Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Does sugar feed cancer: please keep the discussion civil

People, I'm sorry but I'm really concerned about the advice that's being given on this thread. Both Mayo Clinic and MD Anderson are adamant that sugar does not cause tumors to grow. It's wonderful that you're all thinking of low-carb foods to curb OP's nausea, but this is verging into misinformed medical advice.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Olive, there is some very convincing evidence that carbohydrates and the resultant serum glucose levels are driving cancers. I suggest that you do some research on the subject rather than accepting the information you are working under as a truth.

I would suggest that you have a look at the study I sited in me previous post and also perhaps check out the writings of the many well informed on the subject of cancer as a metabolic disease.

The suggestions given here are all sound and good with the exception of yours. Sorry but probably all of us have someone or more who has suffered from cancer.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-26-2013 at 03:59 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Olive, there is some very convincing evidence that carbohydrates and the resultant serum glucose levels are driving cancers. I suggest that you do some research on the subject rather than accepting the information you are working under as a truth.

I would suggest that you have a look at the study I sited in me previous post and also perhaps check out the writings of the many well informed on the subject of cancer as a metabolic disease.

The suggestions given here are all sound and good with the exception of yours. Sorry but probably all of us have someone or more who has suffered from cancer.
I've read the study you linked to. It describes a connection between a low-carbohydrate diet and slowing down of metastasis (which I don't dispute in the slightest), Not "sugar feeds cancer", a medical myth that was debunked years ago.

The "sugar feeds cancer" is what I take issue with. It spreads the misinformation that carbohydrates cause metastasis and is frankly fear-mongering without conclusive results. Especially inappropriate given that an actual cancer patient is seeking our help, and no one here is qualified to make that kind of statement.

I'm horrified that you easily dismissed the position of the two leading oncology centers of the world, along with the American Cancer Society as not "good and sound", and that you also seemingly dismissed my input because you don't think I have a personal link to cancer. My father died of hepatic cancer when I was eleven. Not that it matters in this discussion.

I don't want this to turn into a "thing", so won't be participating more on this thread.

Phoebe

One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I've read the study you linked to. It describes a connection between a low-carbohydrate diet and slowing down of metastasis (which I don't dispute in the slightest), Not "sugar feeds cancer", a medical myth that was debunked years ago.

The "sugar feeds cancer" is what I take issue with. It spreads the misinformation that carbohydrates cause metastasis and is frankly fear-mongering without conclusive results. Especially inappropriate given that an actual cancer patient is seeking our help, and no one here is qualified to make that kind of statement.

I'm horrified that you easily dismissed the position of the two leading oncology centers of the world, along with the American Cancer Society as not "good and sound", and that you also seemingly dismissed my input because you don't think I have a personal link to cancer. My father died of hepatic cancer when I was eleven. Not that it matters in this discussion.

I don't want this to turn into a "thing", so won't be participating more on this thread.
Olive, you seem upset and for that I am sorry. However, your claim that sugar feeds cancer is a myth is simply untrue and that point must be made as to not further mislead people.

I certainly did not dismiss your input because "you don't have a personal link to cancer'. We all have had people we love suffer from cancer. My father had it, among others.

The study I sited is in part about the effects of a ketogenic diet. That is a diet very low in carbs. It is not incidental.

Suggesting that a cancer sufferer go have some whole wheat whatever is bad advice. There are tons of experts out there with pretty big credentials that continue togive really bad advice. This is a fact. Just listen to the advice of the diabetes association of any given country. It is bad advice.... so is the cancer advice. They seem totally clueless when it comes to nutrition and it's role in disease. This is a fact.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Olive, you seem upset and for that I am sorry. However, your claim that sugar feeds cancer is a myth is simply untrue and that point must be made as to not further mislead people.

I certainly did not dismiss your input because "you don't have a personal link to cancer'. We all have had people we love suffer from cancer. My father had it, among others.

The study I sited is in part about the effects of a ketogenic diet. That is a diet very low in carbs. It is not incidental.

Suggesting that a cancer sufferer go have some whole wheat whatever is bad advice. There are tons of experts out there with pretty big credentials that continue togive really bad advice. This is a fact. Just listen to the advice of the diabetes association of any given country. It is bad advice.... so is the cancer advice. They seem totally clueless when it comes to nutrition and it's role in disease. This is a fact.
Here I am breaking my own rule and posting again. Just to clarify, I am not upset or taking your comments personally.

Just two things here: 1) it's beyond dangerous for you to make the sweeping statement that if you were the OP, you'd avoid carbs of any kind, and then to actually say eating whole grains is a bad idea. We know nothing about the OP except that she's in chemo and experiencing nausea. Your advice could potentially "help" her enter a hypoglycemic state (a real concern for a chemo patient) or deprive her of necessary nutrients for toughing out her therapy. 2) none of us, myself included, have any business doling out any advice that didn't pertain to the OP's question, i.e we should've stuck to suggesting SF flat gingerale and broth. No matter how well intentioned I know we all are personally my heart just reached out to this OP and I didn't think things thru as I should have.

PS. This is a LC site. Since when are whole grains not a part of many LC regimes, including Atkins Maintenance and South Beach? This is the first time I've seen them villified on LCF.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Many low carb programs allow grains but those same programs warn that many people will not be able to tolerate them. For instance, they are the top rung on Atkins.

Then I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Wheat Belly from your local library and read it cover to cover. You may find it quite revealing on many health issues including cancer.

Another great resource is The blog of Dr. G. Ede on the subject. Here is a link...

www.diagnosisdiet.com/what-causes-cancer/

Last edited by clackley; 08-26-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
It is not dangerous in the slightest to tell the OP to avoid carbs (anything that rapidly turns to glucose)
It WOULD be dangerous for someone to tell the OP to stop chemo or radiation in favor of a LC diet.
Sugar fuels cancer. Wheat fuels cancer.
Just bc the cancer society is behind in their mainstream teachings doesn't mean it's not true.
Look at the ridiculous food pyramid. The bigwigs we are supposed to trust give us incorrect info.
I have read medical journals. I have read cancer therapies. I have watched videos.

It's a fact that giving the cancer patient a chocolate bar an hour before testing, greatly enhances the detail of cancer cells. So much so that they're thinking of implementing that into protocol.

Not to mention the too numerous to mention number of folks with Stage 4 cancer who seem to have obliterated any sign of cancer. Just from starving out the cells with low carb.
The last paragraph is anecdotal from lots of posts on forums .. People who were devastated with their dx and decided to try LC because frankly, why the heck not. And it worked.

The really sad part is my mom who is sick from Colon cancer and in a really bad state but continuing to eat all the comfort foods because she is so addicted to sugar and wheat.
I gave her the info, and the proof, but I do not nag because I live by the golden rule.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
While being treated for breast cancer my mother was told by her oncologist to avoid sugar.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
If I am ever in the unfortunate position to have a cancer diagnosis, one of the first things I would do would be to go low carb. I have read too much about the sugar and cancer link to not feel it has a negative impact on cancer cells.
Now big medicine may say it doesn't affect cancer, but if you have a diagnosis of something that can kill you, ofcourse you want to do everything in your power to stop that happening, and seeking the ultimate in health ( which would be low carb ideally) can only boost your health. Even if you believe that sugar doesn't feed cancer, there is no denying all the other awful things sugar does do, so why add that burden to an ill body, and in the off chance that sugar is making it easier for cancer to grow, why feed it?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/150/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Here I am breaking my own rule and posting again. Just to clarify, I am not upset or taking your comments personally.

Just two things here: 1) it's beyond dangerous for you to make the sweeping statement that if you were the OP, you'd avoid carbs of any kind, and then to actually say eating whole grains is a bad idea. We know nothing about the OP except that she's in chemo and experiencing nausea. Your advice could potentially "help" her enter a hypoglycemic state (a real concern for a chemo patient) or deprive her of necessary nutrients for toughing out her therapy. 2) none of us, myself included, have any business doling out any advice that didn't pertain to the OP's question, i.e we should've stuck to suggesting SF flat gingerale and broth. No matter how well intentioned I know we all are personally my heart just reached out to this OP and I didn't think things thru as I should have.

