Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Liver questions..

Nope, not the kinds you eat... But the one in our bodies.

I was reading one of the articles on Maria emmerich site, and not sure I can link it here.. But it lightly covered the function of our livers.

This is the gist of it....
Begin quote

Your liver is a “worker bee” that can even regenerate its own damaged cells, but our liver is not invincible. When it is abused and lacks essential nutrients, or when it is overwhelmed by toxins and excess estrogens, it no longer performs as it should. Fat may build up in the liver and just under the skin, hormone imbalances can develop, and toxins increase and get into the blood stream. The liver metabolizes not only fats, but proteins and carbohydrates for fuel. It breaks down amino acids from proteins into various pieces to help build muscle; which directly impacts your calorie burn. It also transports amino acids through the blood stream for hormone balance; which is critical to avoid water retention, bloating, cravings, as well other undesired weight issues. There are many different amino acids that have a variety of important jobs. For example l-tryptophan is an amino acid that comes from protein that helps build serotonin. Other amino acids also help move waste such as excess “bad” estrogen, detoxification and elimination through the kidney, as well as many other functions like building muscles.

The liver’s most important function, and the one that puts it at greatest risk for damages, is to detoxify the numerous toxins that attack our bodies daily. A healthy liver detoxifies many damaging substances and eliminates them without polluting the bloodstream. When we cleanse the liver and eat the right foods, liver metabolism will improve and we start burning fat.

End quote

So... My questions are

What LC foods would benefit my liver function? Are there certain supplements that would benefit my liver?
I am having a dr appt and bloodwork done weds, should I ask for a liver panel done, is that even done?
When she talks about toxins, like what? Besides alcohol.. What else is a known toxin to our livers?
Is a liver cleanse a real thing? I have some skeptical views on "cleanses" of any kind.

And lastly, would I lose/burn fat more efficiently with a healthier liver?

Hope someone with some solid info reads and responds!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
I would google Chinese medicines and traditional foods or naturopathic foods that support liver function. I'm a firm believer that many traditional methods actually know what they are on about when it comes to foods and bodily health.

As for a liver cleanse...not sure...my liver has always been pretty awesome...I've never had a hang over in my life....and when younger had some massive nights.....ooops! I attribute the good next days to my workhorse liver heeheehee
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you should google this, because it's not recent knowledge, but when I was interested in this stuff milk thistle was the herb recommended to strengthen liver function. I think there were some good studies on that. it is particularly recommended for drinkers or people who take prescription meds.

I agree on the cleanse. this is an appealing idea emotionally, but I think it's far more likely to upset important bodily balances.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-12-2014 at 04:58 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Do you think you have fatty liver disease?

Eating a LC diet is great for your liver. LC is actually a treatment for fatty liver. Yep, carbs & alcohol are the problem.

Stick to whole foods, skip the processed stuff. no need to do a detox/cleanse or anything. You body does that on its own.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the responses, I am going to read more on this and hopefully report back with something more solid on my questions.

I don't think I have any liver issues, but I do drink alcohol, and have for a long time. Also having been obese all my life, it's bound to be a concern. Not to mention my typical pre LC diet was nothing short of absolutely awful, like... Worse than SAD standards.

I have read some on milk thistle and am considering it as a supplement, doubt it could harm me.

I'll keep researching, thanks ladies!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you are having a standard blood panel, it includes liver enzymes, and that's one way to identify how well your liver is functioning.

There's a lot of 'hysteria' on the internet about needing to 'cleanse' or 'detoxify' the body, but it is a natural function of the liver to do that work--and the fact that the liver filters toxins doesn't mean that the liver is 'damaged' by that process any more than my car's engine is damaged by burning gasoline. In both cases, natural functions are at work.

I have always been concerned because there is liver disease in my family, but since I'm hypothyroid, my endo does bloodwork every 4 months, including liver function. As long as my numbers are OK, I don't worry.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Non alcoholic fatty liver disease looks the very same as alcoholic fatty liver disease. I think that the causes for the non alcoholic is high fructose.

Excess carbohydrates must be dealt with in the liver which turns them into stored fat and this fat can and is stored in the liver. I think this is the root of many peoples problems with a large variety of health problems. Eating a low carb diet is the best possible natural solution in my opinion. Milk thistle has been shown to be helpful.

Toxins exist in many other places and one that kind of blows my mind is that tylenol can be quite dangerous. Apparently about 400 people (in Canada) die from liver failure attributed to over consumption of this 'product'. I use to take this like candy when I had the least little ache or pain. Not anymore....

If I really need a pain reliever, I use plain old aspirin.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I used to be absolutely dependent on Tylenol, switched to Motrin (same thing, diff name) and it's rare now with LC woe that I ever take anything. A. Because my pain is almost gone in my hips/knees and shoulders since re starting LC. B. Because I also have read the studies of it and the toxicity of it on our bodies.

So I did some googling last night on liver health and food. I didn't find much with regards to LC, almost every site I got to started with "whole grains, fruits..." My eyes glazed over and I would back button my way out.

I did take the plunge and ordered marias book keto adapted to add to my collection of books, not so much for the plan, but on her blog she referred to liver topic several times in her book. We shall see what I can glean from that when it arrives. 22.00 for a paperback... Oh well. I guess I could have spent the 22 dollars on fried chicken, mashed potatoes and biscuits instead. And have in the past. So I am going to try to look at it as a better buy. Lol. I hope it's got some good info on other subjects as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am not familiar with her but hope you will share what you learn from her book. I see people referring to her a lot lately.

The information on liver toxicity and fructose is mainly from Drl Lustigs' work. He is the guy who is promoting sugar as a toxic substance. There is a great lecture of his on youtube entitled 'sugar: the bitter truth' in which he describes the physiological path ways of sugar and fructose in specific. Quite an eye opening little talk!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Well, I agree with Maria. There are toxins everywhere theses days. I agree your liver can handle a lot, but what would it hurt do a cleanse? Milk thistle is one way, lemon juice in your water is another. My FNP/Naturopath gave me another by Standard Process called Livaplex.

Without having your enzymes checked how would you know how your liver is functioning? Short of being jaundicd. I'd rather catch whatever before it got that far.

Of course eating low carb is good for your body, because you take out some much harmful stuff. IMHO I don't think that means you shouldn't do a cleanse. I've done several. Whole body and liver.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote