Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Low carb since July - increasing joint pain (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/815248-low-carb-since-july-increasing-joint-pain.html)

Ddk 10-17-2013 08:49 AM

Low carb since July - increasing joint pain

Hi! I'm new here - and am so glad to have found you! Looking forward to exploring more!
I've been somewhat following The 100 plan (by Jorge Cruise) since July 1st - I am down 25 lbs - have another 25 to go... I feel like I should be feeling great - and my tummy issues are much better than they used to be before this diet... Actually was diagnosed with IBS years ago but realize that wasn't the problem at all... I actually have more pain in my joints than ever before. I've had osteo-arthritis in my knees for over 15 years - and bursitis that flares up every once in a while in my shoulders. Those are completely aggravated and have been for a few weeks now. Sore in my hips as well - and body sore when I sleep on one side. I haven't changed what I do physically (usually 2 or 3 short walks with my pooch a day)... So it's not exercise induced... I'm waiting for an appointment with my doctor but wondering if anyone else following a low carb diet has run into this issue. Although the plan calls for 25 carbs a day - I'm eating closer to 50 carbs a day - meats, chicken, seafood, butter, oils and lots of veggies... No bread, pasta, rice and just a little fruit (although I have some in my smoothie every morning)... Any insight if you've had similar issues is greatly appreciated.

Erin57 10-17-2013 10:32 AM

I noticed increased pain the skinnier I got. The key for me has been magnesium. There are many threads on here about what is the best brand to start with. If you have IBS I would go with Magnesium Oil applied to skin or try the Good State liquid. There is a thread about it in the Playground.

Have your Dr. check your D3 and B-12 levels also.

Ddk 10-17-2013 07:19 PM

Thanks Erin!! We thought for years I had IBS but there is no way I could be eating this amount of raw veggies with no problems and have IBS... I have a feeling my intolerance was more towards gluten... anyhow - thanks - I will try magnesium and will check my D3 and B-12

Erin57 10-19-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddkphotos (Post 16648109)
Thanks Erin!! We thought for years I had IBS but there is no way I could be eating this amount of raw veggies with no problems and have IBS... I have a feeling my intolerance was more towards gluten... anyhow - thanks - I will try magnesium and will check my D3 and B-12

Good luck with the Dr. appointment. Gluten is a biggie for many. For me it's definately the dairy.

cfine 10-31-2013 02:08 AM

If you haven't already tried a strict gluten free diet, that would be my first suggestion. Second would be to eliminate the nightsades-tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant.