Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
anyone have adrenal fatigue?

I think I might. I feel like I haven't been able to get on top of anything since I took the bar exam at the end of july. And I am never well rested, and seemingly could sleep indefinitely.

Anyway... I'm wondering about two things... First, if I bring this up with my doctors, is there any chance they'll be helpful or do they think it's mumbo jumbo? And, second, do you think it makes it harder for you to stay on plan? I'm having such a hard time sticking to my woe lately and even when I do it's a constant struggle. I have seen that it can cause salt and sweet cravings, but not sure if that's what might be throwing me off.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
As for sticking with a plan, when you are tired all the time, you eat when you are not hungry just for the energy so it makes sense. Find a Naturopathic doc. You may also consider having your hormones checked.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Jayne, are you adequately supplementing zinc, b vitamins, chromium, magnesium, and possibly iron? If any of those are lacking, you're going to feel it in exhaustion, weakness, fatigue, brain fog, you name it. And those are COMMON deficiencies. If you're having sweets cravings, chromium and magnesium would be the first culprits I'd suspect.

Adrenal fatigue is one of those catch phrases that refers to a pretty unspecific condition, and I'd wager good money it's like autism - a catchall umbrella for a number of similarly manifesting deficiencies instead of a meaningful diagnosis in and of itself (with autism, it may not be related deficiencies but symptomatically similar conditions, however diverse the root causes may be).

If you're feeling that run down, I'd be at a solid doctor, ANP, or naturopath demanding my ferritin checked, at the very least. But I become anemic easily, despite an iron rich diet. And I cannot tell you how much better I felt when I began magnesium citrate, chromium, ferrous gluconate, carnitine, and had a bolus dose of B-12 and other b vitamins in my multivitamin (an expensive but excellent brand).

If all levels are optimal to high then I'd investigate your adrenals. But I'd suspect malabsorption or inadequate dietary sources of the above vitamins and minerals before going for the hormone angle. Even if it is a wacky thyroid or dysfunctional adrenal response, sufficient trace minerals are going to only support and ease the symptoms, not harm you further.

Does that help any?

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 11-06-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
It sounds silly, but I would get my thyroid checked in your case. A friend of mine had your symptoms for over a year and was getting depressed as well. She felt so hopeless, hungry and tired all the time. Turns out, she needed medication for her thyroid. She is now back to her energetic self, cheerful and has lost quite a bit of weight too!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Thanks, you guys!

You are probably right that I should be supplementing, Taryl. I'm gonna use your post as a shopping list.

And, mimosa, I am at high risk for low thyroid and was told about 18 years ago that my thyroid was not going to last another ten years. I know that it was in the normal range when I was pregnant in 2009, but I don't even know if it's been tested more recently. I'll have to talk to the doc.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
jayne--I have adrenal fatigue. My doctor that I went to for my thyroid said, "I bet it is your adrenals and not your thyroid plagueing you". She was right, but she is also a DO as well as an MD. So she thinks outside the box, and doesn't participate with any insurance companies. That is how she can order any test she wants and is not confined by their rules as to what she can do and how to treat. Anyhow, I totally feel that a "regular" MD will NOT even entertain the idea of adrenal fatigue. She gave me a few things to do and try. Even told me what book I needed to buy and read. I was so exhausted I have still not read it! It has been 3 years. I tried it her way for 6 months, didn't lose a pound and got discouraged, and went back to my old ways incorporating what I could do (and was willing to keep up with !) . Anyhow, she was so amazing because she actually listened to me (she spent a full hour with me on our first visit after having me complete a whole health history prior to even agreeing to set up an appointment for me) and every visit thereafter was at least 30 minutes. I have never had a doc do that for me. I loved her, but then she stopped seeing patients. She ran all the necessary tests for adrenal fatigue that we agreed to and I don't believe that "adrenal fatigue" is a catch all phrase. It is real. Just get the book "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson. I can even loan you mine if you want. It is still unread so in very new condition. Adrenal fatigue is very under-diagnosed. Anyhow, if you want any more help, I am here!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
I have Addison's/hypoadrenalism. The adrenal fatigue can be a lead up to Addison's Disease. I have a great doctor that I had to pay for but so worth it. Understand, I have all the labs showing what is wrong and it's been hard to even get someone who gets it.

My new doctor is amazing with symptoms that no other doctor paid attention to. My earliest symptoms no one ever paid attention to was insomnia and/or waking up every night at say 2 am. Later came the exhaustion when I got home from work I would doze off. When it was bad at one time I feel asleep on the train and the guy next to me could barely wake me.

I'm working now to get things balanced and it takes a while. Supplements are iffy. You need to make sure you buy the right type and on say Iron you should really have blood tests to see your levels. There is lower iron that is not full blown anemia. B12 can be low too but some forms the body doesn't convert well.

"Doing LC Gourmet Style and keeping it interesting!"

250/230/145
Started 8/15/12
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote