Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
CPAP masks

The sleep place I went to is slow pathetically slow, but I finally got my results from them and will be getting a CPAP machine. At the doctor's office they gave me one mask as an extra and said when I get the machine I will get a mask with that.

The one at the office just covered the nose. I was concerned that would be a problem keeping my mouth shut, but she said you get used to it. I can kind of understand that because as soon as the mouth opens it chokes you. I'm going to the supplier next week and I started thinking about the mask. Will I actually get used to sleeping with my mouth closed all night because the machine will help me breathe better and that is why I tend to have my mouth open? The other thing that concerns me is what happens when I get stick and I'm all stuffed up? I know then I 100% sleep with my mouth open because I can't breathe. If I only have a mask that covers my nose won't that be a problem?

I'm researching a little before I go to supplier. Is there any other questions I should be asking them?
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Bull ... you might want to ask this over on cpap talk. There are a lot of people on that board who also work in the sleep study industry besides being cpap users. If this " you
get used to it" was true why do some of the people there use chin straps to hold there
mouth closed or even resort to taping there mouth shut! It was determened at my study
that I was a mouth breather and needed a full face mask no two ways about it. But again you might ask again over at cpap talk. It might be they found out you only breath
through your mouth a little bit and perhaps in that case you do get used to it.

Google: cpaptalk CPAP and Sleep Apnea Community
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
It's hard to say. I do keep my mouth closed because I tend to "clench" anyway. If I open my mouth air just comes out and it doesn't help keep my throat open. I do use a nose only as it's what I prefer. I would get claustrophobia with a full face mask. There are lots of different styles of masks and you may need to try a couple styles to see what works best for you. Check out cpap.com for a look at what's available. My favorite accessory from cpap.com is my hose wrap. I use a 10ft hose and have a snugglie on it and it really helps.

As far as being stuffy, nasal spray is your friend. I use a moisturizing, decongesting type every night because I do have sinus problems.

Last edited by Mom2AandE; 09-05-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I didn't even think to search for a board with this kind of info. Thanks for that tip.

I actually grind my teeth, but not sure I totaly close my mouth to do that. I did an at home sleep study and I don't think they could tell from that whether I keep my mouth open or shut.

The lady in the doctor's office that told me you get used to keeping your mouth shut actually uses the nose only mouth, so I think she was talking from her experience. I was sort of trying to be aware of it since then when I lay down to go to sleep. It didn't seem a big deal, but I'm not sure what happens when I'm actually sleeping. The last few days my allergies have been bothering me and even though I'm not stuffed up now it made me think about that issue.

The nose only thing does seem a bit less obtrusive, but if it doesn't work I wouldn't be happy with that. I'm guessing my insurance won't say buy a bunch of them to see which one you like best and we'll pay for it.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
I tend to grind my teeth a bit too so that keeps my jaw tightly shut. You might be surprised.

The mask I use is called the Wisp. I love it because it doesn't have a forehead brace and is very light weight. It is a new style and very comfortable.
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote