Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Foods that cause joint pain? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/814742-foods-cause-joint-pain.html)

Grammy G 10-13-2013 12:35 PM

Foods that cause joint pain?

I am slowly figuring out that certain foods cause horrible joint pain (feet, ankles, hips, knees, hands and neck). I've stopped eating (for the most part) tree nuts and dairy. I rarely eat wheat and sugar. But, now I am still having more pain. I can't figure out which foods may be causing it. I wondered if anyone else has this problem?

Mistizoom 10-14-2013 06:49 AM

If you are in a lot of pain, you may want to see a rheumatologist if you haven't. They can run tests to pinpoint what is causing the problems. It may not be food at all.

Jenn11 10-22-2013 03:04 PM

Egg yolks especially non organic eggs, and red meat have something called Arachidonic Acid. Some people are sensitive to this and it does cause joint pain and muscle pain if you eat too much. So try limiting these foods or eliminating for a while to see if you get relief. I'm saying this assuming you do not have arthritis or a lack of some vitamin or mineral.

SeriouslyFunny 10-22-2013 10:45 PM

My arthritis is extraordinarily better without sugar or wheat in my diet. I also have to severely limit tomatoes -- they cause inflammation, and while I can eat a slice or two now and then, tomato/spaghetti sauce can cause a flare-up. I also ate a whole bunch of cherry tomatoes a few months ago, before returning to LC, and felt horrible later, joint and muscle pain like crazy.

Ntombi 10-22-2013 11:26 PM

Nightshades are a common cause of joint pain. The most common foods on that list include potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants.

SeriouslyFunny, if you're already noticing a problem with tomatoes, I would try eliminating all nightshade foods and see how you feel.

SeriouslyFunny 10-23-2013 08:31 PM

Oh, night shades and I are old nemeses. To orators are the worst of the lot for me, so I figured I'd mention that as a possibility to the OP. It sucks, too, because I love tomatoes.

Grammy G 10-23-2013 09:09 PM

Eggs? What will I eat for breakfast? If I already can't eat dairy or wheat or nightshade or tree nuts then there is not much left. Discouraging....

Liz1959 10-23-2013 09:33 PM

I hadn't heard of eggs but nightshades are a biggie for me. I hate it because I have to re-think my garden, but tomatoes are not worth the joint pain. I use a little, and peppers on rare occasions, but I pay for it. Pick your poison!

BringOnTheLard 10-24-2013 07:34 AM

Virtually all my aches and pains disappeared when I completely removed sugar and grains. However, weather can still cause minor flare ups. My neck and shoulder today are a bit achy but once the weather settles again I know it will be gone. When there is a change in the weather (barometric pressure) it tends to cause me a bit of pain but doesn't last more than a couple of days.

cfine 10-31-2013 01:02 AM

I would eliminate the nightsades first before thinking about eliminating eggs. They are a problem for me, along with gluten and sugar.

Grammy G 11-02-2013 05:13 PM

I'm going to have to re-think my garden for next year, too. :( We grew a lot of nightshade this year.

tybeeanna 11-04-2013 07:56 AM

Caffeine, is a big one for me.. I know not a food but a real trigger for me.

Mimosa23 11-05-2013 07:13 AM

I would first eliminate all grains and gluten from my diet, as well as all sugar. After two weeks of none of that, and no change, you could look at nightshades and after that maybe eggs and dairy.

Best would of course be to get tested and also to see if you have any deficiencies.