Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rozier4
GERD/Reflux/Hernia Question

Hi All,
Many years ago in my younger days I was successful in doing a low-carb diet/lifestyle and felt great and lost weight. Today I am much older and much heavier and am looking to lose weight again, and start eating better. Probably in part due to my extra weight and sedentary lifestyle, I have been battling chronic GERD and reflux and was recently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I have read some studies that a low-carb diet can alleviate these conditions, and I have also read that for others it doesn't help. I know that losing weight will help b/c there will be less fat pushing against my stomach. I also think that when you mix things like bread and meat at a meal you get fermentation that can create acid and heartburn, etc. I don't want to have a meat-heavy diet, because that doesn't sit well with me either. So I guess I'm asking what your experience is if any of you have or used to have issues with GERD/Reflux/ chronic indigestion, etc. and if your low-carb diet has helped. I'm on medications like Prilosec but it doesn't do the trick most days even if I am mostly careful of what I am eating, i.e. no coffee, alcohol, or tomato-based sauces.
rozier4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: phonelady61
Start Date: august 2013
well im not a medical dr and I have gone onto total vegetarian diet and under my drs advice to maybe try the diet without meds and I did and guess what after 4 months no meds for gerd and I dont have acid reflux anymore or heartburn or any of that . I have totally cut meat and bread and dairy and grains from my diet . I eat veggies and I also take vitamins that is very important . I work out twice a day , 4 days a week . I like not having to take those meds anymore . But see your dr first before you start to do anything thanks and have a great week .
phonelady61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You may have to experiment with what helps you. For example, I eat low carb but only moderate fat--too much fat gives me GERD.

I also find that cheese causes heartburn, so my only dairy is butter (limited amounts).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote