Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
This Friday is VERY IMPORTANT to me.

I had blood drawn today, for blood work.... Now, I had it last drawn about 9 weeks ago, and that is why I started low carb.... 10.1 A1c.... Blood sugars in the 250's...... and lots of other diabetic issues.

I know that you need a full 3 months to see a "true" reading of your A1c. I have also heard that it takes up to 3 months after starting LC to get an accurate reading for cholesterol and trigylcerides, but I have also read that you can have significant changes in as little as 4 - 5 weeks.

I am hoping that even after 9 weeks, I see very significant changes in my A1C and lipid panel, for sure, but what I really need to see is my average blood sugar level over this period ( truth be told, I don't filly understand A1c ) From Web MD:

Hemoglobin A1c provides an average of your blood sugar control over a six to 12 week period and is used in conjunction with home blood sugar monitoring to make adjustments in your diabetes medicines. But that doesn't seem to be the exact same thing as a daily level.

But here is the real reason I felt compelled to take the blood work before a full 3 months - my readings on my blood sugar levels are about 1/2 of what they used to be, and I am worried about taking too much blood sugar lowering medicine, I don't want my levels to be too low. So, better safe than sorry, I guess.

I have a real good feeling about EVERYTHING.... and hopefully on Friday, when I get the results, my feelings will be justified.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I hope you get all good news on Friday! I have no doubt that your a1c is going to be very much improved. IMO, it is weighted very heavily toward the last few weeks. There is a chart somewhere, you might be able to find it online, that will give you what blood sugar number (ie, corresponding finger prick number) corresponds to your a1c result.

As for you lipid results you might not see improvement yet and my numbers actually got worse at first... then they got better. So don't let it throw you off if they aren't great. They will either be great on Friday of six months down the road.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Good luck! I agree with Jayne, your lipid/cholesterol numbers may get worse. Don't panic. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living has a very good explaination of why this may happen. I am sure your A1C will be much better. A1C is not a direct measure of blood sugar, but rather a measure of the gylcosylation of your hemoglobin (essentially how much sugar is attached to the hemoglobin - the oxygen-carrying protein - in your red blood cells). Because red blood cells only live for 120 days the amount of sugar attached to them can give a good idea of your average blood sugar over that period of time.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Good luck!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
best of Luck....My blood work was this am...results next Monday
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Good luck brother...
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Garlic,
I hope everything works out for you.
buttercup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
That is a big milestone, I wish you the very best on your A1C!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
good luck with this. but the A1c can be misleading too. it's the highs that are the problem, and you can get a given A1c with various patterns of highs and lows, you know? you need also to monitor to make sure your highs are not too high and your lows are not too low.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Good luck with you A1c. Whenever I have a good number it is always positive reinforcement of this low carb way of eating.

When I started low carb I was ďin controlĒ with an A1c of 6.1. Within a year I was down to 5.1 slowly decreasing my meds, Victoza and metformin, during that year as my daily numbers improved. I am completely off all meds right now but Iím watching it very closely, because if I need to go back on metformin I will to keep my numbers down. It was my Dr. who kept telling me to decrease the dosages. I donít know what meds you are taking but your readings through out the day will tell you if you are going low.

One thing that I noticed, since I wasnít going high after a meal I didnít have the large fluctuations of highs and then lows. Now, if I get into the low or mid 70s I feel fine and donít have to eat something to get my numbers up. I always knew when I was too low and thatís not a good feeling.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
As OCD as you are (in a nice way) about portion sizes and sticking to this WOE I'm positive you'll see better numbers - best of luck!
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
So how were your ##
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote