Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Having hysterectomy

Having a full hysterectomy with removal of ovaries and wondering how this is going to affect my weight loss efforts. I've lost 10 lbs and worried about how I'm going to lose more and handle the hormone changes. Will be on estrogen but not til my post-op visit 3 weeks later.
Can someone share their experience with me?
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For those of you women who are going to have a hysterectomy (I had ovaries removed too), IT HURTS LIKE HELL!!!!
I had mine done Aug 9th and it still hurts. Not like it did when I woke up in recovery. But, it hurts. I can go up and down stairs good. NO lifting anything more than around 5 lbs. I drove yesterday and it stirred things up a bit. NOT a good idea!
I had to go to the ER last week. I called the dr because I woke up not feeling well (nausea) and had a bad headache. I was still recovering from the anesthesia. It was really holding on. First time that has happened to me.
I can believe its going to take 9 weeks to recover. I'm so glad I did it though!
And.....they didn't have any opening for my 4 wk visit, so I go in 6 weeks! But, believe me, if I start having issues (hot flashes, mood swings,.....) I will be calling them! LOL

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ylodazy
WOE: No Sugar, No Starch
Start Date: August 13 2013
Yes you can

Tammy, I had a full hysterectomy two years ago, and yes, things do get better. I took some hrt for hot flashes for about a year,then stopped. I was down from my pre-op weight by about fifteen pounds when I started low carb on August 13. Today is one week and I've lost 4 pounds, not bad for a sedentary woman of 68! GL to you, and thank you to your son -- Military family here, two grands in service now, another returned from Iraq last year.
Ylodazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I get started on hrt I'll be taking straight estrogen til I'm about 52. I'm 48 now.
I'm a veteran, my dh is a veteran and my dad is a veteran. Plus we have cousins, aunts and uncles in the military also. I have a cousin, I'm very proud of, who is a Colonel in the Air Force. He was enlisted first, then went to OCS.
It's hard having my son over there, but its what he signed up to do.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Sorry to hear you are in pain but I too believe you will be happier for having done it, down the line. This too shall pass. Hopefully sooner than the 9 weeks you are talking about though.

PS I am taking estrogen now HRT kind of sucks too because they have to do trial and error til they get it right. And mine has not been settled yet--my last set of labwork showed I was taking too much testosterone, and yet I still felt I needed some.

Coming up on 9/11 real fast and so glad you are a whole family of vets! Something to be so super proud of I know you are counting the days til DS comes home. Cannot wait for the day that comes too.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The dr is just doing estrogen. I wonder how my other levels will do. I read on the internet today that tests should be done on all the hormone levels. I wonder what my dr's answers will be when I ask him these questions. How will all the hormone levels be ok with just taking estrogen? hmmm
I can't wait for ds to come back home. Just don't know exactly when! Thats kinda frustrating!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #7

I had blood work done to see my levels of hormones. But others do some other kind of testing. I am thinking it may be saliva testing? Currently I am taking estrogen, progesterone, testosterone---all of them! My clinic does these hormones by pellets. But I didn't have a hysterectomy AND I am going through a hormone clinic, not a regular ole run of the mill doctor. I hope your doc does you right.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday my gyn called in a script for me. Its PremPro. NOT what we discussed before hyst. He said I would be put on straight estrogen. PremPro is a mixed hormone! I called about my concerns and he said it would be ok til I get there next month. He better know what he's talking about. I looked it up and it says not to take this if you have high cholesterol. Well, I do! It says not to take if you have a family history of breast cancer and heart disease, among other things. I have those two things in my immediate family, mom and dad. I'm mostly concerned with what this is going to do to my cholesterol and I have to have blood work done early Sept to see if my cholesterol is coming down. I might just give my dr a call and see if I can hold off another month and tell him why. Geeze! It's always something, isn't it?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

I would hold off on the meds too. He has your medical history right? I wonder why he would prescribe this particular med when it says you clearly should not be on it. Hmm...I hope you will be put on "bio-identical hormones". Those are the ones EVERYONE is recommending. They are from a compounding pharmacy, yes prescription but from a compounding pharmacy. Did you know if the script went to a compounding pharmacy. I would not accept anything but bio-identical hormones and that ONLY comes from a compounding pharmacy.

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-24-2013 at 08:26 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

He prescribed PremPro. It goes to a regular pharmacy. I get my pain meds from a compounding pharmacy (hydrocodone SR cap 50 mg w/acet ). So I know about compounding meds. We didn't even discuss bioidentical hormones. I'll bring it up. Def something to consider. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had to stop taking PremPro. I took it friday and saturday. Then about a half hr after taking it saturday, I got sick. Headache, cramps, bleeding and nausea. It lasted til Sunday, early afternoon. So, informed dr I stopped it. I'm not going to take anything for now.
Monday went to park with my dd and granddaughter. I just sat and watched my granddaughter play but when I got home cramping was bad and had a good bit of bleeding. Called dr.
Got the call back and I explained it all to the nurse and she sad its normal. As stitches dissolve, and I have alot of internal ones, there will be bleeding and pain. I have to take it easy and be patient. I have to just let it heal. 9 weeks is a long time!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #12

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tammy. What a bummer. I wished you could have had a more speedy recovery. While you are inside on some self imposed "bedrest" or at least resting up, you might want to peruse this thread:

Bio Identicals and weight loss/ UPDATE

I know you are not interested in hormone replacement therapy, but we talk about estrogen in there. And there might be a link or 2 you might be interested in. I joined in the conversation a bit late, but found all the info interesting.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I sure will go take a look! Thank you! When I go to the dr I have alot of questions to ask him.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Do you mind if I ask what kind of surgery you had? Just curious about the long recovery time. I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy (uterus & ovaries) and I was back to work in 3 weeks, and I know someone else that that had a traditional hysterectomy and was fine & back to work after about 6 weeks. 9 weeks just seems like a long time to heal.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a robotic hysterectomy with both ovaries and cervix removed. I have 4 incisions and everything was removed vaginally. I had endo and he also looked inside of my bladder.
My incisions are pretty much healed, just one thats slower than the rest. I had to call the dr yesterday bc of pain and he said I have alot of stitches inside and they take a long time to heal. So, 9 weeks it is! I guess if I had a desk job with not much walking, I could go back to work after 3 weeks. But, I'm disabled and unable to work .
I've had women tell me they were driving and feeling great after 2 weeks, but they had the uterus removed and thats it. I guess everyone's surgery is different. I can drive short distances, but too long and the pain increases. Idk......
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't believe it! I have officially missed a period! LOL But I am soooo happy! Ya'all have no idea of the pain I went thru every single month for the last year. Because of the endometriosis. This is amazing! I will deal with these hot flashes anyday. They're nothing compared to feeling like I was in labor 2-3 days every single month. Having to miss out on things because I couldn't get out of bed. I have no idea why I waited so long. Thanks to my dd who made me call the dr in July.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #17

So happy for you what wonderful news.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dawn!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzieQ
Hi Tay, I also had a robotic (davinci) hysterectomy and three years later, I feel that for me, it was the best decision. The pain & issues I dealt with every month were horrible. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.
SuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
After my total hysterectomy 12years ago, I was on Estrace up until I switched doctors in the last few months. They would check my estrogen levels and tell me everything was fine. When I started going to an integrative medicine practice, they checked something else(something about the way the estrogen turns into the bad kind) and found that my levels were 12 times higher than what they were supposed to be. I am now on bio identical hormones and feeling much better. If I could go back and do it ll over again, I would find a doctor who would prescribe the bio identical hormones. I feel like the regular kind of hrt has caused me a lot of harm.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzieQ
Cfine,

Sorry to hear that but glad you are doing better now.
SuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
Had to stop taking PremPro. I took it friday and saturday. Then about a half hr after taking it saturday, I got sick. Headache, cramps, bleeding and nausea. It lasted til Sunday, early afternoon. So, informed dr I stopped it. I'm not going to take anything for now.
Monday went to park with my dd and granddaughter. I just sat and watched my granddaughter play but when I got home cramping was bad and had a good bit of bleeding. Called dr.
Got the call back and I explained it all to the nurse and she sad its normal. As stitches dissolve, and I have alot of internal ones, there will be bleeding and pain. I have to take it easy and be patient. I have to just let it heal. 9 weeks is a long time!
How is it going now? I am reading a book on Perimonepause and it states that if you no longer have a uterus then you don't NEED to be on the progesterone along with the estrogen. The estrogen "If you still have the uterus, can stimulate the growth of cancerous cells on the uterus. *In my case I have to have the progesterone IF I am on estrogen since I still have all my lady parts. If I am taking the progesterone I don't need to have the estrogen because it is OK on its own. If I am prescribed the estrogen and don't take the progesterone I can get possibly get cancer* I hope I have not muddied the waters for you. But what I am saying is if your doctor says you only need estrogen, that is OK IF you don't have your uterus. You didn't say it was removed? And in the chart she has, it specifically lists prempro as a popular script. So it sounds as if your doc knows some stuff because the prempro is a combo of the estrogen and progesterone. Any new meds of yet?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
After my total hysterectomy 12years ago, I was on Estrace up until I switched doctors in the last few months. They would check my estrogen levels and tell me everything was fine. When I started going to an integrative medicine practice, they checked something else(something about the way the estrogen turns into the bad kind) and found that my levels were 12 times higher than what they were supposed to be. I am now on bio identical hormones and feeling much better. If I could go back and do it ll over again, I would find a doctor who would prescribe the bio identical hormones. I feel like the regular kind of hrt has caused me a lot of harm.
Yup. Estrace is on the chart too. So sorry you have had to go through that. Have they told you what to do to get rid of the estrogen? My bio-identical doc told me to take "indol-3 carbinol" in addition to avoiding plastics and all estrogen containing lotions/creams and such.