Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
Issues with kidney?

So I did some routine lab work today... And I have to come see the doctor about it... The issue was

My creatinine levels are abnormally high
My egfr levels are now abnomally low- they were twice as high 6 months ago.

I will see the doctor about it but I am concerned that whatever he is going to say about it he will attribute it to the low carb diet. Has anyone else had this experience. I am not too sure what this all means I really would hate to have to give up my way of eating.
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Your word "abnormally" is a red flag to me that the test result could be an error and should be repeated. The same thing happened to my husband....I was so upset that in my head I was imagining him on dialysis Our doctor retested and the result was normal. So, please talk to your doctor about a repeat test.

As far as your diet affecting your kidneys, I'm not one of the people here who know all about low carbing, but maybe your protein intake is too high? Again, though, I think you should retest.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/150/130
Start Date: November 2012
thanks for your reply Ronnie51, I am going to ask for a re-test. I am not too sure what the results mean but maybe the labwork was taken at a weird time. I almost feel like it was a mistake or something so I think I would like a retest. Maybe I will allow a few months in between to allow it to go back to normal. How long did your husband wait to get retested. Do you think it is possible that there was a mistake on his original lab work?
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I once had extensive blood testing done because of a possible familial disorder. The hematologist told me that he never makes a diagnosis based on a single lab report (he actually repeated $2600 worth of tests--all covered by insurance) because in his experience lab error is rampant.

Ever since then, I've never been concerned about any specific lab report (I'm hypothyroid and have frequent lab tests). Numbers that are out of range are always within range in the next report. It's either lab error or some anomaly, but that's been my experience for the past 30 years.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1 View Post
thanks for your reply Ronnie51, I am going to ask for a re-test. I am not too sure what the results mean but maybe the labwork was taken at a weird time. I almost feel like it was a mistake or something so I think I would like a retest. Maybe I will allow a few months in between to allow it to go back to normal. How long did your husband wait to get retested. Do you think it is possible that there was a mistake on his original lab work?
The retest was about a week later; the doctor suspected it was an error since my husband never had an abnormal kidney result before and this result was, as you said, "abnormally" high. This was a while ago and he hasn't had a bad kidney test since then.

I do agree with Leo and so does my doctor, apparently. I often get one or two isolated out of range results, and he's never concerned. And as Leo said, they always come back in range on subsequent tests. Of course, if they don't, then the results warrant further investigation.

Good luck with your test. I'm hoping it was a mistake.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Did they test your GFR, as well? I'd venture to say the elevated creatnine is an isolated incident if you have no history of renal problems. Our kidneys are great at compensating (thus masking) issues early on into a disease process, so it's definitely worth investigating. Please keep us updated!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

It's my understanding that the GFR is taken from your creatinine & BUN so if they're not accurate then the GFR won't be either.