Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
Statin Guide lines?

Just saw a short blip on the news, 2 cardiology groups now recommend more people take statins up to 31% of population from about 15% that are on statins now. The piece was not real informative, but states there was a 4 yr study proving benefits. Bet I know who paid for that.

Drs had me on statins, my liver counts went off the charts. The more I read the more I doubt lower cholesterol is the cure all drug companies want us to believe.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
New guidelines for prescribing statins per npr.org:

- Healthy people with a 7.5 percent 10-year risk of heart attack or stroke. One of the previous thresholds for cholesterol-lowering drug therapy was a 10-year risk of 20 percent. The guideline panel has come up with a brand-new way of calculating the 10-year risk, replacing a widely used risk calculator derived from the famous Framingham Heart Study. The new calculator takes into account the risk of stroke, while the Framingham Risk Calculator doesn't.

There are three other groups that ought to be considered for statin treatment under the new guidelines:

- People with known cardiovascular disease, as signaled by prior heart attack, stroke, or symptoms such as chest pain or leg pain indicating clogged arteries.

- Those ages 20 to 75 with LDL cholesterol above 190.

- People with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes between the ages of 40 and 75.

For people over 75 who also have risk factors, the guidelines recommends moderate doses of a statin drug. Those at greater risk should get aggressive therapy, but the new guidelines don't specify an LDL target that older patients should achieve.

The guidelines stress the importance of a healthful diet, weight loss, exercise and blood pressure control in addition to statin treatment. But there's no doubt that the overall effect, to the extent the guidelines are followed, will be to put many more people on cholesterol-lowering drugs.

In borderline cases where doctors aren't certain whether to write a statin prescription, the new guidelines say they should take into account a patient's family history of heart disease and stroke and also consider ordering tests that can indicate underlying artery disease.

Source: Shift In Cholesterol Advice Could Double Statin Use : Shots - Health News : NPR
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you are getting flack about your cholesterol levels and you low carb, be sure to insist on a VAP test. our LDL is NOT like the bad LDL they are worried about, and that test shows them that. you have to keep pushing though. every six months I have to review the whole thing with my doctor AGAIN.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm really surprised that the new guidelines say nothing about the LDL particles. My family doctor has been ordering NMR tests for about two years now. But my sister's cardiologist does not. I do wonder what the percentage of doctors are who are ordering this test. It seems not to be catching on, especially when I see no mention of it in the new guidelines.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote