Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Forthelasttime
What to eat when blood sugar levels drop?

I'm just coming back to the low carb way of life. But this time I'm coming back as a type 2 diabetic with medication. I know that until I figure out how much meds I do or don't need on this way of life that I may experience low blood sugar.

What I'm looking for is suggests on what I can eat to bring my sugar levels back up without ruining my diet.

Thanks for the help.
Forthelasttime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
Hi. I usually use a mouthful of orange juice (no more than that as it is quite carby) and then have half a tomato or a boiled egg or two, depending how low I've gone.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you do not need much! first of all, define "low." and what meds? some like injected insulin can be very difficult, but most don't yank your blood sugar down at all quickly.

please line out what sort of lows you get, what you are taking, etc.

in reality, anything over 60 is just fine. the reason they tell you not to go under 80 is twofold, the meters are not terribly accurate and your blood sugar may still be dropping.

most people cannot tell by how they feel. test it. many times I feel like I might be getting low I am nowhere near it.

in any case, Jenny at BloodSugar101 recommends a pure glucose candy. read there for details. one or two cherry tomatoes is good if you are not super low, but that means you have to stock cherry tomatoes.

try about 3 grams of carb and see if that works. a tiny amount. if you overdo, you are just going to swing the other way, and it doesn't fix the problem any faster

good luck
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Forthelasttime
Thanks for the help!

I never would have thought of tomato. Levels did drop down around 70 today. But I had some peppers and onions with lunch and it that brought me up to 80. But even that is low for me.

I'm feeling a bit light headed and my hands are shaking, but I know I'll get use to the lower levels.

Your information that it doesn't take many carbs to raise the level was most helpful!

Thanks again.
Forthelasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mardatha
Stats: 157/144/126
WOE: CAD
My husband takes a small cube of cheese
mardatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
I usually just eat a handful of nuts or a cheese string. I prefer the nuts just because I can put some in my purse and I don't have to worry about them going bad.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha View Post
My husband takes a small cube of cheese
My type 1 diabetic daughter (she is 12 and on insulin) loves cheese. We have so much cheese in the house, it could be a mouse heaven But it is very effective. She will have a bit of sugar to raise the levels ( a bit of juice, a Starburst) and then the cheese to keep the blood sugar from dropping again. My friend told me she gives her daughter chocolate milk at night when she is low. She figures it is best to give her the protein with the sugar in a drink to keep the sugar from spiking too high. So she won't have to chew on the cheese at 2AM You can do a bit of sugar free chocolate syrup in some cream. That sounds like a great idea for us next time my daughter is low at night.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I am not diabetic, but I have weird blood sugar lows at times. I always found a spoon of peanutbutter helped a lot and pretty quickly.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote