Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Constant, non stop under eye twitching (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/816704-constant-non-stop-under-eye-twitching.html)

Ronnie51 11-07-2013 06:30 AM

Constant, non stop under eye twitching

Yesterday morning I noticed that I had a constant twitch under my right eye, i.e., the upper cheek directly under my eye. I can't feel it but I can see it when I look in the mirror. It is nonstop. I still have it today. Did anyone ever experience this? Can anyone give me some insight into this? If it doesn't stop, what kind of doctor should I see...an eye doctor or a neurologist? This is very unsettling. :sad:

Stardust 11-07-2013 06:36 AM

The only time I ever get an eye twitch is when I am tired, and it's barely noticable but I can kind of feel it myself.

Mine always went away on it's own within a day so I never got as far as the doctors. Hope it's just something like that. x

ravenrose 11-07-2013 04:58 PM

just googled it and the basic takeaway is almost always harmless and will go away on its own. usually a result of stress, etc.

it sounds pretty minor, so maybe not need to go to doc right away? do what you feel you need to, but sometimes just relaxing about it is enough to get it to stop.

good luck

Ronnie51 11-07-2013 07:12 PM

Thank you both for responding. Ravenrose, what's freaking me out is the fact that this twitch....or whatever it is....never stops. I often get eye twitches (that I can feel) that last for a few days but the twitches come and go; they're not constant like this is. I have been under a lot of stress lately so that could be an issue. I'll give it a few more days and try not to think about it, which is sort of easy since I can't even feel it. :dunno: Thank you for looking it up.

Dirty Harriet 11-07-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie51 (Post 16674350)
Yesterday morning I noticed that I had a constant twitch under my right eye, i.e., the upper cheek directly under my eye. I can't feel it but I can see it when I look in the mirror. It is nonstop. I still have it today. Did anyone ever experience this? Can anyone give me some insight into this? If it doesn't stop, what kind of doctor should I see...an eye doctor or a neurologist? This is very unsettling. :sad:

You may need an evaluation for your eyes....it can be caused by eye strain and the need for corrective lenses.:eek:

Ronnie51 11-08-2013 06:28 AM

I am due for my 1-year check up. I do wear progressive lens glasses....maybe it's time for a new prescription. Still twitching on day 3. I wonder if it twitches while I'm sleeping.

Leo41 11-08-2013 09:09 AM

I had one experience of eye twitching in my life--and it was definitely from stress and vanished after the stress was resolved.

If you have a scheduled eye exam and the twitching remains, I'm sure your eye doctor can help.

dldickins 11-08-2013 09:39 AM

I've had this happen also and it was just a coincidence that I had an appointment scheduled with my optomistrist when the twitching started. During the eye exam, the doctor could see my eye twitching constantly he explained that it was caused by a virus and it would go away on it's own. And it did. It lasted about a week. I hope this helps.

Ronnie51 11-08-2013 12:36 PM

dldickens, where exactly was the twitch you were experiencing? On the lid of your eye? Mind is under my eye, upper cheek area. And was yours constant? Mine hasn't stopped....every time I look at myself in the mirror, it's twitching away. It would be nice if it were a virus. Thank you and to everyone.

vanilla_latte 11-08-2013 01:55 PM

Hate those things. I had them on both lower eyelids for several weeks not long ago. Wasn't constant, but enough to make me wonder if a doctor visit was in order. Finally quit - have no clue what the cause was.

Ronnie, I don't recall every having one further down like that. Maybe once, but it was still closer to my eye. Sounds like maybe just another nerve getting involved. Hope it quits soon - they're so annoying!

dldickins 11-09-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie51 (Post 16676284)
dldickens, where exactly was the twitch you were experiencing? On the lid of your eye? Mind is under my eye, upper cheek area. And was yours constant? Mine hasn't stopped....every time I look at myself in the mirror, it's twitching away. It would be nice if it were a virus. Thank you and to everyone.

My twitch was on my upper eye lid and it was constant. But it quit after about 10 days. Sorry if I got your hopes up. Maybe you do need to get checked out by a doctor. I hope the twitching stops soon.

Ronnie51 11-09-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks again, everyone. Still twitching away on day four. I do have an appt. with my primary care doctor on Monday, which will be day six. Unnerving situation.

Ronnie51 11-11-2013 10:18 AM

Dr. said it is due to stress, not to worry. The twitching is actually improved today, not as apparent. He prescribed a drug that he said to take as needed that will calm down the fasticulations and help with sleep as well.

Ronnie51 11-17-2013 06:52 AM

Well, it's been 1-1/2 weeks and it's still twitching. The med my doctor prescribed has not helped at all; it's actually for muscle spasms and I think my issue is a nerve thing. I have an appt with my eye doctor but not until January. But it's underneath my eye so I don't think it's an eye thing, so I've also found a neurologist just in case I really start freaking out, but I'm sure I'll have to wait a while to get in. Meanwhile, it continues to twitch. :sad:

Teefie 11-17-2013 07:58 AM

Ronnie, I had experienced this for much longer than you. On and off for at least a year. Now that you have mentioned it, I don't think I have had an episode for almost 2 years. My eye doctor checked me out and felt it was due to eye strain and fatigue. He inquired about the amount of hours I spent on-line looking at a computer screen.

I am a pharmacist, so I look at a screen 8-12 hours per day and then I would go home and play on-line for hours until bedtime.

Eventually, the twitching stopped. It was very annoying to me. Sometimes I couldn't focus on what people were saying to me because I wondered if they could see my crazy eye, lol, and then I would focus on the twitching instead of the conversation.

Hopefully, your twitching will correct itself. If you're not getting enough sleep you may want to try to change your habit. Also, if possible, try limiting the amount of time you spend staring at the computer screen.

Snickygirl 11-17-2013 09:12 AM

I thought I posted this before or maybe it was on another thread...but whenever I drink a lot of diet soda (for several days in a row) with aspartame, I get eye twitching. When I cut out the soda it stops. It has happened a few times to me, so I'm pretty sure there is a connection. If you drink a lot of diet soda or just recently started drinking it again (or maybe just consuming lots of aspartame if it's in any other sugar-free foods?) maybe cut back for a while and see if it makes any difference. I know it sounds a little far fetched, but it may be worth a try!

Ronnie51 11-17-2013 10:12 AM

I really appreciate your replies, thank you! The difference with my "twitch" is that it's actually under my eye, upper cheek area (not my eye or eyelid), and I can't feel it, but whenever I look in the mirror, I can see it. It's very slight, so people don't really notice it, especially when I'm talking. But I use a 10X mirror when applying my makeup and that really accentuates it. The suggestion about artificial sweeteners is a good one. I do drink diet soda and put artificial sweetener in my coffee (it's sweet n' low...not sure what kind of sweetener that is). I also spend a lot of time in front of my laptop, both for work and for fun. But these are nothing new....I've been doing this for years. But I'm at that age where I notice new things daily and they aren't good things (post menopausal). :sad: It hasn't gotten worse, e.g. spread to another part of my face; if that does happen (I hope not!), I will make an appointment with a neurologist. Thank you all again.