Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teresasnp
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/2011 again
How Low Carb has improved your lipid panel

I am a Nurse Practitioner and attempt this lifestyle most of the time. I also try to incorporate this lifestyle in my teaching to my patients. I would love to hear how Low Carbing has improved or worsened your lipid panels. Thinking of doing some research in the area.
teresasnp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/216/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My triglycerides were in the 300's when I started. The last time I had them checked(last feb) they were in the normal range. I went from being almost 300 pounds, on insulin, feeling like I was dying, on HBP meds, to being 200 pounds, off diabetes meds, off BP meds, and feeling so much better.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I was on b.p. meds and a statin. I have been off all those for close to 4 yrs. and my doctor (who is not given to grand statements) describes my lipid panel as fantastic. If it would be helpful to have the actual # s, I would be happy to share those.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
I'm on pravastatin so I couldn't help but I'm curious if anyone out there is keeping track and their results.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teresasnp
Start Date: 8/2011 again
Thanks for the posts. This is so great to hear!!!! Keep the post coming!!!
teresasnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/159.8/130
Start Date: November 2012
I had high cholesterol both overall, ldl, and hdl in March 2012. The doctor told me to eat "whole grains" etc... follow the food pyramid and if it didn't help then we would have to start meds.

In November of 2012 I embarked on my low carb WOE

By March 2013 I repeated the labs because I was worried that I was making my cholesterol worse. IT WENT COMPLETELY BACK TO NORMAL.

I work with the doc who gave me the results and he asked me what I did to bring it down. I said that all I was eating was meat and veggies. He seemed confused and in disbelief. I think he thought I was joking.
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/159.8/130
Start Date: November 2012
oh yes and I have a copy of my results if you ever need it for any research! But yes... low carb worked for me. I also work in a medical setting and was telling one of my patients how I lost the weight because she was asking about it. Now she has lost more weight on it than I have. I can't believe it. For some people, this diet works so well. For myself, it is slow and steady.
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

And it continues to get better over time and adherence. I think it is important to note that some people's ldl increases during weight loss and this is because of the fat cells being released into the blood system.

The other thing I would like to add is that the lipid hypothesis is just that... a hypothesis not proven fact and not all that well understood. For a really informative discussion on the subject, I would recommend Chris Masterjohn. He is amazing!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
My hubby's triglycerides took a big dip, from about 85 to 54. His HDL, always fairly low, went way up. Total cholesterol stayed pretty high though. My triglycerides went down from about 90 to 60, cholesterol stayed about 200, same as on high carb diet. When I added coconut oil and heavy cream my total cholesterol skyrocketed to 250. I had to cut back on those and cholesterol it went back to 200.

Last edited by Heidinem; 02-07-2014 at 04:00 AM..
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperTop
Stats: 178/131.2/130
WOE: Moderate carb/protein/fat
Start Date: January 15, 2006
I just had blood tests done and I'm very disappointed with the results. I went in feeling pretty smug and just knew everything would be great. Well, total cholesterol was 343!!
Dr. put me on Lipitor 40mg and I couldn't really argue because the numbers were so bad. Blood pressure was also high. We will re-check in 6 weeks and I'm hoping it significantly improves.
I recently started having the BPC every morning so will cut that out. I will stay low carb, but go back to using olive oil and small amounts of butter so will moderate the fat.
I am 64 and have always been healthy and I hate taking pills so this has kind of thrown me for a loop.
I am determined to have better numbers at the 6 week check and get off the statin.

Quit smoking Jan. 10, 2007
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

From what I was reading, coconut oil can raise your LDL but also your HDL. You have to look at the cholesterol ratio to determine your risk for heart disease. To find your cholesterol ratio, you divide your total cholesterol number by your HDL, or good, cholesterol number. If it is under 5:1, you are doing fine. The ideal cholesterol ratio is about 3.5:1. (from WebMd).

Evening though I am taking pravastatin, I am leery of docs pushing the statins.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I don't have a previous baseline so I dunno if I've improved, but my recent numbers are below. Without having the VAT test for the LDL, I can only hope that I have more large LDL than VLDL. I'm okay with the numbers for the HDL and the trig, but my ratios are not where I want them to be so obvs they need to improve. Some people report fast results and I suppose some people have to give it more time. But overall, I'm assuming I'm on the right track.

If only 15-20% of chol comes from food containing chol, I can't see where eating chol-rich foods is making that big a difference one way or another, tho some people SWEAR it's their low fat diet that lowers their chol.

Statins lower your entire chol, i.e. even the "good" chol, right, by blocking your liver from producing it? Seems to me a pretty inexact way of telling your body to stop doing something it needs to do (chol is necessary to body functions). I realize some people, tho, would RATHER take this "magic pill". I wonder if they're the same people that laugh at the people that also want a magic pill for weight loss? I will never take a statin.

From time to time, I get a high systolic number but then I go down again to 120/80 so I will say my BP is okay.
LDL: 191

Last edited by Madmarsha; 02-07-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

BP was 158/90
Total cholesterol-343
Triglycerides-122
HDL-66
LDL-253

I appreciate any input as it's very confusing.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
BP was 158/90
Total cholesterol-343
Triglycerides-122
HDL-66
LDL-253

I appreciate any input as it's very confusing
Individually, your trig are okay (below 150) as is your HDL (anything above 50 I think).

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 5.20 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) AT RISK
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.261 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.818 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL.

So you need to work on increasing your HDL (no smoking, lose weight, more physical activity, avoid trans fats, moderate alchol, possibly taking niacin, increasing Omega 3 fatty acids). Your BP, as you know, is high.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I just had blood tests done and I'm very disappointed with the results. I went in feeling pretty smug and just knew everything would be great. Well, total cholesterol was 343!!
Dr. put me on Lipitor 40mg and I couldn't really argue because the numbers were so bad. Blood pressure was also high. We will re-check in 6 weeks and I'm hoping it significantly improves.
I recently started having the BPC every morning so will cut that out. I will stay low carb, but go back to using olive oil and small amounts of butter so will moderate the fat.
I am 64 and have always been healthy and I hate taking pills so this has kind of thrown me for a loop.
I am determined to have better numbers at the 6 week check and get off the statin.
I would encourage you to do a bit of research on what your numbers really mean and what they don't really mean. I think there is a very readable book on the market called 'cholesterol clarity' and there are many very well educated and smart people who are speaking on the subject. One that I particularly think is very good is Chris Masterjohn and he has a blog called the Daily Lipid and has many podcasts as a guest on various shows. Jimmy Moore has had him as a guest more than once.

The statin is of particular concern. Please do your research. You must advocate for yourself.

It would be good to know if you are taking any other meds, and what your diet consists of . Low carb is a relative term.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I would encourage you to do a bit of research on what your numbers really mean and what they don't really mean. I think there is a very readable book on the market called 'cholesterol clarity' and there are many very well educated and smart people who are speaking on the subject. One that I particularly think is very good is Chris Masterjohn and he has a blog called the Daily Lipid and has many podcasts as a guest on various shows. Jimmy Moore has had him as a guest more than once.

It is very important also to remember that when we are talking about lipid panels we are talking about a hypothesis. It is not a clear cut science and when you do some investigating, you will understand why that is.

The statin is of particular concern. Please do your research. You must advocate for yourself.

It would be good to know if you are taking any other meds, and what your diet consists of . Low carb is a relative term.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=clackley;16791871]
It would be good to know if you are taking any other meds, and what your diet consists of . Low carb is a relative term.[/QUOTE

I have calmed down a little since I was given these numbers yesterday and have been non-stop googling. I do not want to take statins.
Here's a little more info--
I don't like the doctor and only go when absolutely necessary. I needed a referral to the dermatologist for a spot on my face that needs attention and I was/am concerned about hair loss. My hair has gotten noticeably thinner over the last 6 or 8 months.
Thyroid numbers were also elevated and was given script for 50 mcg Synthroid. I am okay with that as I really don't want to lose more hair.

I took the first dose of Synthroid last night but decided to not take the Lipitor. I read that thyroid issues can elevate cholesterol and I also thought it best to only begin with one drug to gauge side effects.

As for diet--I eat meat, eggs, cheese, nuts and fats. I don't like chicken and eat fish rarely. I eat veggies but not daily. I have been pretty free with the fats- bacon grease, coconut oil and butter. Also eat avocado and sour cream and use almond milk in my coffee.

Sorry this is so long.
Thank you so much
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
[quote=CopperTop;16791933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It would be good to know if you are taking any other meds, and what your diet consists of . Low carb is a relative term.[/QUOTE

I have calmed down a little since I was given these numbers yesterday and have been non-stop googling. I do not want to take statins.
Here's a little more info--
I don't like the doctor and only go when absolutely necessary. I needed a referral to the dermatologist for a spot on my face that needs attention and I was/am concerned about hair loss. My hair has gotten noticeably thinner over the last 6 or 8 months.
Thyroid numbers were also elevated and was given script for 50 mcg Synthroid. I am okay with that as I really don't want to lose more hair.

I took the first dose of Synthroid last night but decided to not take the Lipitor. I read that thyroid issues can elevate cholesterol and I also thought it best to only begin with one drug to gauge side effects.

As for diet--I eat meat, eggs, cheese, nuts and fats. I don't like chicken and eat fish rarely. I eat veggies but not daily. I have been pretty free with the fats- bacon grease, coconut oil and butter. Also eat avocado and sour cream and use almond milk in my coffee.

Sorry this is so long.
Thank you so much
Excellent on all counts!!

I take synthroid as well. It is my understanding that it should be taken first thing in the morning (empty stomach) with a full glass of water. No dairy for at least 1/2 hours. Apparently that can interfere with absorption.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, a wonky thyroid can definitely affect cholesterol! I'm glad to hear you went the route you did. I'm also on (generic) Synthroid--75mcg, and my endo and I still adjusting the dosage. It takes a while to figure out what works best for your body. Yes, take it alone first thing in the morning.

Just one more note: levothyroxine can take up to three months of continuous use to stabilize in the system, so I wouldn't go bother to be retested in six weeks.

Last edited by Ntombi; 02-08-2014 at 10:49 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
BP 110/60
Total cholesterol: 172
HDL 60
Triglycerides 100
LDL 97
HgbA1C 4.9
These numbers were a mess before my banding and following a low carb diet. Count me in, like many others!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Anyone taking a statin, Please take CoQ10. Statins deplete CoQ10 which the body needs.

When my thyroid numbers were up in the past, my cholesterol was too. Adjusted the thyroid hormone replacement and my cholesterol numbers dropped 30 points. It's all connected.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Anyone taking a statin, Please take CoQ10. Statins deplete CoQ10 which the body needs.

When my thyroid numbers were up in the past, my cholesterol was too. Adjusted the thyroid hormone replacement and my cholesterol numbers dropped 30 points. It's all connected.
Thanks for the info !