Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Ignorance IS Bliss! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/808248-ignorance-bliss.html)

rockinpeach 07-18-2013 11:23 AM

Ignorance IS Bliss!

Sorry for the rant but I'm a bit frustrated. I had a convo with my SO this morning that just about sent me through the roof. :annoyed:

It started because it's his 41st bday today and he's not happy because he's getting older. I told him that it doesn't have to be that way (ie: slow the aging and disease process by eating lc). Well long story short, I told him that there are ppl in their 70's that are still active and healthy. He said it isn't about health it's about age and the eating part has absolutely nothing to do with it. :confused: How you age has everything to do with your health and your health is determined largely by what you eat! Then he goes on to say that 30 yrs ago they had healthy food, now all they have is these nasty chemicals and they have to come up with all these stupid diets and so called healthy food. :sad:

I tried to talk about it like a grown up but he got mad because I don't believe what he does and refused to talk about it anymore. I asked if we could just agree to disagree because I don't feel like wasting my time trying to convince someone who is so convinced with his own ideas that he won't even consider anything else. He said that his way is how it is, how can you not see that?...REALLY? :dunno: :stars: Omg, he is mad at me because I don't think the way he does. :confused: I'm not mad because he's living in denial lol.

Wow, I feel better now. Thanks for "listening" to my rant.

Racquel

jaws 07-19-2013 01:04 AM

I believe that never in human history has our food supply been safer, thanks to broadly-applied standards and modern refrigeration methods. In my experience, the greatest loss of power people experience as they age is caused by inactivity and obesity, not by pesticides in their celery.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could blame all of our problems on intangible "chemicals," rather than our own choices?

No matter what I know you will succeed in what you try to do!

GME 07-19-2013 08:32 AM

Is he talking about the nutrition value of food being less than it used to be?

There are many, many people who believe that. Food is produced to be resistant to pests and diseases, high-yield, transportable and pretty. Processed food is filled with things we would be better off without. Whether it is safe from spoilage or even free of pesticides does not necessarily mean it has all the nutrition of food someone's grandmother would have grown in her garden or raised on her ranch.

All if that doesn't mean you throw in the towel though. You do the best you can with what you have.

He could just be throwing a birthday fit and you got in its way with sensible talk. :laugh:

Ronnie51 07-19-2013 09:22 AM

No one likes getting older, but the fact remains we can't control it. With all the stress we deal with in life, it doesn't do anyone any good to stress over something we can't control. As a woman a lot older than your husband, I've dealt with those feelings for the past 20 years (it doesn't help that I'm 5-1/2 years older than my DH). I hated how my doctor starting treating me differently as I got older. I finally was able to accept the fact that I can't stop this one-way train, but I can certainly slow it down. I have exercised consistently for the past 30 years and after a bout of not-so-healthy eating, I'm back on the right track. I weigh 108 pounds, am very fit (how many 61-year old women do you know who can do 20 men's pushups?), stay out of the sun (and use daily sunscreen) and eat healthy (no more processed foods and empty carbs) and it shows. My husband loves asking me to show people my biceps. The benefits of my lifestyle became very evident when my twin sister was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease and had to have a stent implanted (she doesn't exercise or eat healthy). While I'm genetically at high risk for heart disease and take meds to prevent it, I'm happy to say that I have no issues like my sister and that is proof that living your life a certain way will make all the difference in how much you enjoy it health wise. After stressing about aging like your DH, I'm finally at a good place even though I have to admit that I don't love getting older. Your DH needs a serious attitude adjustment which merely involves the realization that stressing over getting older just ages you more. Hopefully, he will realize this and make his life happier. I also want to add that 41 is YOUNG! I wish you both the best that life has to offer.

lterry913 07-19-2013 01:43 PM

Just let him watch you keep losing weight and feeling great...eventually maybe he will get it...For guys I usually suggest primal or paleo diets as they sound more masculine and include the kinds of whole food he is talking about. Good luck and just grin and bear it.
Congrats on your loss so far :)

Natalia 07-19-2013 07:48 PM

I think he is just being crabby because of his birthday. He doesn't want to think about his age-> getting older -> dying someday. Low carb or not, healthy or not, we all have an expiration date.

I think it wasn't the right time to launch into a lc discussion. Hopefully, he will be feeling better in a day or two. (my dad was a complete psycho b everytime he had a birthday)

Nelle Belle 07-19-2013 08:03 PM

Get him the book Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge.
I loved the book so much I bought 10 copies and gave them away. (my sister in law owns a bookstore). Now if I only could follow the advice regularly.
It is an easy read and makes complete sense.