Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Statin use may double with new guidelines! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/816972-statin-use-may-double-new-guidelines.html)

Emily-D 11-13-2013 07:11 AM

Statin use may double with new guidelines!

An article on cnn's website says that the use of statins may double. "Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that"
The article includes the usual recommendations to reduce " saturated and trans fats" (as if they're equivalent!) and reduce sodium. Of course, there is not mention of eliminating sugar or grains.

The only good thing I can say about it is that at least Sanjay Gupta, in the video, mentioned the side effects of statins and said that they may not necessarily prolong life.

A related article has tips to increase HDL include the following:
" In a heart-healthy diet, between 25 and 35 percent of your total daily calories can come from fat but saturated fat should account for less than 7 percent of your total daily calories. Avoid foods that contain saturated and trans fats, which raise LDL cholesterol and damage your blood vessels. " The article also recommends "margarine spreads such as Promise Activ or Benecol."

I just don't understand why we keep getting the same old messages. I guess that here at LCF, most of us are familiar with Gary Taubes' writing and other nutritional information, but the American Heart Association is stuck in the past with Ancel Keys' advice.

girondet 11-13-2013 08:04 AM

Yes, I am disappointed too. Are they ever going to get it or is our society just going to keep getting sicker and sicker due to awful food choices?

ravenrose 11-13-2013 09:56 AM

same day reading a breathless piece on how the polyunsaturaged vegetable oils full of Omega 6 fatty acids that we all have been told were so great just MIGHT not be the healthiest thing for you.

how long ago did we all know that? seems forever!

clackley 11-13-2013 10:15 AM

:stars::stars::stars:

Mimosa23 11-13-2013 10:51 AM

This makes me so sad... :cry:

BulldogMom 11-13-2013 10:58 AM

I was reading the article from a different source and had to laugh when they said people need to focus on whole grains, fruits, veggies etc in order to lose weight and lower their risks but then say cholesterol levels aren't effected by diet. People think a pill will fix everything.

My husband was never a big man, maybe needed to lose 20 lbs. He dropped 30 lbs by doing a low fat diet and I've dropped almost 40 doing lc. My cholesterol results done a month ago are perfect. He gets his results next week. I can't wait to see the comparison. We both had high cholesterol prior to us starting our diets but I wasn't on meds. He just stopped taking his because he kept forgetting.

Seeking 11-13-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16681403)
An article on cnn's website says that the use of statins may double. "Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that"

Over my dead body. These medical "authorities" are just pimps for big pharma. Wanting everyone on meds. They can kiss my shiny hiny. I've about had it with this dishonest, corrupt, revolving-door government and it's crony agencies that were originally meant to protect the people. Time for the whole thing to go.

snowangel9 11-13-2013 03:59 PM

LOL - seeking! Tell us how you really feel! Just kidding!!! I could have written that myself!!

To me it's ironic that there are Dr.'s out there trying to get the message out that you don't need statins at all. It would sure be nice if everyone could do the research and get on the same page. By which of course I mean our page!! :D

DiamondDeb 11-13-2013 08:32 PM

Well said, Seeking! lol...

Janknitz 11-14-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16681795)
I was reading the article from a different source and had to laugh when they said people need to focus on whole grains, fruits, veggies etc in order to lose weight and lower their risks but then say cholesterol levels aren't effected by diet. People think a pill will fix everything.

Actual post on another forum (not related to nutrition) about this topic today:
Quote:

Sure, the manufactures of statins stand to make even more money but I will continue to take mine. My numbers are down almost 80 points since I started a statin 7 years ago. For the other folks who are able to keep their numbers low by healthy eating and exercise, more power to them. There is also a middle line... which I find more appealing. Be smart, be aware and then have a low fat ice cream cone.
:dunno::stars:

LolaGetz 11-14-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16682039)
Over my dead body. These medical "authorities" are just pimps for big pharma. Wanting everyone on meds. They can kiss my shiny hiny. I've about had it with this dishonest, corrupt, revolving-door government and it's crony agencies that were originally meant to protect the people. Time for the whole thing to go.

I totally agree. This is all about big pharma being determined to increase their already excessive profits. And what a shame it is. I'm not educated and certainly have no medical training or background but from all I've read it seems to me that statins can be quite dangerous.