Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pitlin
I am so bummed

Just got my cholesterol test results back,and I was very happy with my numbers. My total was 225, LDL was 133, HDL was 77, and Trigs were 73. My Dr. wants to put me on statins. I said no, and she is not at all happy about it. I pointed out that my ratios were great,it didn't matter. Getting a new Dr. is not really an option, there are very few health care providers in my area that except my insurance.
pitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't see keeping my doctor 'happy' as my responsibility.

For several years, my LDL was high, and my primary doctor, as well as my cardiologist and endo, all made 'statin noises.' I ignored them.

They all knew that I was hypothyroid--and had gone undiagnosed for over 5 years thanks to my primary who missed all the signs. What I learned on my own (that they all admitted later was true) is that my low thyroid caused elevated LDL.

When I was provided with appropriate thyroid Rx, my LDL slowly went down.

What was particularly annoying to me is that my cardiologist and endo are otherwise excellent doctors, but they have been so 'brainwashed' by Big Pharma that they just had a 'reaction' to my LDL number without realizing that the elevated number was due to my untreated thyroid.

Use your judgment. I doubt that your doctor would refuse you as a non-compliant patient over this, and if she does, then you are better off finding another one.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
what you say is true Leo, yet a doctor can also decline to treat people who too blatantly refuse to do what they are asked to, can't they? I find it better to humor them and act dumbish sometimes.

as far as statins go, I had to get a VAP test and keep referring to the particle size stuff it turned up. it seems to shut them up.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yes, raven. I thought I mentioned the fact that the OP might be risking the doctor refusing care for a 'non-complaint' patient, and that's why I said it's the OP's 'judgment call' on this.

Personally, rather than take a Rx that I didn't deem necessary, I'd find another doctor rather than capitulate to 'keep' him or her.

In fact, I've refused doctor's suggestions or recommendations with no problems at all. When we're in agreement, I'm the most compliant patient in the universe, and IMO that's how it should work.

I was just reading on another thread where some woman wants to start Atkins, but her doctor insists that she must also 'eat fruit.' To me, that's totally nutty; fruit is unnecessary, and if that were my own doctor, I'd nod my head and pretend to agree and ignore fruit. Sometimes it's not that easy--as with taking statins. But they are far too dangerous to take simply to humor the doctor, IMO.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't see keeping my doctor 'happy' as my responsibility.
Indeed, you shouldn't.

Quote:
For several years, my LDL was high, and my primary doctor, as well as my cardiologist and endo, all made 'statin noises.' I ignored them.
I love it when I see independent thinkers.

Quote:
They all knew that I was hypothyroid--and had gone undiagnosed for over 5 years thanks to my primary who missed all the signs. What I learned on my own (that they all admitted later was true) is that my low thyroid caused elevated LDL.
You folks on here are smarter than any doctor I've encountered.

Quote:
When I was provided with appropriate thyroid Rx, my LDL slowly went down.
There ya go! And I bet the docs were shocked, too. Absolutely baffled. Astounded. Confounded. Turned their world upside down. Then they forgot about it the next day.

Quote:
What was particularly annoying to me is that my cardiologist and endo are otherwise excellent doctors, but they have been so 'brainwashed' by Big Pharma that they just had a 'reaction' to my LDL number without realizing that the elevated number was due to my untreated thyroid.
Classic Brainwashed-Doctor-Syndrome. (BDS)

Quote:
Use your judgment. I doubt that your doctor would refuse you as a non-compliant patient over this, and if she does, then you are better off finding another one.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. My mom had undiagnosed diabetes for years before some doctor finally had an extra brain cell to spare and decided to have my mom's blood sugar tested. She'd go in for yeast infection after yeast infection after yeast infection and no one thought to test her all those years. Someone should smack these "doctors" upside the head.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
There are way too many doctors out there to ever suffer one who thinks they're an omnipotent god.

Not sure if you're male or female but if you're a female, then statins won't help you anyway. You might want to get ahold of a book by Dr. Malcolm Kendricks called "The Great Cholesterol Con". It's an eye opener.

You say finding another doctor is not an option *but* I find it hard to believe he is the 'only' doctor in your area that accepts your medical coverage. Not many insurance programs are that severely limited. Keep looking...before you actually need a doctor who will listen to you and work with you. Doctors like the one you have (i.e. don't listen) are harmful to your long term health.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote