Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: tyler43836
Stats: ugh
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 3/31/08
Anyone here with adult ADHD?

I browsed through but didn't see anything. Is there anyone here with ADHD or is there a thread that I missed?
tyler43836 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I have a spectacular level of adult ADHD! I don't recall any threads about it though.

Happy to talk about it, if that is what you're looking for.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
ADHD'er here too as well. I don't remember seeing any threads on this board about it before. . . but happy to discuss.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #4

Happy to see others. My diagnosis was recent and it finally seems like a lightbulb has come on! I'm dealing with a lot of anger as well. The years of misdiagnosis and misunderstanding.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I have adhd. Pretty severe. I've been diagnosed several times in my life but it is really a pain to get treated in nj if you switch docs. Nobody wants to touch it as there is such a witch hunt on docs who prescribe meds for adhd in nj as there is such abuse of the meds. I'm actually seeing a nuerologist now to treat me. I have a love hate relationship with the meds as they help tremendously . Gone on and off them ... Somehow, I have this ideas that because my symtoms manifest bevorially that I need to suck it up and be strong but the truth is that it is a medical / nuerological condition and that I'm being ridiculous.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I have adhd. Pretty severe. I've been diagnosed several times in my life but it is really a pain to get treated in nj if you switch docs. Nobody wants to touch it as there is such a witch hunt on docs who prescribe meds for adhd in nj as there is such abuse of the meds. I'm actually seeing a nuerologist now to treat me. I have a love hate relationship with the meds as they help tremendously . Gone on and off them ... Somehow, I have this ideas that because my symtoms manifest bevorially that I need to suck it up and be strong but the truth is that it is a medical / nuerological condition and that I'm being ridiculous.
I know! I am still weighting the pros and cons of meds. I'm thinking maybe if I do them temporarily while I 'get a grip'. It's such a lot to deal with. Were you diagnosed young?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thing is the meds are safe and help. They aren't a temporary crutch . My issue with them has more to do with other meds I take fir migraines. As i ease into another med I like to have a clean slate so I know if side effete are new meds or adhd med reacting. They work though and allow for behavior modification. Adhd is a real disorder --- I have gotten over my personal bias about social stigmas connected with stimulants. You won't get a Purple Heart for not taking the meds nd suffering with adhd. Also--- they didn't change me whatsoever . I am still creative, dynamic and dynamic. I can just organize my purse and complete tasks I can't do!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Thing is the meds are safe and help. They aren't a temporary crutch . My issue with them has more to do with other meds I take fir migraines. As i ease into another med I like to have a clean slate so I know if side effete are new meds or adhd med reacting. They work though and allow for behavior modification. Adhd is a real disorder --- I have gotten over my personal bias about social stigmas connected with stimulants. You won't get a Purple Heart for not taking the meds nd suffering with adhd. Also--- they didn't change me whatsoever . I am still creative, dynamic and dynamic. I can just organize my purse and complete tasks I can't do!
This is quite true and makes a lot of sense. I have had it rough enough being undiagnosed for so long....why am I averse to doing something that will make my life easier!?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I was told I had ADD but the meds made me feel horrible so I stopped taking them. I have seen improvement since taking wellbutrin and starting thyroid meds.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Jeanie- low dose anti depressants do work well for some adults with adhd. I never tried thT route as adderall works very well for me though the transition is kind of funny . Like zero appetite all day and unable to eat for a few weeks. I also had what I thought was rapid heartbeat but had EKG and was just fine .

Did you also do any behavior mods? I found once on meds I could follow the mods consistently! Luckily or maybe unfortunately I never had learning problems associated with adhd therefore my struggles in school were attributed to laziness or lack of motivation. All I needed was some scaffolding or a different plan or maybe meds that would have helped. In addition , I am not from the US and was educated in Latin America .

When were you all diAgnosed And what lead to diagnosis . I had a series of brain scans and and computer based tests to rule out a variety of other cognitive or health issues that would have caused my symptoms along with migraines.

Are you being treated by family doc. , neurologist or psychiatrist?

Ps.
Search dr hallowell adhd. I met him at a school conference. Excellent resource as is dr amen and the FEMale brain..

Last edited by Spanilingo; 09-11-2013 at 05:55 AM..
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Haziefrog
Stats: 325/125
WOE: Lap RNY & low carb
Start Date: 02/05/03
I too have ADHD as an adult. As a child I just got in a ton of trouble in school, back then you just needed to concentrate, work harder,. I was 42 when I was diagnosed.

I am on meds, and about a year and a half ago my doctor changed one of my meds to Wellbutrin (from Cymbalta because my insurance co would no no longer cover it at all). My heart rate went through the roof, she thought is was the adderall and I had to stop taking it. We tried several different things, but nothing worked. Then I asked her to stop the Wellbutrin, and she put me on Prozac, my heart rate went back down and she asked me if I wanted to go back on the adderall, and at first I said no, let me try without it. About 2 months later, I asked to be put back on it, and I am a changed person.

I feel like me again. I never wanted to go on any meds much less what I referred to as crazy meds, but for me the combo works and I will never go back. I used to say that I would never medicate any of my sons, but now I feel very differently about it.

I would at least give it a try, because life is hard enough with ADHD, unmediated for the last year and a half I was not able to get out of bed, the migraines were horrible, and i was just so sick. I would go to work. maybe 3 or 4 times a week so i would not lose my job. I was depressed to the point of being sick, (yes they can go hand in hand).

Now I feel you just have to do what you need to do to make your life not just livable but happy too. And it can take a while to find the right combo of meds but I kept trying until I found what works for me.

This is the first time I have ever talked about this publicly, but I feel like there should not be shame in taking meds as directed when you need them.

Last edited by Haziefrog; 09-11-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Haziefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Wow! Hi everyone! I was diagnosed in graduate school. . . my thesis advisor kept getting so mad at me because I wasn't listening & following his direction. One day he asked me if I had ever seen a doctor about my problem and I was like, "what problem?"

LOL. So, I've been on meds pretty much ever since and my life and the lives of my loved ones have been much easier ever since. Unmedicated, I am extremely irritated by the smallest things. (Example -- I cannot stand to be in the same room with someone who is chewing gum. All I can hear is the sound of the gum being chewed & I literally can't think about anything else. Crazy but true.) And impatient. And disorganized. I'm still all of those things when on the medication, but much less so and most importantly I am AWARE of myself and my interaction with others. That's huge.

As far as what meds, let's see. I have a ton of other medical problems, so have made changes along the way. Way back when, I was first on wellbutrin only and if I recall, it only helped a little. Then dexedrine. I think that was before ritalin was available that people had that one. Then adderall which worked well for me for a long time. Then I had a heart attack and had to be off of any stimulant medications for months--not a good time of my life. Now I take strattera which doesn't work as well as adderall but the cardiologist is the most comfortable with it right now.

In addition to the medication, knowing you have ADHD helps me understand a lot of the things that I just thought I was weird about. Things like checklists (sounds crazy, but I do what works) for everything I need to do before a job interview, printing out copies of recipes and crossing off ingredients as I add them in (I always forget what I put in already), always double checking dates & times I put on my calendar, etc. are worth doing. Lots of good books, etc. out there. Easier to do this stuff if you are on medication though.

Seriously, though, if you're not 100% happy with "things" right now, try the meds. You have nothing to lose. You'll either be a littler more satisfied, a little less, or just the same. And you can stop taking them.

Like all mental illness, ADHD is not a weakness. It is a disease. We do not get any medals for suffering through it or spending one more day pretending that everything is okay. ADHD is treatable. Different doctors and patients choose different ways to treat it. Some choose not to treat it. Those decisions are highly personal and I respect all of them, of course. The best thing is that we have options and opportunities.

*Gets off the pulpit*

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Sheesh, forgot where I was posting. So, when I am not on my ADHD medication, my body really would like me to self-medicate with the stimulants I gravitated towards before I was diagnosed: sugar and caffeine. I had forgotten all about that until I had to be off the meds and all of that came rushing back. This is not so ideal for my current WOE! So, another reason to try the meds out.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #14

Gallery: Meek75
I have been official diagnosed, but I suspect I have ADHD. However, I was recently diagnosed with Mood swings and major depression. The doctor prescribed Lexapro and Clonazepam which I'm afraid to take. I am suffering and know the meds will help, but... I am afraid of prescription meds
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I was diagnosed and treated for Bipolar for 4 years without success before a very perceptive counselor suggested that ADHD might fit better. And he was right (bless him, wherever he is).

Adderall changed my life. Saved my life. After I started taking it the utterly crippling anxiety and agoraphobia became managable. The depression was reduced. And life went from constant miserable pain to just unpleasant in parts. I can stand to go to the movies and the grocery store. I can deal with the details of everyday life, like paying bills. (Wellbutrin has helped too, when I tried it before the Adderall it was bad, but now it it the only thing that has made a dent in the depression.)

Also, checklists RULE!

Meek75, do consider trying the clonazepam. Try a half of what the doc recommended to see if it helps with the anxiety you have about taking meds, then maybe try the Lexapro. I say this because it got so bad for me that I couldn't function at all, and if I'd started medication sooner it might not have gotten so bad that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Also, I've taken over 25 different psych meds, and those two are very low risk in my opinion, if that helps.

To anyone who wants to know more about psych meds, google "crazymeds" for the best real life info. Kind of like what this site is for Low Carb.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #16

Gallery: Meek75
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
I was diagnosed and treated for Bipolar for 4 years without success before a very perceptive counselor suggested that ADHD might fit better. And he was right (bless him, wherever he is).

Adderall changed my life. Saved my life. After I started taking it the utterly crippling anxiety and agoraphobia became managable. The depression was reduced. And life went from constant miserable pain to just unpleasant in parts. I can stand to go to the movies and the grocery store. I can deal with the details of everyday life, like paying bills. (Wellbutrin has helped too, when I tried it before the Adderall it was bad, but now it it the only thing that has made a dent in the depression.)

Also, checklists RULE!

Meek75, do consider trying the clonazepam. Try a half of what the doc recommended to see if it helps with the anxiety you have about taking meds, then maybe try the Lexapro. I say this because it got so bad for me that I couldn't function at all, and if I'd started medication sooner it might not have gotten so bad that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Also, I've taken over 25 different psych meds, and those two are very low risk in my opinion, if that helps.

To anyone who wants to know more about psych meds, google "crazymeds" for the best real life info. Kind of like what this site is for Low Carb.
Thanks for your feedback. My doc suggested I start off with half of both to ease my way into taking them. I haven't started yet due to feedback on YT I have to keep in mind we're all different and what others experience may not happen to me.

Off to google "crayzymeds." Thanks again
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
Hi, I have adult ADD - it came to light during my menopause, when my gynae said that female brains don't necessarily turn to porridge at this time (lol!) and that I may have an underlying condition. To cut a long story short, I saw the top consultant in the UK, was officially diagnosed and was prescribed Concerta, which has changed my life. Adult ADD is virtually unrecognised in the UK, so I'm very lucky to have got this far - I had to fight very hard to climb this mountain! What we don't have are ADD coaches - could some US ADD coaches come over and help us out please? Thank you!
Jaycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juhanna
Stats: 197/184/122
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 6th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycey View Post
Hi, I have adult ADD - it came to light during my menopause, when my gynae said that female brains don't necessarily turn to porridge at this time (lol!) and that I may have an underlying condition. To cut a long story short, I saw the top consultant in the UK, was officially diagnosed and was prescribed Concerta, which has changed my life. Adult ADD is virtually unrecognised in the UK, so I'm very lucky to have got this far - I had to fight very hard to climb this mountain! What we don't have are ADD coaches - could some US ADD coaches come over and help us out please? Thank you!
@Jaycey, just noticed that you are from uk and with adult adhd.
I live in uk too and have the symptoms of adhd/add, which has been a very hard and complicated road with my gp, as they refuse to listen to my concerns.
I've suffered with depression, anxieties, lack of concentration, inability to stay long term relationships, dis-organized... and I've been going to the doc for years about depression and all my symptoms individually not knowing what's wrong with me, had so many blood tests done etc. but nothing, just nothing.
Until one day came across with this when trying to find out why my daughter finds it impossible to sit still, or be quiet, plus other concentration, learning problems similar to what I had when child, but adhd was not known then and even if it was my mother wasn't in my life to realise there was anything wrong with me.

Anyhow to try and cut it short, how did you manage to get refered and what made your cod to listen to you? any tips you could give me?

end of september 179lb 82kg
end of october 174lb 79kg
end of november 169lb 77kg
end of december 164lb 75kg

juhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzieQ
Count me in to. ADD and ADHD seems to run in my family. I take Adderal everyday & it sure does help me.
SuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote