Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Muscle cramping all over (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/811648-muscle-cramping-all-over.html)

Tracy0821 09-06-2013 12:01 PM

Muscle cramping all over

:sad:For 2 days I have felt like my muscles are tired and they cramp up...arm muscles, leg muscles, back muscles and upper right quadrant muscles. Why are my muscles aching and cramping??? UGHHHHH Also while I was sleeping I couldn't seep good because of the achy feeling and anxiety that I may have cramping

Jackie123 09-06-2013 12:04 PM

Try potassium- it might be worth it to you to try a good chelated multivitamin. That stuff is usually lack of minerals and vitamins.

Aomiel 09-06-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy0821 (Post 16593039)
:sad:For 2 days I have felt like my muscles are tired and they cramp up...arm muscles, leg muscles, back muscles and upper right quadrant muscles. Why are my muscles aching and cramping??? UGHHHHH Also while I was sleeping I couldn't seep good because of the achy feeling and anxiety that I may have cramping

You could be describing my life for the last 2 weeks. My doc took some labs last Friday and called today to tell me she was prescribing a potassium supplement for me because I was definitely low...explaining the weakness, cramping, tiredness, depression/anxiety, numbness and tingling in hands and arms.

Low carb tends to be diuretic enough that it's fairly easy to deplete potassium, particularly if you're not eating many vegies (or the right ones).

evas 09-06-2013 02:52 PM

I used to have leg cramps almost every morning until I started taking a Magnesium supplement. I only take it 2 to 3 times a week and I haven't had that problem again.

ravenrose 09-06-2013 04:18 PM

of course the most common reason is dehydration, followed by low sodium, if you are low carbing. don't get too fancy before you try the two obvious things! good luck.

yoshi 09-06-2013 04:48 PM

I used to be plagued with muscle cramps in my calves and upper arms. As long as I take magnesium and potassium supplements and get enough calcium, I don't have them.

girondet 09-06-2013 05:48 PM

I tend to get the most dehydrated from alcohol and certain otc medicines, but also if I don't eat enough veggies. Water can just pass right through me. I regularly take magnesium and track my vitamins and minerals. I had less trouble with this when I was younger than 40.:dunno:

Olive 09-06-2013 06:38 PM

Half an avocado topped with mayonnaise with a splash of soy sauce.

Nancy E. 09-06-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16593321)
of course the most common reason is dehydration, followed by low sodium, if you are low carbing. don't get too fancy before you try the two obvious things! good luck.

ITA.....

MissBeeps 09-06-2013 08:47 PM

I've found that drinking a bottle of electrolyte water a day (as well as a lot of other water!) has prevented any side effects for me. I also have chicken stock (the good, home made stuff with all of the benefits,) just about every day. I highly recommend both.

Electrolyte water can be found anywhere these days (Smartwater, store brands, etc.) and is cheap.

Nancy E. 09-07-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBeeps (Post 16593554)
I've found that drinking a bottle of electrolyte water a day (as well as a lot of other water!) has prevented any side effects for me. I also have chicken stock (the good, home made stuff with all of the benefits,) just about every day. I highly recommend both.

Electrolyte water can be found anywhere these days (Smartwater, store brands, etc.) and is cheap.

Very important, I had to learn the hard way, Ntombi gave me the best advice, keep your Electrolytes up, anyway you can. All of our bodies are different, with different needs, you do not have to give up your WOE. :)

Dottie 09-07-2013 09:49 AM

Good intentions aside, it could be a medical problem that needs to be addresses.
Supplements may help, but no one can "diagnose" you and suggest a treatment on here, you need to ask your doctor.

Nancy E. 09-07-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16594087)
Good intentions aside, it could be a medical problem that needs to be addresses.
Supplements may help, but no one can "diagnose" you and suggest a treatment on here, you need to ask your doctor.

:goodpost: Best advice.