Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Need help with labs so I can talk to my doc

I just received my lab work back and most numbers have greatly improved from last year!! And after reading through the boards, I understand most of this but do have a question about 1 number - LDL-P.

Ok, so my basic numbers are:

Total - 188
HDL 61 (up from last year!)
Non HDL - 127
Trig - 101 (down, yay!)
LDL Cholesterol Calc 107 (this should be under 100, but I'm not sure exactly what this is - Calc?)

LDL/HDL ratio 1.8

LDL - P 1469. This is the one I'm concerned about. It should be under 1000.
However my LDL size is 21.1 which says it's in the Pattern A, large size particles.

Also, the Small LDL-P is 119 which is way down from last year, and under 527 is considered good.

So my question is do I need to worry about the LDL-P number since I have mostly Pattern A, and my small LDL-p number is so low?

Hopefully someone here understands this more than I do, so I can talk to my doc informatively. She wanted to put me on statins last year and I told her no way!

I should also state that last year my C-reactive was an 8, very high. And it's down to 3!! Still a little high but much better!

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------

Last edited by astribling; 10-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: added another number
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I don't know as much about some types of cholesterol as others on here, but I do want to say congrats on lowering your inflammation level, C-reactive protein, so much! That has to be major reassurance for you that your WOE is the right thing!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
I don't know as much about some types of cholesterol as others on here, but I do want to say congrats on lowering your inflammation level, C-reactive protein, so much! That has to be major reassurance for you that your WOE is the right thing!
Thanks! Yes, that number was a big concern. Along with my diet change, I have also added chia seeds, and things like kale to my diet. I do think this helped!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I was just reading "Wheat Belly" this morning, and read something about a Friedewald calculation:

LDL cholesterol=total cholesterol-HDL cholesterol-(triglycerides divided by 5)

That may be the Calc....???

That's about all I know! Congratulations on your better numbers!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I believe LDL is usualy calculated. Hence the LDL calc. Because triglecerides enter into this calculation extremley high trigleceride levels of 400 or higher can mess this calculation up and in this case a LDL direct test can be used. Another advantage of the
LDL direct test is it can be taken any time ever right after eating.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sleepingduty
Stats: 144/127/125
WOE: Low Carb/JUDD
Start Date: 2012
HDL,LDL, triglycerides

I know a little bit about the lipid panel, and can't remember which video I saw it on, but I know your bloodwork is much better than before. When a diet is high in carbohydrates and sugar, you will normally see high triglycerides, low HDL, high LDL with a higher amount of the pattern B (the dense, artery clogging kind). When you reduce your carbohydrates, you will see higher HDL, lower triglycerides, the LDL will have higher pattern A (the good fluffy kind), and lower pattern B. The LDL calc is calculated from other parts of the bloodwork. You are wise to stay away from any statins and use your diet to lower the bad lipids. My last bloodwork showed cholesterol 205, triglycerides 36, HDL 68 and LDL was 100 pattern A. Sometimes doctors don't look at the big picture, and you really have to become educated on what is best for you. In summary, keep doing what you are doing, stay lo carb, and keep your HDL and Pattern A LDL high, and your triglycerides low. This is what you want to see to protect your heart and blood vessels from plaque. Just my .02 worth.
Sleepingduty is offline   Reply With Quote