Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jshore
Stats: 178/127/145. 5'6 highest wt 225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 8, 2013
What did she mean?

22 years ago I went for the 3 hour Fasting Glucose Test when I was pregnant with my son. The nurse came out and said you are not Diabetic but you metabolize sugar weirdly and off she went.

Since Ive been a child if I have two candy bars on an empty stomach I will be asleep within 20 minutes, it feels like I've taken a sleeping pill. Naturally I found a way to get around this effect by eating a full meal then eating all the sweets. Almost all my weight gain can be attributed to sugar, I'm a true addict. I should have had a tee shirt made up with the words "Body by Haagen Daaz, Devil Dogs and Ring Dings" lol

I'm proud to say I haven't had any sugar since February 8, 2013 but it hasn't all been a cake walk haha.

Anyway do you think the nurse meant I was Insulant Resistant, Hypo or Hyperglycemic or what? Thank you.

Stacy

Last edited by Jshore; 03-03-2014 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Jshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eraser51
guess she meant insulin resistant

did you tested your hormones yet?

I did and it was eye opening. sadly most general doctors dont do anything like that so you need to see a hormonal doc
eraser51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jshore
Stats: 178/127/145. 5'6 highest wt 225
Start Date: February 8, 2013
Thank you for your reply. I've never had my level of hormones tested however I went through full menopause 6 years ago. Menopause was tough the first 18 months, I ate everything that wasn't nailed down. I wasn't watching my cArbs then but I would be hungry within an hour of eating. I sympathize with any of you ladies going through it.

Stacy
Jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
22 years ago I went for the 3 hour Fasting Glucose Test when I was pregnant with my son. The nurse came out and said you are not Diabetic but you metabolize sugar weirdly and off she went.
That could mean anything.

Quote:
Since Ive been a child if I have two candy bars on an empty stomach I will be asleep within 20 minutes, it feels like I've taken a sleeping pill.
Me too, but it really started in my teens.

Quote:
Naturally I found a way to get around this effect by eating a full meal then eating all the sweets.
I bet your full meal includes plenty of protein. That's the way I handle it now. If I don't include protein, especially in that critical first meal, I'm wiped out the rest of the day.

Quote:
Almost all my weight gain can be attributed to sugar, I'm a true addict. I should have had a tee shirt made up with the words "Body by Haagen Daaz, Devil Dogs and Ring Dings" lol
LOL! Mine is from chocolate and cinnamon buns and bagels and cakes and brownies.

Quote:
Anyway do you think the nurse meant I was Insulant Resistant, Hypo or Hyperglycemic or what? Thank you.

Stacy
Any of the above. The only way to know is to take a look at the blood test you did all those years ago and see what that result was. But I'd say that what's going on with your blood sugar and insulin levels now a-days is more important than what they were doing a long time ago.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Do you think it may be an allergy to sugar instead of an insulin problem? Non-lethal food allergies can make people fall asleep and also lead to addictive desires for the food.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
She was pretty vague ... if I had to guess, Id say IR?
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote