Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Statin use may double with new guidelines!

An article on cnn's website says that the use of statins may double. "Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that"
The article includes the usual recommendations to reduce " saturated and trans fats" (as if they're equivalent!) and reduce sodium. Of course, there is not mention of eliminating sugar or grains.

The only good thing I can say about it is that at least Sanjay Gupta, in the video, mentioned the side effects of statins and said that they may not necessarily prolong life.

A related article has tips to increase HDL include the following:
" In a heart-healthy diet, between 25 and 35 percent of your total daily calories can come from fat — but saturated fat should account for less than 7 percent of your total daily calories. Avoid foods that contain saturated and trans fats, which raise LDL cholesterol and damage your blood vessels. " The article also recommends "margarine spreads such as Promise Activ or Benecol."

I just don't understand why we keep getting the same old messages. I guess that here at LCF, most of us are familiar with Gary Taubes' writing and other nutritional information, but the American Heart Association is stuck in the past with Ancel Keys' advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Yes, I am disappointed too. Are they ever going to get it or is our society just going to keep getting sicker and sicker due to awful food choices?
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
same day reading a breathless piece on how the polyunsaturaged vegetable oils full of Omega 6 fatty acids that we all have been told were so great just MIGHT not be the healthiest thing for you.

how long ago did we all know that? seems forever!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
This makes me so sad...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I was reading the article from a different source and had to laugh when they said people need to focus on whole grains, fruits, veggies etc in order to lose weight and lower their risks but then say cholesterol levels aren't effected by diet. People think a pill will fix everything.

My husband was never a big man, maybe needed to lose 20 lbs. He dropped 30 lbs by doing a low fat diet and I've dropped almost 40 doing lc. My cholesterol results done a month ago are perfect. He gets his results next week. I can't wait to see the comparison. We both had high cholesterol prior to us starting our diets but I wasn't on meds. He just stopped taking his because he kept forgetting.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
An article on cnn's website says that the use of statins may double. "Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that"
Over my dead body. These medical "authorities" are just pimps for big pharma. Wanting everyone on meds. They can kiss my shiny hiny. I've about had it with this dishonest, corrupt, revolving-door government and it's crony agencies that were originally meant to protect the people. Time for the whole thing to go.

Last edited by Seeking; 11-13-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
LOL - seeking! Tell us how you really feel! Just kidding!!! I could have written that myself!!

To me it's ironic that there are Dr.'s out there trying to get the message out that you don't need statins at all. It would sure be nice if everyone could do the research and get on the same page. By which of course I mean our page!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Well said, Seeking! lol...
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogMom View Post
I was reading the article from a different source and had to laugh when they said people need to focus on whole grains, fruits, veggies etc in order to lose weight and lower their risks but then say cholesterol levels aren't effected by diet. People think a pill will fix everything.
Actual post on another forum (not related to nutrition) about this topic today:
Quote:
Sure, the manufactures of statins stand to make even more money but I will continue to take mine. My numbers are down almost 80 points since I started a statin 7 years ago. For the other folks who are able to keep their numbers low by healthy eating and exercise, more power to them. There is also a middle line... which I find more appealing. Be smart, be aware and then have a low fat ice cream cone.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Over my dead body. These medical "authorities" are just pimps for big pharma. Wanting everyone on meds. They can kiss my shiny hiny. I've about had it with this dishonest, corrupt, revolving-door government and it's crony agencies that were originally meant to protect the people. Time for the whole thing to go.
I totally agree. This is all about big pharma being determined to increase their already excessive profits. And what a shame it is. I'm not educated and certainly have no medical training or background but from all I've read it seems to me that statins can be quite dangerous.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote