Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
The Independent Patient: An Open Letter to Patients Everywhere

The Independent Patient
An Open Letter to Patients Everywhere

I am a patient suffering from insulin resistance and possibly other health conditions that I have not yet fully confirmed via blood tests. I know that I have insulin resistance because, in addition to a list of symptoms, I took a fasting insulin blood test and my result was 12.8 uIU/mL. I discussed this result with several doctors who deal with insulin resistance on a regular basis in their practices and they said that I had insulin resistance based on this test result. I currently take no medications for insulin resistance and manage my condition by including protein with every meal, or most meals, and by cutting back on carb intake.

I vehemently reject the current and prevalent medical method of treatment in which each condition or symptom is treated acutely, as though it were in a vacuum, and a pill prescribed for each one.

But I also vehemently reject the notion that one must treat one’s condition(s) via trial and error, spending hundreds or thousands on medications or neutraceuticals to see which ones, and in which combinations, will be effective. It is time to demand more from “modern medicine.”

It is time to demand more than each symptom or condition being treated acutely or separately or as though it existed in a vacuum.

It is time to demand more than to have to try many different medications or neutraceuticals or combinations of them in order to know which one(s) will work.

It is time to demand that doctors take the time and make the effort to find the root cause of your condition(s) and symptoms and find effective targeted treatment(s) for it/them.

Anything less is to lower yourself to the level of a lab rat awaiting life-disrupting and potentially life-ending “treatments.”

Dear doctor, I am not a lab rat. I am a human being. And I demand enough of your time and attention to discover the root cause of my symptoms. If you will not take the time and give me the attention required to find the root cause, and instead insist on treating each symptom acutely, or treating me by trial and error, then I would be better off not even coming into your office. As a patient who is suffering, I deserve more.

Ultimately, by health is in my own hands. If you cannot respect my health as much as I do, then it will stay that way.

Sincerely,
The Independent Patient

Last edited by Seeking; 03-13-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13
Bravo!
Physicians must learn to treat each patient individually instead of lumping them into a "one pill fits all " category based upon their disease.
Ive reversed my IR with a low garb lifestyle, and believe many people could do the same if their health care provider would empower them with the knowledge needed to do so.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
You can treat the root cause yourself by eating very low carb. How many grams of carbs are you currently eating per day?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote