight coming off much faster. I wonder what is causing the stall now. I am 6 years older, take ADD medication, have more stress, and probably eat too much even tho it's very low carb.

Ketosis strips have been dark pink for past few days. Frustrating! :down:

Just remembered that I've quit smoking (1.5 years ago) since last time. Maybe that's it?

I feel irritated, hungry, and more ADD this week. I think my body must just be adjusting. We'll see..

Mr_Geiri 04-04-2014 11:50 AM

Never ever heard of a stimulant slowing down weight loss.

Going off the meds is what you have to worry about. In fact that was my first time going overweight. Really ****s up your metabolism.

eclipse8787 04-04-2014 12:42 PM

I have had weird side effects on Concerta. I go all day without an appetite then crash in the evenings when I eat like crazy.

I agree that it messes with your metabolism.

Mr_Geiri 04-04-2014 12:53 PM

Well it has similar effects on your body as amphetamines.

If you crash in the evenings it's probably because it's out of your system by then and you appetite suddenly comes back. Some people manage to solve this by taking a smoller dosage twice, one in the morning and one around noon, rather than just one in the morning. Do I remember it correctly that they work for about 10 hours?

Either way I think weight loss is one of it's most common side effects, happens for almost everyone that takes it. Weight gain or stalling weight loss from it I've never heard of.