Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Lexapro

Anyone here on Lexapro? I recently went to see a psychiatrist because I've been suffering with anxiety, depression, paranoia, and major social anxiety. Basically, I'm bipolar.

Anyways, the doctor prescribed Lexapro and a benzo. I'm afraid to the meds. I took unprescribed diet pills before that made me hallicunate along with a ton of other symptoms. Since then, I've been afraid to take any type of prescription medication.

If you've taken Lexapro or Clonazepam, what has your experience been like?

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #2

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Meek!

I took Lexapro for a couple of years after my daughter was born. I've suffered with depression and anxiety for years and years, but it got out of control with post-partum, so I got the script.

The only side affect I ever noticed was that it made me perspire a little more than usual, though I was very overweight at the time, so I'm not sure how much was the Lexapro and how much was me just being obese.

It helped. I didn't get amped or overly happy or anything, just felt more in control.

I went off it to try Welbutrin because I was also trying to stop smoking and that's supposed to help. I had a horrible reaction to the Welbutrin and stopped taking anything.

I've since been diagnosed with thyroid disease and I find with my thyroid regulated, my anxiety and depression are greatly improved, so I haven't felt the need to go back on anything, but I would go back to Lexapro if I started to feel overwhelmed again.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #3

Hi Dawn. Thank for sharing your experience. I've been hearing good and bad things about Lexapro. I'm happy to hear you felt more in control on the medication. I'm worried about jitters and feeling like I'm high or out of my mind. I had a bad experience with diet pills and vowed never to take a stimulant again. I'm afraid and have been looking for alternatives to help with my anxiety and depression. I plan to try 5-htp to see if that'll help. If not, maybe I'll try the Lexapro. My PCP and Pdoc says it (Lexapro) is good and will help.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Please do let me know how it goes. I never got jitters from Lexapro, and I'm one that can't even take cold medicine because I get jitters and heart palpitations. I did try the 5-htp and didn't notice any benefits. Sometimes, when I know I'll be in a situation that causes anxiety (for me that could be a long road trip, or even a stop at Walmart! ), I'll take Valerian Root. It makes some people sleepy, but just helps me calm down a bit. That could be another option to try if the 5-htp doesn't give you results and you still want to try something more natural before going to a prescription.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Clonazepam. Yes, for anxiety. It was the only way I could sleep while things were hitting the fan hard for a while there. I haven't taken it in months - probably a year or so now, but for a good 9 months to a year, I took it 75% of every night. It did make me a little draggy the next day, though, I think.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
I took Lexapro for a couple of years. It really helped the anxiety and depression
took about 6 weeks to take full effect. No instant happy, no euphoria. I was afraid of addiction, but this just isn't that kind of drug (at least not for me)

As I told my DR once Lexapro took effect. I didn't really notice a change in myself. But EVERYONE else became much easier to get along with.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

I purchased 5-htp yesterday, but haven't taken it yet. I'm afraid of this now too because of some comments on the net. Ugh, this all makes me sick!! Now I'm thinking I should at least try the Lex, but I'm afraid of stimulants and the addiction factor. I hear some have gained weight on Lex as well. Anyone experience weight gain while taking the med?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Please do let me know how it goes. I never got jitters from Lexapro, and I'm one that can't even take cold medicine because I get jitters and heart palpitations. I did try the 5-htp and didn't notice any benefits. Sometimes, when I know I'll be in a situation that causes anxiety (for me that could be a long road trip, or even a stop at Walmart! ), I'll take Valerian Root. It makes some people sleepy, but just helps me calm down a bit. That could be another option to try if the 5-htp doesn't give you results and you still want to try something more natural before going to a prescription.
- I don't mean to laugh, but I can relate in regards to the long road trip. I become very anxious during my commute home from work. I have been on leave since July because of depression, anxiety, etc... I'm afraid to drive at times. I can't check my mailbox without freaking out...and don't let a car come down my street that I don't recognize... I am so paranoid

I'm going to look into Valerian root. I've heard of that before...off to do research.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordita View Post
Clonazepam. Yes, for anxiety. It was the only way I could sleep while things were hitting the fan hard for a while there. I haven't taken it in months - probably a year or so now, but for a good 9 months to a year, I took it 75% of every night. It did make me a little draggy the next day, though, I think.
Did you experience severe withdraw symptoms? Some folks on YT swear they are having or have had a hard time coming off Clonazepam.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCRUISER View Post
I took Lexapro for a couple of years. It really helped the anxiety and depression
took about 6 weeks to take full effect. No instant happy, no euphoria. I was afraid of addiction, but this just isn't that kind of drug (at least not for me)

As I told my DR once Lexapro took effect. I didn't really notice a change in myself. But EVERYONE else became much easier to get along with.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What kind of symptoms did you notice during the first 6 weeks?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #11

So far I am loving the feedback about Valerian root. I'm going to take the 5-htp back to CVS and get the V instead!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Meek
Lexapro didn't make me gain weight, in fact I lost weight while taking it. I stopped taking it as it made me feel lazy and emotionally flat and unable to even cry when a situation warranted it. Just curious if you have had a complete thyroid panel done?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Meek
Lexapro didn't make me gain weight, in fact I lost weight while taking it. I stopped taking it as it made me feel lazy and emotionally flat and unable to even cry when a situation warranted it. Just curious if you have had a complete thyroid panel done?
Thanks for responding. My co-worker is on Lex and she stated that nothing fazes her while on the med. She also said it makes her yarn a lot.

Yes, I had a thyroid panel w/TSH completed just recently. See results below:

T4 = 9.0 (normal)

T3 Uptake = 33.6 (normal)

Free Thyroxine Index = 3.0 (normal)

TSH = 1.022 (normal)

How often should I have my thyroid check??

Thank you
Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #14

I just picked up some Valerian root. Good lawd those pills STANK!! I don't know how I'll be able to take them without vomitted .
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek75 View Post
I just picked up some Valerian root. Good lawd those pills STANK!! I don't know how I'll be able to take them without vomitted .
I probably should have warned you. We call them the "stinky feet" pills. I usually only take them on road trips, and it stinks up the whole car.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
I probably should have warned you. We call them the "stinky feet" pills. I usually only take them on road trips, and it stinks up the whole car.
I can't get past the smell . My bottle says the serving size is 5 capsules at 450 grams . How much do you normally take?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #17

My bottle says 1-3 capsules, IIRC (It's in DH's car). I usually take 2. There's another brand my aunt uses, but I can't remember the name. They are small, white pills, and have no odor at all. I take the big, greenish/brown capsules. The smell is awful, but I just plug my nose and down them with lots of water.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek75 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. What kind of symptoms did you notice during the first 6 weeks?
No symptoms , no jitters,no weight gain, nothing, Some time between week 3&6, less hurt feelings, less crying, more wanting to socialize. took the full 6 weeks for me to realize How much lexpro had helped. I stayed on it a couple of years. I think I had to relearn what normal feels to me, hope that makes since.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCRUISER View Post
No symptoms , no jitters,no weight gain, nothing, Some time between week 3&6, less hurt feelings, less crying, more wanting to socialize. took the full 6 weeks for me to realize How much lexpro had helped. I stayed on it a couple of years. I think I had to relearn what normal feels to me, hope that makes since.
Yes, makes sense. Your review makes me want to give Lex a try. At least for a couple months. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
My bottle says 1-3 capsules, IIRC (It's in DH's car). I usually take 2. There's another brand my aunt uses, but I can't remember the name. They are small, white pills, and have no odor at all. I take the big, greenish/brown capsules. The smell is awful, but I just plug my nose and down them with lots of water.
I tried plugging my nose, but... I still can't take them I'm going to see if I can find the brand your aunt use.

Thanks for your help, Dawn.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Meek
I wasn't going to post until I read this. I could have wrote this. I felt like a zombie on Lexapro. And I was really really really depressed at that point (this was like 5-6 years ago) so I tried it. I was on it about 6 months. I hated it so much I decided that prescription drugs are not the route for me.

I ended up getting a thyroid doctor to take my blood work seriously (after seeing about 4 doctors ) and was severely hypothyroid. After a couple months on the medication I felt like a different person. My depression/anxiety and overall mental state changed to something I never thought possible. Normalcy.

I still struggle with it (it's been 4 years on thyroid meds) but it's nothing like it used to be. I'm no longer suicidal and no longer cut.

I switch pharmacies to Walmart a few months back to save money, the meds were different but I didn't think anything of it. After taking them about a month I was getting depressed and my emotions were getting uncontrollable again. It took me a minute to put 2 and 2 together, and after some research I found out not all drug manufacturers use the same ingredients in their medication.

I immediately went back to Walgreens and got my meds and a few weeks later I was ok again.

OP-I wanted to try 5htp at one point, but the side effects scared me. I ended up taking SAM-E for quite a while and it helped. I'm off it right now because while I was on Walmart thyroid meds I was taking it and thought it may have not been helping, but turns out it was the Walmart meds.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
Stats: 250/230/145
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012
Your ranges are needed with all thyroid panel and it's not just about numbers. It's how you feel which so many doctors don't care. You want TSH, FT3 and FT4 and possibly if you have thyroid issues you need thyroid antibodies ran which can be say 6 of them I do not know off hand. You want your FT3 & FT4 in the upper 1/3 of the range. If you are dropping out of the ranges on those your TSH is irrelevant. If you have thyroid antibodies your TSH is irrelevant. Many doctors won't tell you. You need a good doctor to do this. They are hard to find so you need to look for someone who specializes in it.

Lexapro made me flatlined. Instead of getting my thyroid right they threw that at me. I didn't care. I can't take any ssri's in an attempt for doctors to ignore a thyroid issue.

"Doing LC Gourmet Style and keeping it interesting!"

250/230/145
Started 8/15/12
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote