Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Teeth Stains

Is it possible the LC causes teeth stain? I just came back from my dental cleaning and was told that all my teeth had light brown stains. Frankly I did not notice this myself as they are very light but on all teeth. I don't drink coffee or tea, so there is nothing that I can think of will cause this.

The good news is since I started oil pulling with CO 6 months I have no gingivitis or plaque or tartar. My gums are perfect and my doc and hygienist could not believe the improvement. My dentist told me stop using my toothpaste and use baking soda in water. Very little baking soda though. I have been using tooth soap for the past few months, but I guess there is something that is causing the stains. I wonder if eating LC could have anything to do with it.
__________________
Marika

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-14-2013 at 11:07 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 246
Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
That's really interesting...I don't know what about LC could cause it? If anything the higher fat content and low sugar protect the teeth. I wonder if its an acid/alkaline issue?

That great that the oil pulling has helped, I keep wanting to try but not sure how to do it. What do you do and how often? I have gingivitis too and would like to get that under control.
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
I am beginning to wonder if it the b complex I take. It is liquid vitamins with with very strong orange/brown color. I usually rinse my teeth after taking it, but maybe not enough.

Alex, I do the oil pulling first thing in the morning before brushing teeth or eating. I take 1 tbl of CO and swish it in my mouth for 20 min. I then dump it in the garbage because I am afraid to clog the drains with CO and than brush my teeth and drink some water. Go to youtube to see how it is done. It make take you couple of times to get used it. Good luck!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 723
Gallery: Ronnie51
Two dentist visits ago, my hygienist told me the same thing, that my teeth were stained and she asked if I drank a lot of tea...no, not really. Then I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and at my last cleaning the hygienist commented on how white my teeth were. She asked me if I had bleached them. So, I would recommend a Sonicare. Before that I was using a $20 electric toothbrush which didn't work for me, obviously, since my teeth were stained, plus, I used to always scratch the roof of my mouth with that brush.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Two dentist visits ago, my hygienist told me the same thing, that my teeth were stained and she asked if I drank a lot of tea...no, not really. Then I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and at my last cleaning the hygienist commented on how white my teeth were. She asked me if I had bleached them. So, I would recommend a Sonicare. Before that I was using a $20 electric toothbrush which didn't work for me, obviously, since my teeth were stained, plus, I used to always scratch the roof of my mouth with that brush.
I am using Sonicare for the past few years.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 723
Gallery: Ronnie51
As Emily Latella would say on Saturday Night Live, "Never mind".
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
As Emily Latella would say on Saturday Night Live, "Never mind".
Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I think it is my very colorful vitamin b-complex liquid.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 234
Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Can someone explain the oil pulling? Never heard of it.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Can someone explain the oil pulling? Never heard of it.
You swish 1 tbl of oil in your mouth for 15-20 min first thing in the morning and than you spit it out (in the trash can, so that you don't plug your drains) and brush your teeth. This is supposed to remove toxins from the body plus all the plaque and bacteria from your mouth. You may want to google it and check youtube to get a clear explanation.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 399
Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Do you take any medications? Once I was on antibiotics and had the (apparently uncommon but not unheard of) side effect of getting brown stains on my teeth. It went away a while after I stopped taking them. If you do you might go through the fine print to see if tooth staining is a known side effect.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Do you take any medications? Once I was on antibiotics and had the (apparently uncommon but not unheard of) side effect of getting brown stains on my teeth. It went away a while after I stopped taking them. If you do you might go through the fine print to see if tooth staining is a known side effect.
Thanks. No, I don't take anything besides vitamins but my liquid B-complex has strong orange color so I think that's the culprit.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
jennbeingme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada!
Posts: 442
Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
I just went for my dental cleaning and the hygenist was puzzled because both my son and I had staining that was really hard to remove. We puzzled through a while until finally I mentioned that we were on iron supplements- Dentist went "Aha!" apparently if you are getting to much iron in your body it shows up as light browning stains on your teeth. My daughter, on the other hand- apparently does need the iron ( her body is processing all of it) because her teeth had no sign of staining at all.
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbeingme View Post
I just went for my dental cleaning and the hygenist was puzzled because both my son and I had staining that was really hard to remove. We puzzled through a while until finally I mentioned that we were on iron supplements- Dentist went "Aha!" apparently if you are getting to much iron in your body it shows up as light browning stains on your teeth. My daughter, on the other hand- apparently does need the iron ( her body is processing all of it) because her teeth had no sign of staining at all.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I don't take any iron supplements but I wonder of eating too much meat will have the same effect
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,076
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Could you drink the supplement through a straw? You could completely bypass your teeth that way.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!
 
tobelowcarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,274
Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Could you drink the supplement through a straw? You could completely bypass your teeth that way.
Yep, that's what I started doing 2 weeks ago
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 36
Gallery: GO4IT
WOE: Combination Low Carb/Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2013
Yellow Teeth and Other Discoloration: Causes and Treatments


I do not know if this link will get you there but try it. Might answer some of your questions.
Sonicare is a very good automatic toothbrush....wtg there!!
GO4IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.