Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/145.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Anyone have anemia?

I have anemia from kidney disease, not iron deficiency. My doctor wants to treat it with procrit but the side effects are very scary. I wonder if anyone out there has treated their anemia or knows anyone that has. If anemia isn't that bad I wonder if it needs to be treated at all...i'm at 9.4 and it's supposed to be 11.
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
My Mother has anemia and she's been treated with Procrit for about the last three months. She gets her blood tested every week, and if her Hgb falls below 11, she gets an injection (according to her doctor, normal is 12). Before the doctor started treating her, he gave her stool testing kits to make sure she wasn't bleeding from her digestive tract. The tests were negative, so the doctor continued with the Procrit treatment. She got her first injection when her Hgb fell to to 9.8. With treatment, her Hgb varies between 10.4 to 11.4 depending on when she had her last injection, which are usually one to two weeks apart. She hasn't had any side effects, except she said the injection can sting sometimes. After about a month of treatment, a blood test showed that her iron stores had become depleted. The doctor said it could have been a result of the Procrit, which uses iron to be effective. He again had my Mother check her stool for hidden blood, and again the kits were negative. So, he gave her six treatments of iron infusions over 6 weeks which she just completed (each infusion takes around 20 minutes). She feels good and is taking all this in stride. She's older (84) and was diagnosed with stomach & kidney cancer a little over two years ago, but tests show she is now cancer free. She may have to have these injections and infusions for the rest of her life, or, according to her nurse, the treatments may "kick start" her kidneys into producing the chemical that stimulates the bone marrow to make RBC's, and then she wouldn't need the injections (but I'm highly doubtful that that will happen). My Mom feels good and we trust her doctor. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by Ronnie51; 08-26-2013 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Correct grammatical error
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I have all sorts of medical problems and take more pills than you would believe. Among them are 3 iron pills a day. That keeps my iron levels just barely in the normal range. Dr has never suggested I need anything else for it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/145.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
My doctor wants to give me Procrit but I'm afraid of the side effects. Good to know your mom ks doi g well on it. I can't make up my mind about it.
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
My doctor wants to give me Procrit but I'm afraid of the side effects. Good to know your mom ks doi g well on it. I can't make up my mind about it.
I can understand your reservations as I read possible side effects online and it was worrisome. Maybe you can discuss with your doctor that if you Hgb falls below a certain point, perhaps 9.0, then you can get an injection. I don't know at what level transfusions are recommended, but I would imagine that a Procrit shot is preferable over a transfusion. Hopefully, your Hgb won't fall too much more if at all. I'm assuming the doctor checked your iron stores? My Mother just had another blood test today, and her Hgb went up to 11.7 without getting a Procrit shot for weeks, but from the iron infusions. Maybe you need iron? Also, my Mother gets B12 injections.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I have mild hemolytic anemia and take 600 mcg. of Folic Acid 2x/day.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

There are different types/causes of anemia which need to be treated accordingly. Doxielove, you mentioned yours was from kidney disease. Procrit treats the type of anemia that's caused when the kidneys are not producing Erythropoietin which stimulates red blood cell production. Since your doctor wants to treat you with Procrit, I assume that is your cause of anemia and that he tested your iron stores, folic acid level and B12 and they are normal. Again, I would discuss a plan of action with him that if your Hgb falls to a certain level, you would consider an injection.