Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I don't no if I was just overly tired or if the melatonin worked, but I slept great last night! yeah!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
The best advice I was ever given to combat trouble sleeping was to take a magnesium supplement and I can't stress how wonderful it's been!! I Buy Natural Calm, it's a powder that you mix into a drink and I drink some every evening.
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
I take magnesium and potassium to prevent foot and leg cramps. I was waking up in the middle of the night with muscle spasms in my feet and legs. I would have to get up and walk them off. Sometimes I could get back to sleep, but usually I was up for the rest of the night because they kept coming back. Since I've been taking the potassium and magnesium, no more cramps and I've been sleeping through the night
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Ketosis definitely causes insomnia for many people. I've seen it discussed here for years!

Melatonin works wonders for me.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
I take magnesium and potassium to prevent foot and leg cramps. I was waking up in the middle of the night with muscle spasms in my feet and legs. I would have to get up and walk them off. Sometimes I could get back to sleep, but usually I was up for the rest of the night because they kept coming back. Since I've been taking the potassium and magnesium, no more cramps and I've been sleeping through the night
I found that I need extra sodium to combat leg cramps. They are sure not an aid to good sleep.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

That melatonin is some good stuff. I used it again last night and I fell asleep quickly and woke up ready to go (instead of going back to bed!)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I restarted Melatonin and Magnesium after being off of them for several weeks. they were not seeming to work for me anymore. But, the last few days they have worked great ! I did up my dose of Melatonin, not sure if that's why or if I just needed a break ??
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

I saw this on my bottle last night. "Limit use to two months with a break of one week."

Maybe you did just need a break.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
It was after 5am last night (this morning?) before I could get to sleep.

Kids had me up by 9.

Feel like I got run over by a truck.

I felt "tired" so didn't take anything.. Ugh.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
At the risk of repeating myself ,Melatonin is a great short term solution. But melatonin is what your body should be producing by itself. If it does not ,the reason why you are not feeling sleepy you might need to look at changing your environment as in dimmed lights ,dark bedrooms etc. Melatonin is produced before you go to bed or fall asleep . It has been tested that if you shine a light on someone who has been in darkness melatonin production stops immediately. It sounds like a new age kind of advice but there is some serious research behind that.
I had sleeplessnes issues as well. Mine was waking up at 4 am like clockwork and falling asleep in front of teh TV only to nit be able to go to sleep once in bed..
I moved my dinner to an earlier time minimum 3 hours before bed and no bright lights only a table lamp on during the evening.I ranted and raved that I would not want be able to sleep before 11 but this week I have gone to bed yawning at 10 pm , a record for me.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 07-31-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Another vote for a magnesium tablet before bed. I take a 500 ct. tablet, which I originally began for constipation issues---LC really stopped me up and nothing else worked. The mag keeps me regular AND turns out to be a great sleeping aide most of the time. I'm a night owl anyway and tend to be wound up rather than down at the end of a day. Within 20 minutes of taking the mag I'm pleasantly drowsy, then out I go.

Magnesium is also a great anti-inflammatory agent. Dr. Eades says if he had to recommend just one supplement to folks it would be magnesium.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys

Last night I was in deep keto. I am finding when I am deep keto I toss and turn but cannot sleep.
My room is dark. My curtains are darkening. I don't usually eat anytime near bed.
I have white noise.
I go to bed to sleep, not just hang out in there.

Last night I had a shot glass of milk of magnesia. I think it's hydrochloride.
Is there only one form of mag that helps?

My son takes melatonin as he has ASD so chronic sleep issues and very low levels naturally.
I don't seem to notice anything from it.

The problem is I have lots of medical sleep aids, but I try to get to sleep naturally first.
Then by the time I'm sure I need the med, it's 3 am and I will be deeply groggy for my kids in the morning.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Milk of magnesia is not the best as it goes through you,the absorption rate is very low. Mag orotate,threonate and taurate are ranked amongst the best. I use magnesium citrate as it is relatively inexepensive and still reasonably well absorbed.
Some other things that may help is some light weight work before bed.Nothing strenuous,something with a little dumbbell or two cans of baked beans or locarb equivalent .Do that only though if you have tried to sleep and can't .
No bright lights when you relax in the lounge. Ideally stay away from TV and PC too.
Daytime: avoid caffeine, go out in the sun to get good levels of vitamin D (your levels might be low) Your sodium intake might be too low ? Ketosis is very hard on maintaining sodium levels,especially if you are running to the bathroom a lot.

I am out of ideas..
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

An Epsom salt bath an hour before bedtime,not too hot might help too.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Aleina
An Epsom salt bath does put me to sleep
If I am stuck, I will do that.
Dh has cal- mag tablets for his leg cramps.
The magnesium is 166mg per tablet. It says its a complex of citrate, fumarate, carbonate , malate, and succinate?!)

333 of calcium, so looks like I can have 3 daily with no problem.
It's not optimal, but I can use it until I get to the store next
Old 07-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Guess I am lucky..... I haven't slept this well in several years, though, sometimes if I get up t go to the bathroom, I can't go back to sleep.... but by and large LC has been awesome for me when it comes to getting to sleep.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Natalia, if Epsom baths send you to sleep then magnesium maybe the answer for you because Epsom salt is none other than magnesium sulfate which you absorb transdermally.
Take your magnesium about an hour before bedtime. If you also take vitamins take those at the latest by lunch time as some like VIT C are stimulants.

Now I am definitely out of ideas
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

@ Garlic,
You have lost way more than I. Maybe you're sleeping more comfortably now because you had a partial breathing obstruction before? Mild sleep apnea? Middle of the night GERD?
Plus since you are much slimmer there would be better alignment of your spine and joints so less tossing and turning.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
@ Garlic,
You have lost way more than I. Maybe you're sleeping more comfortably now because you had a partial breathing obstruction before? Mild sleep apnea? Middle of the night GERD?
Plus since you are much slimmer there would be better alignment of your spine and joints so less tossing and turning.

Well, all my wight except 7 pounds was not on low carb..... but whatever it is, I hope it is from LC..... makes me more committed to staying on plan.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote