Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rollike
Edema in legs, fingers and ankles

Hello
I am new here, I am sorry if i am posting in the wron forum. Please feel free to correct me.

For 4 days agao i went back on my Low Carn High Fat diet (LCHF), and i believe that i am en ketosis right now, all though i now used a kotonemeter. So I can't be sure.

This morning i noticed my weight had gone up, and later in the day i noticed that my legs, feet and ankles were swelling (fingers too, but not as much).

I gave birth for 1 year ago (in 12 days) and on and off i have been having trouble with swelling legs and ankles.

I thought that it had something to do with the pregnancy and birth. But for a period i have not been eating LCHF, and have not hav any problems with swelling at all.

So now i am wondering if it a coincidence or my swelling has to do something with the LCHF and ketosis?

i have been searching, but most results are telling that swelling problems disappearing on low carb diets.

Can some one help me to figure out what to do about it, and if it could have something to do with the diet?
Thank you in advance
R
Rollike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Please, ask your doctor this because it could be a medical issue.
Diet-wise, are you eating a lot more sodium than you normally do?
Do you take any medications?

Again, most importantly, talk to your doctor about it.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Please, ask your doctor this because it could be a medical issue.
Diet-wise, are you eating a lot more sodium than you normally do?
Do you take any medications?

Again, most importantly, talk to your doctor about it.
Oh you are so right about the doctor... I just fear that he thinks this low carb diet is a fad

Hmm.. yes I might be eating more sodium, but not a whole lot more i think.
I do not take any kind of medications
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

In every other way I have never been feeling better. So i would e so frustrated if I have to give it up
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The edema may be a medical issue (which is why you should see your doctor), but I doubt very much if it is in any way 'caused' by your low-carb eating. As you mentioned, low-carb is generally diuretic.

So it is much more likely that it's a coincidence that your edema occurred at the same time, and, personally, I wouldn't even mention my low-carb eating to the doctor if I know he's opposed to this WOE.

You don't indicate where you live, but right now where I am the heat and humidity is very high--and it is common for weather like that to cause water retention, so it may be something as simple as that. However, there are other medical issues that cause water retention, so it's best to check with your doctor if this persists.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The edema may be a medical issue (which is why you should see your doctor), but I doubt very much if it is in any way 'caused' by your low-carb eating. As you mentioned, low-carb is generally diuretic.

So it is much more likely that it's a coincidence that your edema occurred at the same time, and, personally, I wouldn't even mention my low-carb eating to the doctor if I know he's opposed to this WOE.

You don't indicate where you live, but right now where I am the heat and humidity is very high--and it is common for weather like that to cause water retention, so it may be something as simple as that. However, there are other medical issues that cause water retention, so it's best to check with your doctor if this persists.
Thank you. I'll go see my doctor
It has been coming and going for a year now. So even though we have hot weather now, i am not sure this is the only reason

Thank you very much for your help
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aubreysrose
I have experienced the same thing

I have lymphedema. Back in the 80's I did the medifast diet and lost 135 pounds. Fast forward and I have gained it back and more....I know same story different person. So I tried both Paleo AND South Beach following them both to a T and both times I felt great for the first 3 days, experienced the directic effect and then I would start to hold significant more water and gain weight.

I told my doctor about this and she said she had not heard of this and would have to research.

What I did seem to experience was if I juiced veggies for 2 meals and then a meat and veggie dinner, then I lost 60 pounds faster than I have ever experienced. Wish I didn't grow tired of drinking all my food
aubreysrose is offline   Reply With Quote