Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   LC caution (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/808229-lc-caution.html)

avid 07-18-2013 05:56 AM

LC caution

I'm struggling right now to keep my attitude positive.
Many of us find that LC is the key to weight loss and health.
I am one of those people. But many of us also report a down side to this woe, namely constipation. I am one of those too.
My journey has been basically uplifting in every way imaginable. Losing weight, gaining health and fitness, even improved spirituality.
But recently the constipation came back and caused me to strain during some bm's. I now have a groin hernia that is either uncomfortable, or downright painful. Immediate surgery is not required, but I expect to pursue this option after my son gets married in September.
I'm in prayer often these days to fight off depression.
The gym, which I visited several days a week is out. This is a big loss for me because it was a great way to feel good about myself. It also acted as a great tension reliever, and even a social event. LOL I made a couple of friends and one is a real joker. Even some routine housekeeping chores are off the table. I went from being a vibrant, active 63 years young to a fragile and cautious old man.
Anyway, my concern is for those who, like me may have some constipation issues now that 'healthy whole grains" and other bulk starches are eliminated from our diets.
Be careful to stay regular and whatever you do, don't strain.
For me, the damage is done. It is my wish however, that by sharing this experience I can help at least one person spare themselves an avoidable and painful injury.

princessmommy 07-18-2013 06:19 AM

Ah sweetie I am So sorry. I hope you feel better soon!! I know what you mean by fragile, with my Fibromyalgia I feel that way at times. It limits stuff I can do and want So badly to do. It Stinks!! Do your Drs have a plan for you on how to recover from the hernia? My husband had umblicial hernia surgery 2 yrs ago

Emily-D 07-18-2013 07:23 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling this way and hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I know that some supplements can cause constipation and we low carbers tend to take a lot more supplements. I have found probiotics to be helpful, especially one that also contains prebiotics.

Whatever you do, avoid bran! That stuff is evil.

lterry913 07-18-2013 07:47 AM

Can you still go to the gym and just do the treadmill or something that does not cause you to strain yourself like doing some curls with very light 2lb weights...just do a few more thatn you would dwith the heavier weight...just be there with your new friends. Depression is awful, I have mild bouts of it myself. Make it a point to do something for YOU...You need to set aside some time durring the day to do this to keep yourself from slipping further into a depression...As for the constipation I have had issues since childhood and find coconut oil and probiotics to be extremely helpful. I also take a magnesium tablet at night and in the a.m. So far so good...Stay away from fiber if already constipated as it will just bind you up more. When taking fiber one has to really up the water intake or it just sucks the fluid there is in the intesines up to bulk up the stool...in most cases this just aggrivates the problem...I know that is a very oversimplified explanation but it's the easiest way to explain.

Blue Skies 07-18-2013 07:55 AM

Avid, have you ever tried a magnesium supplement? I had big problems with constipation on LC till I started taking one 500 ct tablet a night before I go to bed. Absolutely does the trick for me and many others here. Plus it's a great anti-inflammatory and for many a good sleep aide.

So sorry this has happened. Is it major surgery to have it fixed? Do the docs want you to wait? Understand about your son's wedding, but just curious about all this, as I don't know much about it. Hate to think of you having to deal with this till fall.

Do you like to read? That might be one thing that fills in some hours and takes your mind off feeling down, although I do understand it's solitary and not physical. Can you take nice long walks w/this condition? Sometimes just getting out of the house helps, and a walk is physical and can, I think, be uplifting, if not like the gym.

Good luck and hope this is only a bump in the road. You've done so great!

SlowSure 07-18-2013 08:15 AM

I second the magnesium suggestion.

I'm going to assume that you already know the caveats for something I'm about to mention and that it would take careful experimentation and that it's not possible to predict the effect for someone else.

My suggestion is that you try supplementing with Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch. Although the nutrition label reads as if it is wholly starch, it is 80% resistant starch and (for the vast majority of people) it will pass through your small intestine with very little of it being digested. It passes to your large intestine where various of your gut flora will fall upon it as if they are ravening wolves that have happened across some lost lambs. Your gut flora can adore this stuff and will convert what they can of it to ketones (beta hydroxybutyrate) which they will use locally.

The stuff that isn't converted just eases its way out.

I had substantial problems - particularly because I'm eating a very low volume of food (I'm following a modified ketogenic protocol for migraine control and the majority of my calories is from MCT oil) but the magnesium and unmodified potato starch mean that I no longer experience constipation.

Definitely a YMMV but there is a lot of discussion about unmodified potato starch and resistant starch as helpful to the gut on various fora and blogs as well as some good compilations of the clinical research into resistant starch. You start off with a couple of teaspoons a day and work your way up to 4 Tbsp (if necessary) but lots of people find that they're fine with 2 Tbsp.

Annabel Lee 07-18-2013 08:34 AM

I am so sorry you are having such difficulties.:console:
I find that nuts keep things moving smoothly for me.
But you do need to eat quite a few which can really mess with you carb totals.

There must be some exercise you could do at the gym.........something with your arms?
You could even go in just to say hi and get suggestions from others as to what exercise would be OK.
I sure hope you are able to keep in touch with your buddies at the gym.

thatphdguy 07-18-2013 09:01 AM

Avid,
I am sorry about your troubles...You are such an inspiration...
I hope you feel better soon.

Ronnie51 07-18-2013 09:01 AM

I've had chronic constipation for years and what has helped me tremendously is Miralax (I buy the Costco brand which costs a lot less). My doctor has approved using this long term. If you try it, you may have to experiment as to the best dosage for you. I found 4 - 5 times per week is perfect for me. I've also started drinking more water per my doctor's instructions, but, in all honesty, the Miralax worked when I wasn't drinking much water. But I do feel better in other ways now that I've started drinking more water. I wish you good luck.

ravenrose 07-18-2013 09:08 AM

sorry to hear that *hug* best of luck with it.

I have to eat my flax muffins every day, with a pot of tea at the same time, or I get terribly constipated. some people are luckier, I guess.

Natalia 07-18-2013 09:31 AM

I drink a shot glass of milk of magnesia every other day. LC doesn't constipate me, but pain meds do. The MoM keeps things moving along.

SkeeterN 07-18-2013 11:07 AM

I personally must take magnesium to go and it helps to all fish oil or flax oil maybe both.

SkeeterN 07-18-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16520654)
I drink a shot glass of milk of magnesia every other day. LC doesn't constipate me, but pain meds do. The MoM keeps things moving along.

Might I suggest taking Magnesium tablets. I take 3....500 mg but one can adjust their need accordingly. MOM is like drinking dirt :sick:

avid 07-18-2013 01:41 PM

I appreciate all the good will....I have various remedies for constipation including tips I picked up here at LCF. Truth is, somedays they work better than others. Like I said though, the damage is done. The problem wasn't constipation per se, it was straining.
As for my plan of action...? Well, unfortunately there is only one fix for my kind of hernia and that's surgery. Some people can live with the discomfort and the limitations. I'm on a 'wait and see' as far as that is concerned. My son is getting married in September. I have my tickets etc. so no surgery before then. I bought a truss and it worked surprisingly well, thank God for that.
After the wedding unless I'm sure I can live with it, I'll probably meet with a surgeon to see what he says. That gives me two full months to adjust.
And yes, doc says I can go to the gym and do just what you said, use the tredmill, stationary bike and light dumbells. I need a few more pain free days before I try that, but I look forward to laughing with my 'gym buddies' and toning up.
Thanks again to everyone for you support.