Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Digestive enzyme/bile salts question

I have no gallbladder and have been wondering if I should be taking a digestive enzyme supplements of some type. Does anyone else her take them... do you have a gallbladder...

Had mine out a number of years ago but have issues with discomfort as if it is still here..... doc had an ultrasound done today... feels I may still have stones in duct... maybe....will have to wait for the report.

But to help not to get them would it be a good idea to take these supplements..... kinda looking for someone who does... My best friend had her gallbladder out and has no problems.... figures I would be the one

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I had my GB out in 09 and I never had stones. Mine just "stopped working." The problem I had and have to this day is the bad "bile diarrhea" or whatever it's called. My gastro doc put me on Questran powder (cholestyramine, used for cholesterol) and it helps but I don't take it every day. I have never used the enzymes you speak of, but I think they probably wouldn't hurt you and are definitely worth a try. I like to look for natural solutions to problems, but the ONLY thing that stops my GB diarrhea is the Questran. I HATE having to rely on a prescription cholesterol drug when my cholesterol has always been perfect, but gallbladders are the worst as far as having symptoms even after the darn thing is removed.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I never heard of digestive enzyme/bile salts I had my Gaul bladder removed in the early 90's and for a few years after that I had some minor problems but soon it resolved itself. I am interested to learn more on this subject
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QuilterInVA
Stats: 170/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2013
Your body still produces bile. All the gall bladder did was store it. You don't need any supplement.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Your body still produces bile. All the gall bladder did was store it. You don't need any supplement.
While QuilterInVa is correct that your body still produces bile, I disagree that you don't need supplements. Just as we all release/gain weight differently, we also all handle the loss of a gallbladder differently.

If you have no gallbladder, you may have a difficult time breaking down and digesting fats. Your liver is still producing bile in order to digest fats but without the gallbladder the bile is not as readily secreted in the body and the liver can become overwhelmed when faced with large amounts of fats. Long chain triglycerides (LCT) require bile to break down where medium chain triglycerides (MCT) are water soluble and do not require bile to break them down. They are broken down almost immediately by enzymes in the saliva and gastric juices. They can go directly to the liver to be used as a source of fuel to produce energy. Also, with MCTs, pancreatic fat-digesting enzymes are not even essential.

Consuming coconut oil is the best way to get the essential fats needed for fuel without requiring large amount of bile, so it’s perfect for those of us who have had their gallbladder removed.

There is nothing that takes the place of bile in emulsifying and breaking down fats, but Ox Bile is a preferred supplement in natural health care to aid digestion.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I do take dig enzymes for my food allergies.I do not have a gall bladder issue.If you need to take them,start at a very low dose and work your way up.A naturopath maybe able to help you out.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote