Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zeinmr
High blood fasting glucose on ketogenic adaptation

Hello everyone. I am on ketogenic diet for 2 months. I am not diabetic. My body mass index is 24.7 and my health is very good. I chose the ketogenic diet because I am convinced that this is the healthiest one. But for the last week or so I start by curiosity check my blood sugar and I am really surprised. Just let me tell you I am in full keto adaptation and my blood ketones is around 2.7 as average. My glucose when fasting in the morning is 6 to 6.1 mmnol/l (108 to 110 mg/dl). I read many articles about the insulin physiological resistance but I am little suspecious. I mean high blood sugar increase the risk of cardiovascular disease whether it comes from insulin resistance or physiological insuline resistance. I am little hesitating whether to continue with this diet or return back to regular one. Anyone can help me?
zeinmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you are concerned about blood glucose, I suggest you see a doctor for an A1C test (levels over 3 months) which is far more accurate than the fasting number.

At the same time, my experience may help you deal with this. I am not diabetic, but my fasting numbers are typically high (low 90s--lab limit is 120), but my A1c is typically about 5.2, well within normal.

I've read that a ketogentic diet will produce higher fasting numbers, and my endo says that this is true--which is why he goes by my A1c. I'm hypothyroid, which is why I get regular blood tests, and since all my siblings are Type 2 diabetics, my endo keeps his eye on my BG.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thx Leo for reply. But high glucose increase the risk of cardiovascular disease whether your A1c is normal or not.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
zeinmr, I haven't seen anything to indicate that sporadic blood sugar levels in that range cause any harm. it is normal for non-diabetics to be that high after meals and you don't hear about that being dangerous...

in general it's believed that real damage starts at 140 and above.

have you tested at other times of the day? a reading in your range in the morning coupled with low readings at other times is I believe nothing to be excited about. but obviously if you get readings higher than that later in the day regularly, it's a different matter.

I am thinking your issue might be blood sugar dipping a bit low during the night and triggering that cycle where the liver uses the hormone Glucagon to convert fat to glucose so your blood sugar doesn't get too low. A version of the dawn effect diabetics get. You might try eating closer to bedtime to see if this improves your fasting reading.

good luck!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
zeinmir-
You seem unnecessarily concerned about 'high' blood glucose readings, since your fasting numbers are not really high at all. EVERYONE has temporary spikes after eating that are totally normal and not any cardio risk.

As I've tried to explain (and Ravenrose also explained), the higher fasting number when on a ketogenic diet is a version of the 'dawn phenomenon' that many diabetics experience as the liver tries to keep our blood sugar levels from going too LOW during sleep.

If it disturbs you, I've found that Raven's suggestion of eating something close to bedtime works.

Again, if you have a concern, see a doctor.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thx raverose and Leo I will do an A1C next month and maybe I ll increase my carb to 50mg per day as I am now even lower than 20g . thx
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoolNerd64
Blood Glucose

Remember, your body still needs glucose even if you are in full ketosis. Some tissues (liver, kidney, a minority of centeral nervous system) can only burn glucose. Also, when your body breaks down triglycerides (fat) into ketones it also makes glucose from the glycerol part of the triglyceride. This is normal. In addition, in ketosis your insulin responce is shut down; lower insulin -> higher blood glucose. Also, you have many fewer glucose "customers" as the big energy players, muscles and brain, are burning ketones.

Besides, I don't think it's the glucose that really causes problems, it's the big insulin spike (in response) that causes the problems. When you monitor your BG like I do, you do not measure your insulin response. For a type 2 diabetic, a glucose spike (measured) is followed by an insulin spike (not measured). But in ketosis you may not be getting the insulin spike because that response should be shut down which may lead to a small (<110) glucose rise followed by consumption by the above mentioned glucose only tissues. This is okay.

I'm using ketosis to treat my type 2. I used to have a big dawn effect with 3am BG above 150. But now, i get this weird 8-9am bump to about 110-140; with or without breakfast, which is usually just fat anyway. I also sometimes see a post exercise BG bump. Just my opinion, I think its because the body is breaking down fat to make ketones during morning activity and during exercise and as a result pumps out glucose too. I don't think its a bad thing, really.

Another odd thing I see with my BG, many (LC) meals are follow by a drop in BG.
CoolNerd64 is offline   Reply With Quote