Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   This Friday is VERY IMPORTANT to me. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/808528-friday-very-important-me.html)

Garlic 07-22-2013 05:45 PM

This Friday is VERY IMPORTANT to me.

I had blood drawn today, for blood work.... Now, I had it last drawn about 9 weeks ago, and that is why I started low carb.... 10.1 A1c.... Blood sugars in the 250's...... and lots of other diabetic issues.

I know that you need a full 3 months to see a "true" reading of your A1c. I have also heard that it takes up to 3 months after starting LC to get an accurate reading for cholesterol and trigylcerides, but I have also read that you can have significant changes in as little as 4 - 5 weeks.

I am hoping that even after 9 weeks, I see very significant changes in my A1C and lipid panel, for sure, but what I really need to see is my average blood sugar level over this period ( truth be told, I don't filly understand A1c ) From Web MD:

Hemoglobin A1c provides an average of your blood sugar control over a six to 12 week period and is used in conjunction with home blood sugar monitoring to make adjustments in your diabetes medicines. But that doesn't seem to be the exact same thing as a daily level.

But here is the real reason I felt compelled to take the blood work before a full 3 months - my readings on my blood sugar levels are about 1/2 of what they used to be, and I am worried about taking too much blood sugar lowering medicine, I don't want my levels to be too low. So, better safe than sorry, I guess.

I have a real good feeling about EVERYTHING.... and hopefully on Friday, when I get the results, my feelings will be justified.

rubidoux 07-22-2013 05:56 PM

I hope you get all good news on Friday! I have no doubt that your a1c is going to be very much improved. IMO, it is weighted very heavily toward the last few weeks. There is a chart somewhere, you might be able to find it online, that will give you what blood sugar number (ie, corresponding finger prick number) corresponds to your a1c result.

As for you lipid results you might not see improvement yet and my numbers actually got worse at first... then they got better. So don't let it throw you off if they aren't great. They will either be great on Friday of six months down the road.

Mistizoom 07-22-2013 06:27 PM

Good luck! I agree with Jayne, your lipid/cholesterol numbers may get worse. Don't panic. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living has a very good explaination of why this may happen. I am sure your A1C will be much better. A1C is not a direct measure of blood sugar, but rather a measure of the gylcosylation of your hemoglobin (essentially how much sugar is attached to the hemoglobin - the oxygen-carrying protein - in your red blood cells). Because red blood cells only live for 120 days the amount of sugar attached to them can give a good idea of your average blood sugar over that period of time.

DiamondDeb 07-22-2013 06:32 PM

Good luck!

frank 07-22-2013 07:39 PM

best of Luck....My blood work was this am...results next Monday

thatphdguy 07-22-2013 08:45 PM

Good luck brother...

buttercup30 07-22-2013 08:54 PM

Garlic,
I hope everything works out for you.

Arctic_Mama 07-22-2013 09:10 PM

That is a big milestone, I wish you the very best on your A1C!

ravenrose 07-22-2013 09:13 PM

good luck with this. but the A1c can be misleading too. it's the highs that are the problem, and you can get a given A1c with various patterns of highs and lows, you know? you need also to monitor to make sure your highs are not too high and your lows are not too low.

Jrw85705 07-22-2013 10:13 PM

Good luck with you A1c. Whenever I have a good number it is always positive reinforcement of this low carb way of eating.

When I started low carb I was ďin controlĒ with an A1c of 6.1. Within a year I was down to 5.1 slowly decreasing my meds, Victoza and metformin, during that year as my daily numbers improved. I am completely off all meds right now but Iím watching it very closely, because if I need to go back on metformin I will to keep my numbers down. It was my Dr. who kept telling me to decrease the dosages. I donít know what meds you are taking but your readings through out the day will tell you if you are going low.

One thing that I noticed, since I wasnít going high after a meal I didnít have the large fluctuations of highs and then lows. Now, if I get into the low or mid 70s I feel fine and donít have to eat something to get my numbers up. I always knew when I was too low and thatís not a good feeling.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

glennjones 07-23-2013 03:12 AM

As OCD as you are (in a nice way) about portion sizes and sticking to this WOE I'm positive you'll see better numbers - best of luck!

tybeeanna 08-18-2013 07:12 AM

So how were your ##