Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/183/125?
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2014 re-start
Sleeping issue

Hi everyone, I have noticed since Monday when I re-started my moderate carb diet that I am having major sleeping issues. I have been awake for the last 30 hours with a small 1 hour nap this afternoon. I am working out pretty intensely because my entire family is doing a 90 day weightloss challenge, so I would think I would be more tired. I am exercising in the morning, so this cannot be the cause of this problem. I am starting a new job tomorrow and need to be alert, so this is a major problem if it doesn't stop. Has anyone else experienced this and does it go away?
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
My guess would be that it is more related to nervousness/excitement over the new job and is not related to diet.

My opinion is that exercise is a wellness tool, not a weight loss tool.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Exercise raises your cortisol level, even if you exercise in the morning. That combined with your stress about the new job will keep you wired all day. In the evening you have difficulty coming down. 4 hours before bedtime try and stay in the dark with minimum artificial light and put the laptop away. This is to stimulate your melatonin production ,your sleep hormone amongst many other things. Ditch the exercise until your sleep has become better.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
The times that it happened to me was when I was eating too little, feeling chilled and kind of hungry at bedtime.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Exercise raises your cortisol level, even if you exercise in the morning. That combined with your stress about the new job will keep you wired all day. In the evening you have difficulty coming down. 4 hours before bedtime try and stay in the dark with minimum artificial light and put the laptop away. This is to stimulate your melatonin production ,your sleep hormone amongst many other things. Ditch the exercise until your sleep has become better.

Google blue light and sleep. Turn off blue-light emitting TV, laptop, iPad, even cellphone at least 2 hrs before bed and also dim your lights. Any sunlight imitation light bulbs in your house? The wavelength of this particular type of light tells our body it's daylight and starts a hormonal chain reaction that keeps us awake.

I also think that perhaps anxiety/nervousness over your new job has contributed to your inability to sleep.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 08-12-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post

You might consider adding a magnesium supplement in the evening as well.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice I was able to sleep 5 hours this morning so some of the suggestions worked.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
When I go low carb I cannot sleep as well. Might have something to do with your blood sugar levels. I know when I eat a lot of carbs I sleep much, much better. Anyone experience this?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I actually searched the forum after reading everyone's replies and found a ton of information about being in Ketosis causing this problem in a lot of people. It suggests taking melatonin to help but I decided to talk to my doctor and he put me on Ambient for short term use. There are a lot of negatives out there about Ambient, but I have found for me, that is a good solution for me. I am only taking it on the nights before I work and I have no side effects. I am wide awake after 7 hours of sleep. Obviously I don't suggest this to anyone, but for me it was the right solution. So good luck to you sarahati, hopefully you find your solution, going without sleep is awful!