Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob3333
Low blood sugar on low carb

I've been keeping my total carbs between 80 and 100 for the past month. I have been very light headed, feel completely out of it mentally, like I just can't think at all, and waking up at 3am in a sweat and can't get back to sleep.

I finally got a blood glucose monitor and have found my blood sugar has been about 65 to 70 in the middle of the night and in the morning. During the day even after a small meal with 15 carbs in it it is only rising to about 80 or so. I don't really know much about blood sugar levels and am wondering if those of you with more knowledge can tell me if this is normal for a non-diabetic.

I've also got very low blood pressure, like about 100/65 or so which may contribute to the light headedness and the spaciness.

Between the two issues I feel pretty crummy. Any ideas would be appreciated.
bob3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you have to accept that those monitors are not terribly accurate, first off. secondly, those numbers are NOT dangerously low. some people just run low blood sugars.

since your numbers are not rising that much after eating what to me is a fair amount of carbs, I don't think the low levels are related to your diet. but there is only one way to find out. if you are willing, take a few weeks and eat a higher level of carbs, what you feel would have been "normal" for you, and test your levels. since you have not been eating really low carb, I am pretty sure you would not gain back a bunch of water weight. you could probably do this with very little long term effect, whereas for someone in ketosis it's a bigger disruption.

if you go to the doc without doing this experiment, they will tell you it's because you are eating low carb. it's sort of a knee jerk thing with doctors almost across the board. I am not blaming them, they are just ignorant of the real effects of carb restriction. so I don't think, seeing the doc first is your best bet. I would do the experiment raising carbs for at least two weeks, monitor your blood sugar and your blood pressure, plus your energy level and mood.

either you will answer your own question that yes, you feel a lot better eating more carbs, or you will find it doesn't make a lot of difference. having that information when you DO go to the doctor would save a lot of time trying to figure it out.

good luck in any case.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob3333
Thanks for the feedback and the idea about monitoring more. I will definitely do that. I already know I feel better mentally eating higher carbs and I have more energy to exercise. However, I also start to gain weight and get massively hungry when the carbs get too high…like over about 130 or so. I keep trying different levels of carbs/fats/proteins and I'm not being very successful.
bob3333 is offline   Reply With Quote