Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Question about cholesterol

In the past I ate the typical high carb diet of junk food and I had elevated cholesterol levels. After eating LC since March, my cholesterol levels are now in normal range. My question is about the damage I might have done prior to LCing. Typically you hear doctors say eat more fruits and veggies to "clean" out your arteries. But since I'm not eating fruit and I'm limiting my veggies, is this diet (Atkins) capable of cleaning out my arteries also? Years ago I had a cousin who died of a massive heart attack at 46. I'm getting closer to that age and its on my mind.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
fruits and vegetables don't clean out your arteries. that would be... figurative, at best. if your levels are good now, that's what counts. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
fruits and vegetables don't clean out your arteries. that would be... figurative, at best. if your levels are good now, that's what counts. good luck!
Thanks for responding! I know that they don't literally clean out your arteries but you hear some "experts" talk about how eating whole grains, fruits and veggies will help remove built up plaque. I don't care about the dynamics of how they think that works. I'm wondering though if leading a LC life will help remove any plaque that might have built up over the years like the docs think eating whole grains and produce will.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brassteacher
As long as your HDL is over 50, you ARE cleaning out your arteries.

Fruits and veggies don't clean them out but do give you some of the tools to help, so they are a good thing. Fruits in moderation of course.

The idea of "Healthy whole grains" is not based in real science but in B.S. The inflammation caused by grains is the primary contributor to the buildup in arteries (Atherosclerosis). There was once a study that showed that eating "healthy whole grains" instead of white flour reduced atherosclerosis. That's their whole basis. Comparing it to a worse evil! Not comparing it to not eating the grains. Total B.S. Stay off the grains and be healthy. IMHO.

My grandfather, my uncle, and my father all died of heart disease. My father's cardiologist had him on the accepted heart healthy diet of: no egg yolks, no bacon, but eat lots of bread and pasta. His disease only got worse until he died at an early age. I'm sure his doctor was doing his best, but going on bad dietary information.

I am now older than he was and my cardiologist says I'm in great shape. I didn't used to be. I'm down 50lbs and I was at high risk of heart disease and had plenty of arterial plaque.

You, like me, probably saved your life by going low carb.--Very cool.
Brassteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassteacher View Post
As long as your HDL is over 50, you ARE cleaning out your arteries.

Fruits and veggies don't clean them out but do give you some of the tools to help, so they are a good thing. Fruits in moderation of course.

The idea of "Healthy whole grains" is not based in real science but in B.S. The inflammation caused by grains is the primary contributor to the buildup in arteries (Atherosclerosis). There was once a study that showed that eating "healthy whole grains" instead of white flour reduced atherosclerosis. That's their whole basis. Comparing it to a worse evil! Not comparing it to not eating the grains. Total B.S. Stay off the grains and be healthy. IMHO.

My grandfather, my uncle, and my father all died of heart disease. My father's cardiologist had him on the accepted heart healthy diet of: no egg yolks, no bacon, but eat lots of bread and pasta. His disease only got worse until he died at an early age. I'm sure his doctor was doing his best, but going on bad dietary information.

I am now older than he was and my cardiologist says I'm in great shape. I didn't used to be. I'm down 50lbs and I was at high risk of heart disease and had plenty of arterial plaque.

You, like me, probably saved your life by going low carb.--Very cool.
Thank you for this info! Congrats on a good report from your cardiologist. I would never go back to the way I was eating before. It made me miserable. But you can't help but wonder about the damage that I did to my body decades before I started going LC. Thanks for the info about the HDL. That gives me some reassurance. My systolic blood pressure has gone down and my diastolic has roughly stayed the same. Some would argue that 84 isn't bad but its higher than what it used to be. In my 20s I had an average blood pressure of 118/64.