Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Regularity issues

I have been having um....regularity issues for a while now, since November. I am on Miralax twice a day, and taking 18g of Fiber plus what I am eating based on what my Dr recommended, still only going every 2-3 days. What else can I do? Do I need to see a gastroenteroligist? I also have extremely bad gas some nights, I about kill my husband with my stench It has gotten better since I went back on my diet 2 weeks ago but some nights it makes me wanna puke it's so stinky.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Going every 2-3 days is normal, as long as you have an easy time passing bowel movements. If you are having difficulty with that you may find cutting down on fiber helps. Also try supplementing with magnesium.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
On magnesium, my Dr told me that I should be going daily, and he told me to increase fiber. They are mostly very difficult to pass which is why we increased the fiber. If I don't take the Miralax twice a day, I don't go for days.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Google "Eades fiber" and read what Dr. Eades has to say about fiber. It can actually make constipation worse. A zero carb diet can actually help relieve idiopathic constipation.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have chronic constipation, and over the years I've consulted several gastros. NO DOCTOR has told me that I should be going daily. In fact, they have all cautioned me not to expect daily bowel movements.

Fiber is 'iffy.' It helps some people, but it can also make constipation worse in others. My current gastro told me that he himself gets constipated with fiber.

So you may actually be working against the Miralax with your fiber intake. I say this because daily Miralax [i.e., 1x a day] works for almost everyone (provided you aren't already constipated; if so you need a laxative before beginning the Miralax). You should not need it 2x a day.

In your situation, I'd suggest seeing a gastroenterologist.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyJo
Stats: 247/239/145
WOE: low carb all the way!
Start Date: January 15, 2014
Please google (or check out) taking baths (3 times per week) in Epsom Salts. Epsom Salts contain magnesium sulfate, and while it is not absorbed as well internally, your SKIN absorbs it quite well.

I hope you notice the difference!
JudyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
How much fat are you eating? Fat helps some people much more than fiber. Personally, fiber does the opposite for me than what "they" say it should. Fat is where its at.

The gas could be caused by an intolerance to something you are eating too. Wheat, eggs and dairy are the big three foods for allergies, but people can react to lots of things.

You could also read up on "gut health" or a similar search. There is a ton of information going around right now. Have you tried probiotics?

There is something going wrong in your innards. Forcing the waste out periodically with a laxative will give you some relief temporarily, but the long-term solution will be more complicated.