PS. This is a LC site. Since when are whole grains not a part of many LC regimes, including Atkins Maintenance and South Beach? This is the first time I've seen them villified on LCF.
Honest question... How is it beyond dangerous to say what you'd do in the OP's situation? That's not medical advice at all. That's saying what you'd do in that situation. You'd obviously do something different and you should feel free to say what you'd do in that situation. The other poster, me, and anyone else, should also say what we'd do in that situation.

As for whole grains... there's a wide variety of low carb lifestyles represented on this site and they differ greatly in their treatment of whole grains. And individual reactions to whole grains differ greatly. In my opinion, whole grains are for maintenance for people who can tolerate them. And not everyone can tolerate them.

You'll have to forgive me because I haven't read the thread that this is referring to; only this one. Off to see if I can find it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Your ?? Does sugar feed cancer: google PET Scan PET scan | Inside Radiology
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Now here is an article that complicates this issue. It implies polyunsaturated fats may
fule cancer.

Hyperlipid
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Thanks for the link E.W..

This interview is really interesting...

Cancer Dudes Live More – Eat Fats, Starve Cancer (Dr. Dominic D’Agostino Interview)
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
What a great thread. I always wondered about this.

Thanks E.W. for the link.

Thanks clackley for your link.

I read/watched them both. Great information.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
Thank you for these great links. I don't have cancer,but I would sure like to avoid it.
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
At my elementary school we feed kids Coco Puffs with the American Heart Association's seal of approval on them. Diabetic patients check into hospitals every day and are given white bread toast and orange juice.

This, of course, has nothing to do with cancer but it explains why arguments that contain, "But the XYZ Association says so" mean absolutely nothing to me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
At my elementary school we feed kids Coco Puffs with the American Heart Association's seal of approval on them. Diabetic patients check into hospitals every day and are given white bread toast and orange juice.

This, of course, has nothing to do with cancer but it explains why arguments that contain, "But the XYZ Association says so" mean absolutely nothing to me.

I have a friend that is a RN and she told me that I was going to kill myself if I follow the Atkins plan the thing is that my Blood sugar numbers are great now and I am losing weight..... not everyone in the medical field know everything about food etc..... if I am going to kill myself... I guess this is the plan to do it...LOL
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I know that this discussion is dead but I wanted to add my experience.

About a year ago I began feeling extremely tired, at 37 yrs old, I needed daily 2 hr naps. I was having significant amount of bleeding to the point that my gyn ordered a pregnancy test to rule out miscarriage. She also did a uterine biopsy. It was discovered that I had complex hyperplasia with atypia. She wanted to do a hysterectomy within 4 wks no longer than 6 wks out. She ended up sending me to an oncologist in case I had cancer and it had spread. After doing some research, I found that 40% of women with this diagnosis had cancer already. I immediately went LC. When I finally got an appointment with the oncologist, she couldn't do surgery for almost 3 more months. Apparently this is a slow growing cancer so she didn't feel the rush. I kept LCing and researching. I discovered that women with PCOS are susceptible to this because of the high levels of estrogen in their bodies. So here's where the sugar/cancer connection comes in for me. Fat cells harbor estrogen, the more fat you have, the more estrogen you have. The more sugar you eat, the more fat you can have. So does sugar feed cancer? I would say yes. And in a side note, when I finally had my surgery, the pathology report came back that I still had complex hyperplasia with atypia. I believe and my gyn believes that LCing halted the cells from turning into cancer. LCing was the difference between me just having surgery and me having surgery, chemo and/or radiation. That makes me a firm believer in how much of a role sugar plays into cancer. But since we are all different, sugar might not have as great an impact on one person as it might the next. But that's my story and opinion.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
WOW BulldogMom thanks for posting. I hope you continue to be healthy.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
WOW BulldogMom thanks for posting. I hope you continue to be healthy.
Thanks so much! I'm doing great! The cancer scare was exactly what I needed. I'm running in 5ks now, my cholesterol levels are in normal range again, blood pressure is great and I'm continuing to lose weight. None of this would have happened if I had gone LC and that wouldn't have happened without the huge wake up call.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote