Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
MRSA Infections and Boosting Immune System

Recently found out I have a MRSA infection in my ears. I'm freaking out. I'm just looking for any and all information (not googling, it's freaking me out and scaring me) for me or positive stories.

Also, what does anyone reccomend for boosting immune systems? I just started Vitamin C, and looked up a few others. Want to make sure it's ok to take them all together, though.

I'm also looking into any alternative medicine concerning MRSA. Just kind of wanted a centralized place to talk about this.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I highly recommend looking into fermented cod liver/royal butter oil. It is made by Green Pasture. It is high in vitamin D3, A and K, all of which will help your immune system. Also consider adding fermented foods like saurkraut, yoghurt, kefir and kombucha to your diet.

Also, a really good probiotic supplement should help your general immune system as well. I also take some oil of oregano and garlic.

I am struggling with a chronic eye disease and every time my resistance is even slightly low, I get a nasty eye infection. I have found that if I'm consistent with taking my vitamin C, my (horrible) cod liver oil and my probiotics, the eye troubles stay under control. When I forget for more than a week or so and I get run down, it gives the bacteria a chance to get the upper hand.

I think eating as natural a diet as possible, cutting out wheat and gluten, making sure your fats are from healthy sources (animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, butter) will also really help keep your body functioning at a higher level and thus help your immune system. Also sleeping enough and at regular times is important, and doing some kind of exercise also seems to do me good.

I also like taking spirulina, I take them in tablet form, for some extra vitamin support from a natural source.

Wishing you a quick recovery, and I hope you're not in too much pain or discomfort! Get well soon! xxx Mims

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Mimosa. I already eat grain/sugar/wheat free for the most part. I'm strictly low carb. Have been for a long time. I think that's helped my infection not spread or get worse than it is.

I got some supplements at the drug store yesterday but I haven't started taking them. My Dr. appointment is tomorrow so we will see what he says.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
Wellness tabs are akin to magic in my world
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerAnn View Post
Wellness tabs are akin to magic in my world

What are those???? Sounds intriguing!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, please tell me what those are. I saw something that was in tab form at my drug store, I was very intrigued and I took a picture of them to remind me to look into them further. They are specific to whatever problem you are having. Don't know if it's the same thing, but they were interesting.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I hope everything goes OK with your Dr. Appointment today. I don’t have much to add for immune system support that hasn’t been said already.

Make sure your Vitamin D levels are good, same with B-12. I like the Thorne VitD/K2 drops. Take a good quality Magnesium supplement. I do well with Magnesium Oil but my family is doing great on the Good State Liquid. Add probiotics. I take Astaxanthin 4 Mg with a fatty meal every day instead of Vitamin C.

Make sure you are getting enough folate from good food sources. Not Folic Acid supplements.

I’m not sure where you are with dairy. I would consider giving it up for a while.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Search for wellness formula tablets source naturals

You can read all the rave reviews on Amazon.

Warning, they are horse size pills and taste like garbage. Excellent boyfriend repellant if you aren't in the mood. (but the taste/smell goes away in 30 minutes)

They are so big, and I'm such a baby, I actually chew them before I swallow them.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

They are super dooper immune boosting pills... I have sworn by them for years to fend off everything bacterial and viral.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Michelle, how did it go at the dr's? How are you feeling today?

GingerAnn, thanks for the tip, I will certainly look into them!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Ahhh sorry Mimosa. I forgot to update here last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
So he said I'm far from dying.

Said my ears look really good.

Did not give me a poof of the powder I begged, he said he doesn't want to put the antibiotic in my ear that's in the powder, reason it stopped the itching is the steroid in the powder.

He said everything is looking much better, and explained the reason they put me on 2 antibiotics is because one of them should get rid of the MRSA, and it can't fight off both antibiotics, so if I get an infection in the future, one of the antibiotics will work because both shouldn't become resistant. He explained it better, but that's the jist.

He said I'm only contagious if I touch my ears and then touch other things.

Don't need to get my blood tested. My temperature was 98.4, so no major infection as far as my temp indicates.

I have a follow up in 3 weeks, day before Thanksgiving.

He did give me a prescription for the Mupirocin, which has been helping with the itching, but he said if it gets too bad before my appointment to call and come in.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest. I'm glad I know about MRSA now because if I get sick in the future, I will be bringing it up to any doctor. I'm already one that doesn't like to take a lot of medication, because I know as a country, we all take too many, and I don't want to become resistant to medication when I truly need it, so it's kind of ironic that I have a MRSA infection

Anyhoo, I really appreciate all the advice/support/well wishes. I'll keep my thread updated. I hope one day someone can use my experience to help them. Like I've said repeatedly. I've been dealing with this crap for 14 years.
Today:
The Mupirocin is becoming less effective in stopping the itching. They have been itching pretty badly at times again. I'm trying not to scratch them. I really really am. It's becoming increasingly difficult.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Michelle, thanks for the update! Glad things are looking better on the MRSA front!

Just a quick question, I don't know your whole history with your ears, but have you tried a candida elimination diet? It may also help you with your MRSA and the itching?

I'll check in on your other thread in the PG, you don't need to keep updating here, LOL!
xx Mims
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't. I've had a few people mention it before, but I haven't looked into it. People also mentioned eliminating dairy. I feel like I've given so much up for this WOE that I cannot give up dairy at this point.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I understand. Giving up cheese would be a horrible thought for me! I do know that I lose better when I eat less dairy. Completely giving up though... Thats a whole other thing!

Google candida and there's tons of info out there. I did a candida elimination diet years ago, and I still try and keep an eye on things. I take oil of oregano, pau d' arco and coconut oil (not all at once) and a very good probiotic twice a day. I have noticed less candida related issues.

There's a board here too, maybe check in there and see if they can tell you about their experiences?

xxx
Old 11-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
Start Date: April 2012
I would try colloidal silver in my ears several times per day.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I bought the colloidal silver in spray form for that purpose, but I've yet to try it. I think I might give it a shot tonight in my right ear. My left ear seems to be doing better than my right. The last 2 nights I've woke up to it bleeding because I've been scratching it in my sleep.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
There is a girl I was just working with who has a child that is chronically MRSA. She ended up catching it last year and still has some issues. She told me that she had found a book from someone who lives with it, and says to shower using a body wash that has 5% tea tree oil as it is the ONLY thing that actually kills MRSA. IF you can find the oil and apply too, that works wonders. Also, she takes apple cider vinegar. Even if it goes away, the bacteria still lives on the skin which is why she is using these products now. Also make sure that when you clean the house, you use bleach.
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

The colloidal silver I have been using has tea tree oil in it. It also has oil of oregano in it which I read kills MRSA as well. It's actually been helping a lot. If I can keep my finger out of my ears it would heal up.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Hope you feel better soon!