Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Adrenal fatigue and low carb diet??

Hey guys!!!!

Anyone know if low carbing helps or worsens the adrenal glands?? I have just been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and was eating a Paleo diet. After googling and researching websites claimed that low carving put more stress on the adrenal glands thus making them suffer more.

So I decided to up my carbohydrate level by eating fruit, dairy, sweet potatoes. Basically a TON of natural sugars.

Now I'm dealing with with the worst adrenal fatigue symptoms (absolute exhaustion constantly, can't sleep,no motivation, bad carb cravings) plus an extremely bad pms month.

Is it sugar or dairy that makes cramps worse for women every month???

Just feeling cruddy and need some help.

Anyone dealt with adrenal fatigue and cured it??

Thanks guys!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Who diagnosed you? I ask because it seems to me that person would be the best one to advise about diet to support adrenal health.

I'm no physician, but I suspect this is a YMMV situation. A person's best carb level and overall best WOE is individual. Some people (me) thrive on very low carb (<20g), but others need higher levels for good health.

A medical person who has diagnosed your problem would be more familiar with the dietary solutions, it seems to me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I went to a naturopath about a year ago (due to a recommendation from the board) and she diagnosed adrenal problems (after a laboratory test as well as symptoms). She prescribed natural medication as well as diet advice.

(I don't think the adrenal problems came from low carb, although I was doing the JUDDD/intermittent fasting programme for a while and that might have exacerbated it.)

One thing she emphasized is that blood sugar spikes can worsen adrenal fatigue. With that in mind, eating TONS of natural sugar does not sound like a good idea. You might try less amounts of natural sugar and balancing it out with more fat/protein. Also you might try going off dairy and seeing if that helps in case you have a dairy allergy that is worsening it. You can also get carbs from legumes and that might be easier on your system than sugars.

Personally I'd recommend listening to your body and doing whatever makes you feel best - if what you are doing now makes you feel bad, it's probably not right.

Last edited by Avicenna; 02-27-2014 at 03:29 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Following this....
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Just as we can experience induction flu when changing over to LC eating, we can experience carb flu when changing back. This may pass in a few days.

Or you might consider checking your BG levels. Unexpected carbs could be making an underlying problem worse.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigkane
I have been experiencing this for months with no relief. I found out that in low carb that some people will develop low serotonin because tryptophan that the body uses to make serotonin is being used in the process of converting fat to ketones. There's a supplement called 5-HTP(hydroxy tryptophan) that you can take and your body will convert it straight into serotonin. I've been taking this miracle supplement for 5 days and have completely reversed my extreme fatigue. Do a search for low serotonin symptoms and see if you can relate to them. You cannot take 5-htp with antidepressants or the pain pill ultram. Doing so can cause serotonin syndrome. The 5-htp has been a life changing experience for me. I feel better than I have in years. No fatigue no depression and my drive for life is back.
bigkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Just popping in here to let you know that "Adrenal Fatigue" will be on Dr Oz's show today. I have it set to record.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I missed the show Dawn, can you hit the high points?
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote