Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Coconut Oil & Detox Symptoms

I just started oil pulling again with coconut oil. My primary reason for oil pulling is to clean my mouth as I have a permanent retainer bar that gets plaque build up on it. I oil pulled last year as well and the dentist was surprised at how clean my teeth were considering it had been over 10 years since my last visit. I'd like to continue oil pulling for this reason.

However, the last two times I attempted to restart I got detox symptoms that made me pretty miserable. I say "detox" and not "die-off" as my symptoms exactly match the side effects I had from a past medication and isn't particularly "flu-like". I'm convinced that my body is full of toxins as I've pretty much been on one medication or another for over half my life (starting in my teens), some of which have very serious side effects that I have experienced. It's scary to experience these detox symptoms as they show that my body has been storing this crap for quite some time now. I'm committed to continuing the oil pulling, and later hope I can move on to actually ingesting the oil. It's scary to see these symptoms arise simply from pulling/spitting the oil!

Have others experienced detox symptoms unrelated to candida? Did you have to slowly build up your tolerance to coconut oil? Is there something else I should be taking in addition to the coconut oil?

Thanks!

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think oil pulling is great for improving teeth and gums but not due to any kind of detox. I do however think the most important thing for dental health is to not eat carbs. This is the cause of plaque build up.

It is possible that you have a intolerance to c.o. and it is just fine to use any other kind of oil. You are not ingesting it so you could even use crappy seed oil.

If you really want to 'detox', it might be better to look at the GAPS diet in order to improve your health. I think it makes a lot of sense and it has a proven track record.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think oil pulling is great for improving teeth and gums but not due to any kind of detox. I do however think the most important thing for dental health is to not eat carbs. This is the cause of plaque build up.

It is possible that you have a intolerance to c.o. and it is just fine to use any other kind of oil. You are not ingesting it so you could even use crappy seed oil.

If you really want to 'detox', it might be better to look at the GAPS diet in order to improve your health. I think it makes a lot of sense and it has a proven track record.
I'm not doing it to detox, rather I experience detox symptoms when I ingest it (small amounts absorbed in the mouth). These are Not intolerance or allergy symptoms, rather detox symptoms that I am experiencing.

I am very sensitive to drugs, so even if my body is only releasing minute amounts of toxins, I can really feel it.

I've posted this elsewhere with no one else experiencing anything similar so I guess I'm just an odd duck!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestion would be to get some activated charcoal and phyllium husks tablets. Take several of each with two or three glasses of water in the middle of the day. This will help the body soak up toxins and flush it away.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote