Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Metformin question

I have a quick question to ask......my sister is getting her blood sugar under control, so happy for her, but she keeps asking me if she should take her 2nd dose of metformin in the evening if her glucose readings are 120 or less, like to 90, if she doesn't plan on eating for the rest of the nite. I don't know what to tell her. I pretty much always have something with mine around 6 pm, cheese, a dinner, whatever. She gets full from lunch, her sugar drops to 95 or so around 7pm and then she doesn't know if she should take her meds. I told her to try to have something and take it, but she isn't. What do you guys think? Should she take it when it's that low and not eat? Does Met work like that? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Met is not a quick acting drug. It also doesn't directly impact blood sugar that quickly. She should take her prescribed dose as recommended by her doctor or pharmacist each day at the appropriate time(s). I have PCOS not diabetes, am eating low carb, and my blood sugar is rock solid but I still currently take 1500 mg metformin ER each night before bed.

ETA: I wouldn't consider a blood gluose reading of 90 as "low". If she is taking other diabetes drugs along with the metformin, those are the ones she should be more concerned about, and check with her doctor or pharmacist if she has questions.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-23-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote