Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Blood pressure

I decided to start Atkin's because I just found out that I have PCOS and I've heard that low carb diets are best for it.. I just started Friday. I went to the doctor last Wednesday and my blood pressure's been high, so she's had me to start checking it & keeping track of it. The past few times I've checked it at the grocery store in their pharmacy department it had been 130/something, but yesterday it was 150/88. I've heard Atkins is supposed to lower your blood pressure? About how long does that take? Or is it possible that it's making it higher? I really want to get this under control, I don't want to start taking blood pressure meds
CarbsAreOfTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012

I have found LC eating and losing 60 lbs. hasn't helped my blood pressure that much unfortunately. I often get pre-hypertensive or even level 1 hypertensive measurements. However, last time I went to the internal med doc in early June, I got two fairly high readings from the machine that the medical assistant used. At the end of the appointment the actual M.D. did a manual reading and did it "correctly" - my arm was at the same level of my heart, she fully supported my arm, my back was supported, my feet were on the floor, she didn't talk to me during the reading or excpect me to speak, she used the correctly sized cuff, etc. When she did the manual reading it came out completely normal. I don't know how large you are, but it has also been shown that larger arms are "conical shaped" and don't fit well into regular rectangular shaped cuffs, even if a large/appropriately sized cuff is used. So I would recommend doing some reading on getting a proper blood pressure reading, and making sure your doctor's office is following those procedures. If not, the reading could be artifically high. Also, I would not trust the grocery store machines. They are notoriously inaccurate. If you go to a pharmacy you trust, you might ask if the pharmacist can do a manual reading for you instead.

ETA: I am now exercising (walking 3-4 days/week and light strength training) and taking 1000 mg/day fish oil to try and keep my blood pressure in the normal range. However, the exercise may be slowing my weight loss.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-11-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, losing a lot of weight normally drops your blood pressure, but I don't see any reason to think low carbing per se will do that. it's very dangerous. meds are a good idea, I think. you can always cut or drop them later if you no longer need them.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Those public machines are notoriously pretty inaccurate. And to get a decent reading you should be sitting quietly for about 10 minutes beforehand. I bought a home BP monitor to keep track of mine in the hopes that I wouldn't have to go on meds. And my BP did go down after I'd lost about 20 pounds, so even though I'm on other meds that make my BP higher than normal my doc didn't insist on meds to correct for it. But if it had stayed high, I would have taken the meds because I'd rather take a pill than risk kidney damage.

So give it a little more time, as the first couple weeks of low carb are a major shakeup for your body.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote