Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
Constipation

I know its been discussed many times, but I need to know what my husband can do for constipation. Is there a natural way to relieve constipation on low carb? I never seem to have a problem, but he wants to stop the low carb because of constipation. I don't want him to do that because it will be hard on me. However, I don't want him to suffer.
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Due to diuretics I've been taking, I've had to start using one. My choice is the sugar-free Metamucil. Yeah it says 5 carbs but it's all fiber (normally that means nothing to me as I count even fiber carbs but so far so good). I started at 3x a day because I was having serious trouble with impaction (TMI?). I still take it 3x a day just to keep regular and not have to strain (which you shouldn't). It has been a lifesaver for me.

Oh and relief is usually within 48 hours.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Salt. at least 3000 mg per day, but preferably 4000 to 5000 mg. Heart/kidney patients and those non-compliant to a LC plan, don't try this trick at home. Aim for 1-2 tsp table salt or sea salt added to what is already used, or have 2 cups full salt broth per day.
Water.
Good fats-- olive oil, butter, and for some people, cream and cheese. But for other people, dairy can bind you up.
judicious use of a magnesium source like magnesium oxide or other forms that promote bowel functioning.
check for excessive calcium supplementation--- excess calcium can constipate.
Double dose of vitamin C. (C is water-soluble, so it won't build up to dangerous amounts. THe excess is excreted through urine and bowel movements.

ETA just wanted to add that metamucil acts by sucking water out of the intestinal tract. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but in my opinion it makes it tricky to keep your water/minerals in balance on a fiber regimin for constipation. YMMV.

Last edited by emel; 07-20-2013 at 07:08 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Eat a few pieces of sugar free candy. The sugar alcohols will work miracles.
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TrueYou
Stats: 317/305/190 (5'10")
WOE: low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 17, 2013
I notice that dairy products bother him. He cannot eat cheese for sure. He works outside and drinks a ton of water. Thanks for all the info!
TrueYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Sugar free candies do have a laxative effect, but they can also cause terrible gas, cramping and bloating. What I've been using with no side effects is Miralax....it's changed my life as far as bathroom habits. Every morning like clockwork, no straining, no cramps. You stir a capful into any liquid until it dissolves and drink it (I mix it in with tea or coffee or a plain glass of water). It's tasteless and completely dissolves without altering the texture of the liquid. It works by drawing water from your colon into your stool. My doctor has approved it for long term use as it's not a stimulant laxative. It does take a few days to take effect, but when it kicks in, it works REALLY well. He may have to play around with the dosage to find what works for him...I take a full dose 4-5 days per week. I hope he finds what works for him.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 07-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: correct grammatical error
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Magnesium supplementation - I take 500 mg chelated magnesium a day, though I think the magnesium citrate I used to take worked better for constipation. I personally avoid magnesium oxide as it isn't absorbed very well. I can't eat much more than 3000 mg sodium a day or I retain water and even sometimes get edema in my legs, so the high sodium on LC thing doesn't work for me. I do occassionally take a 100 mg docusate sodium pill (generic of Colace) which helps. Also flaxseed meal or psyllium husk powder (what's in Metamucil) can help. I know some people eat a LC flax muffin daily. You can also make LC bread with flax or psyllium husk powder.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-20-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote