Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Teeth Stains (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/810051-teeth-stains.html)

tobelowcarber 08-14-2013 11:05 AM

Teeth Stains

Is it possible the LC causes teeth stain? I just came back from my dental cleaning and was told that all my teeth had light brown stains. Frankly I did not notice this myself as they are very light but on all teeth. I don't drink coffee or tea, so there is nothing that I can think of will cause this.

The good news is since I started oil pulling with CO 6 months I have no gingivitis or plaque or tartar. My gums are perfect and my doc and hygienist could not believe the improvement. My dentist told me stop using my toothpaste and use baking soda in water. Very little baking soda though. I have been using tooth soap for the past few months, but I guess there is something that is causing the stains. I wonder if eating LC could have anything to do with it.

alex_in_wonderland 08-14-2013 01:45 PM

That's really interesting...I don't know what about LC could cause it? If anything the higher fat content and low sugar protect the teeth. I wonder if its an acid/alkaline issue?

That great that the oil pulling has helped, I keep wanting to try but not sure how to do it. What do you do and how often? I have gingivitis too and would like to get that under control.

tobelowcarber 08-14-2013 02:40 PM

I am beginning to wonder if it the b complex I take. It is liquid vitamins with with very strong orange/brown color. I usually rinse my teeth after taking it, but maybe not enough.

Alex, I do the oil pulling first thing in the morning before brushing teeth or eating. I take 1 tbl of CO and swish it in my mouth for 20 min. I then dump it in the garbage because I am afraid to clog the drains with CO and than brush my teeth and drink some water. Go to youtube to see how it is done. It make take you couple of times to get used it. Good luck!

Ronnie51 08-17-2013 06:43 AM

Two dentist visits ago, my hygienist told me the same thing, that my teeth were stained and she asked if I drank a lot of tea...no, not really. Then I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and at my last cleaning the hygienist commented on how white my teeth were. She asked me if I had bleached them. So, I would recommend a Sonicare. Before that I was using a $20 electric toothbrush which didn't work for me, obviously, since my teeth were stained, plus, I used to always scratch the roof of my mouth with that brush.

tobelowcarber 08-17-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie51 (Post 16562861)
Two dentist visits ago, my hygienist told me the same thing, that my teeth were stained and she asked if I drank a lot of tea...no, not really. Then I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and at my last cleaning the hygienist commented on how white my teeth were. She asked me if I had bleached them. So, I would recommend a Sonicare. Before that I was using a $20 electric toothbrush which didn't work for me, obviously, since my teeth were stained, plus, I used to always scratch the roof of my mouth with that brush.

I am using Sonicare for the past few years.

Ronnie51 08-17-2013 12:24 PM

As Emily Latella would say on Saturday Night Live, "Never mind". :)

tobelowcarber 08-17-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie51 (Post 16563280)
As Emily Latella would say on Saturday Night Live, "Never mind". :)

:) Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I think it is my very colorful vitamin b-complex liquid.

sarahatl 08-27-2013 09:23 AM

Can someone explain the oil pulling? Never heard of it.

tobelowcarber 08-27-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahatl (Post 16576936)
Can someone explain the oil pulling? Never heard of it.

You swish 1 tbl of oil in your mouth for 15-20 min first thing in the morning and than you spit it out (in the trash can, so that you don't plug your drains) and brush your teeth. This is supposed to remove toxins from the body plus all the plaque and bacteria from your mouth. You may want to google it and check youtube to get a clear explanation.

Avicenna 08-28-2013 08:30 AM

Do you take any medications? Once I was on antibiotics and had the (apparently uncommon but not unheard of) side effect of getting brown stains on my teeth. It went away a while after I stopped taking them. If you do you might go through the fine print to see if tooth staining is a known side effect.

tobelowcarber 08-28-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 16578546)
Do you take any medications? Once I was on antibiotics and had the (apparently uncommon but not unheard of) side effect of getting brown stains on my teeth. It went away a while after I stopped taking them. If you do you might go through the fine print to see if tooth staining is a known side effect.

Thanks. No, I don't take anything besides vitamins but my liquid B-complex has strong orange color so I think that's the culprit.

jennbeingme 09-07-2013 06:51 AM

I just went for my dental cleaning and the hygenist was puzzled because both my son and I had staining that was really hard to remove. We puzzled through a while until finally I mentioned that we were on iron supplements- Dentist went "Aha!" apparently if you are getting to much iron in your body it shows up as light browning stains on your teeth. My daughter, on the other hand- apparently does need the iron ( her body is processing all of it) because her teeth had no sign of staining at all.

tobelowcarber 09-07-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennbeingme (Post 16593855)
I just went for my dental cleaning and the hygenist was puzzled because both my son and I had staining that was really hard to remove. We puzzled through a while until finally I mentioned that we were on iron supplements- Dentist went "Aha!" apparently if you are getting to much iron in your body it shows up as light browning stains on your teeth. My daughter, on the other hand- apparently does need the iron ( her body is processing all of it) because her teeth had no sign of staining at all.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I don't take any iron supplements but I wonder of eating too much meat will have the same effect :dunno:

cfine 09-08-2013 06:47 AM

Could you drink the supplement through a straw? You could completely bypass your teeth that way.

tobelowcarber 09-08-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16595032)
Could you drink the supplement through a straw? You could completely bypass your teeth that way.

Yep, that's what I started doing 2 weeks ago :)

GO4IT 09-17-2013 12:54 PM

Yellow Teeth and Other Discoloration: Causes and Treatments

I do not know if this link will get you there but try it. Might answer some of your questions.
Sonicare is a very good automatic toothbrush....wtg there!!